The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

@ aryayush: your signature is indeed the best post I read in a long time.GHad me in splits for nearly 10 mins...:p

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall

Attention to detail - Presenting The Finer Details

For all other hardware/software companies, take a leap out of Apple’s book. Start paying attention to the fine details. It’ll be noticed.
*www.glennwolsey.com/2007/09/12/presenting-the-finer-details/

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

drgrudge said:
I was planning a LAN connection between my Mac and PC. And I'll have the net connection for my PC. Can I use the normal wired connection and WiFi at the same time (ie the router supports such a thing?)
yes, you can. normally the wifi access point also double up as wired hubs. so u can haf a wired connection wid ur desktop and a wireless connection wid "all" ur laptops!

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

drgrudge said:
Rs 540 pm is cool. 2Mbps for 14 hours it good enough for me. I was sulking thinking that I'll be stuck with 256k line when I'm in Chennai! :D Is the service available all over India?
Yes, it is. :)

shady_inc said:
@ aryayush: your signature is indeed the best post I read in a long time.GHad me in splits for nearly 10 mins...:p
Thank you! I was having a Hell of a time myself when I was writing that up. :p

To everyone who is apprehensive about Tata Indicom's use of the word "upto" before 2Mbps, check out the attached image. I must admit that even when I'd decided to buy the connection, I hadn't thought that they would actually give speeds this close to 2Mbps regularly, if at all. I am so happy. :D

I still find it surreal that I click on the AirPort icon (or don't, as it gets connected automatically) now instead of the Ethernet icon. I'd always believed that Wi-Fi was a faraway dream, a luxury limited to the rich people with money to burn. Milind opened my eyes. It is awesome; not having to connect any wire (except for the MagSafe, of course) and still getting mind-blowing speeds. WOW! :D :D

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

^^^ thats seriously good!! no provider has an unlimited 2mbps connection now and as cheap as 540pm!

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall

infra_red_dude -
That's cool! LAN and WiFi btw my 2 computers. :D Complete with the Sennheiser headsets, External HDD and the rest of the gizmo, the setup should now look awesome! :D

aryayush -
It's time that I scout for the Tata Indicom connection and kiss BSNL goodbye. :)

vish786

"The Gentleman"

can someone post snapshots of both tiger mac and leopard mac, i dont know difference in both. :(

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

not much ... 1 is crappier than the other ... :lol:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

mera jawaab sahi hai ... arya aa k pakayega :D

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

vish786 said:
can someone post snapshots of both tiger mac and leopard mac, i dont know difference in both. :(
Leopard is the next version of Mac OS X; Tiger is the current one.

Tiger is the world's most advanced operating system; Leopard makes Tiger look outdated.

The following things have been added/improved in Leopard (compared to Tiger):
Accessibility
Automator
Boot Camp
Dashboard
Desktop
DVD Player
Finder
Front Row
iCal
iChat
Mail
Parental Controls
Photo Booth
Quick Look
Safari
Spaces
Time Machine

It is the biggest Mac OS X upgrade ever! :D

This is the Leopard desktop:
*www.thinksecret.com/archives/leopard9a527/image/01.jpg

goobimama

 Macboy

Was I the only one using Wi-Fi for most of my connections for the past one and half years? The setup is so simple and cheap, that its almost a crime not to use it. I can't think of plugging in a network cable into the laptop or even my iMac. Only when I need to do some serious data transfer, I plug in the network cables.

Though even though there is no setup required on the Mac (PC to Mac), I always have to run around configuring the Vista PC with all kinds of "private" or "Public" networks... I mean common, just make it plug and play (and leave the advanced settings only if needed).

@grudge: Give me any connection pleaaase! Kuch to dedey. If only the telecom companies knew how much I'm willing to spend on a connection to my home :(

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

goobimama said:
@iMav and gx: I envy you guys, cause everything works just fine for you'll even though you run it through Windows. These kinds of miracles are hard to come by...

Its not that hard. I am using airtel connection with a dataone modem which was quite heavy duty & full of features. I have 2 connection in my home, one is unlimited airtel 128 kbps & then home 500 plan from BSNL which i only use when airtel is down or every night downloading at 2 am. In few days I m switching to BSNL 256 kbps unlimited.

Now, the airtel guy came & configured the modem which I wrote in a text file, then BSNL guy came & he made another profile in router or modem or whatever u call it. Everything was saved in the modem, just start modem enable LAN & it internet starts to work. This was before i installed vista. After vista, I did nothing, just installed vista & it connected to net automatically.

Then one day my friends came with his laptop & needed some files & movies from my computer. He has vista home premium installed in his HP. My computer is connected to the wireless & wired router of BSNL via a Lan cable. So to share, I just went into network & sharing center & tried to check how to connect. I never connected over WiFi before this. I went there & clicked "Connect to a network", it failed....damn

then I went to his computer & saw wireless network was off....woops..I turned it on & set it to private. Then went to my computer again & just like bluetooth mobile paring, it found his Laptop & connected. We were sharing files & internet in second...no configuration required.

The following things have been added/improved in Leopard (compared to Tiger):
Accessibility
Automator
Boot Camp
Dashboard
Desktop
DVD Player
Finder
Front Row
iCal
iChat
Mail
Parental Controls
Photo Booth
Quick Look
Safari
Spaces
Time Machine

Isn't the bold part the only thing newly added. :D U wrote desktop....lolz...Mac OS used to lack a desktop before leopard kya?

goobimama

 Macboy

^Those features have been improved upon in leopard.

