The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

aryayush said:
OK. Let's see. Select a topic, any topic, and make a PowerPoint presentation on it. I'll make a Keynote presentation on the same topic. (You are a graphic designer and I have zero creativity.) Let's see which one is the better slideshow. I challenge you! Choose the topic.

Sorry boy, I admit I am not a PowerPoint guy here. Wanna challenge me in Word 2007 :p

Another way of proving my point is that if you open a Powerpoint presentation in Keynote, it'll play exactly as it does on Windows, with every effect intact. But if you play a Keynote presentation in Powerpoint, after exporting it to the format, a lot of transitions etc. are replaced by boring defaults in Powerpoint because it is not capable of displaying them.

Lolz....I pity your knowledge. The effects, transitions etc of Powerpoint are supported & given in Keynote, while it is not the other way around. Its not that Powerpoint is not capable of displaying them, its just that those plugin of effects are not there in PowerPoint. Add them to PPT 07 & you will see them fine.

Do one thing, Export a keynote presentation as