There's this guy right now in the office. He's totally sold on Macs. Just saw me using Coda while doing a web page and asked me to install it on his craptop. Nope! Only on Macs.

Right now he's browsing through www.apple.com/imac :D

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

gx_saurav said:
then I went to his computer & saw wireless network was off....woops..I turned it on & set it to private. Then went to my computer again & just like bluetooth mobile paring, it found his Laptop & connected. We were sharing files & internet in second...no configuration required.
NOT POSSIBLE! you said ur comp. is connected thru wired LAN. yaar, plz post things which are believable and be consistant!!! :D :D

you need to setup the ip address and be on the same workgroup for the other comp. to be visible in ur network. believe me, its not as easy as you say here widout keying in some parameter/settings. neither in windows nor in linux!!!!

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

He's plain old lying, as usual. You don't need to look for any evidence. If I had a rupee for every time someone's busted this guy for lying (specially Eddie), I'd at least be a centurion by now. :p

I doubt he's ever even used Wi-Fi because in one thread, when we were discussing the iPod touch and technofunky expressed his appreciation for the Wi-Fi feature, he asked him what good would the Wi-Fi be in India. techno said that he has a Wi-Fi network at his home/office and this shut this guy up. It was pretty clear, at least to me, that he has never used Wi-Fi and the concept of Wi-Fi being common and easily accessible is just as strange to him as it is (was) to me.

Of course, he will now try to support his previous lie with another one because in this case, we have no way to prove him wrong. Another thing: in all the screenshots he has posted till date (and even videos), I have never seen any evidence of a Wi-Fi network. Now, I don't know how Windows denotes that a Wi-Fi network is active but I guess there must have been some evidence. The Mac OS X screenshots never had Wi-Fi turned on.

He is lying, plain and simple.

goobimama

 Macboy

I'm usually quite intuitive with how to go about doing things with a computer, but when it comes to networks, I'm zero. At least that's what I thought. Only later did i realise that it was Windows networking that sucked. And Vista has done nothing to improve it.

- There's "Private" network and "Public" network. You have to choose either one. What each does, I don't know, but I just randomly try both hoping that I'll get my network working properly. Sometimes Public works, sometimes private.

- Internet sharing is a total pain. Very rarely do I get the settings right, only to find that I have to reformat the PC cause of a viral attack.

- In XP there was a way to search for an IP over the network. I could just type in the IP, in case the PC didn't show up in the networks list, and it would search it. There's no such thing in Vista. I have to rely upon the "Network" tab to show me my available choices.

Now maybe I'm bad at Windows networking, but one thing I can be sure, you can't be 'good' or 'bad' at networking on a Mac. Right out of the box, I plugged in the network cables in my iBook and iMac, and they showed up on the network.

Right out of the box, I clicked "Create Network" in the wireless tab, and "selected" that network in the iMac, and everything worked. To share internet, I just go to Share > Internet. That's it.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

whether XP or vista, its not that simple. believe me. i've worked. i used to run vista basic on my laptop (now i'm back on XP) and XP pro on my desktop. both haf wifi and connect to the net thru a linksys wifi accesspoint cum hub. the bsnl adsl router is connected to the wifi accesspoint.

to share files, first of all u can't simply turn on wifi and it'll detect. u need to provide correct ip address for each component on ur network includin the wifi AP and the router. all this is widout any kinda wireless protection. then all the devices need to be on the same workgroup......

lolz.. why am i wasting time typing all this? plz read my post in the tutorials sections on how to configure wi-fi ;)

anyways, what i wanna see is how easy it is on the mac (not jus net, i mean file sharing). coz both on windows (2K,XP,Vista.... yes i've setup all of them) and linux (using samba) its not a one minute job. its definitely not as easy as GX said.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Once you have a wireless network set up (which involves going to the AirPort menu in the menubar and clicking on the network of your choice or creating one, like goobimama said), just go to the Sharing preference pane and enable file sharing. The Mac will appear in the Finder sidebar of the other Mac.

Milind is right. "you can't be 'good' or 'bad' at networking on a Mac"

I learned this yesterday. I now know why Apple uses the phrase "it just works" so often. That's because it is so true. It really does just work.

I know it sounds very biased and fanboyish to an outsider but really, I don't know any other way to describe it. If it really only involves a step or two, how can I make it seem convoluted or confusing even if I try to!

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

..and by default File Sharing is enabled. Unlike Vista's search where you have to personally go through adding stuff to the index...

Yep. Sounds very fanboyistic, so I thought I'd provide some screenshots to back those claims:

Sharing Internet
*img409.imageshack.us/img409/2001/internetyw0.jpg

Sharing Files
*img339.imageshack.us/img339/4967/sharingvq3.jpg

Creating a network
*img339.imageshack.us/img339/8940/createnetworksp5.jpg

Logic Pro gets bumped to version 8...
A thoughtfully redesigned Logic Pro 8 makes it easier than ever to translate musical inspiration into professional productions. A range of powerful, easy-to-use features puts sophisticated tools at your fingertips, and complete surround support lets you make incredible, immersive music.

*images.apple.com/logicstudio/logicpro/images/hero20070828.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom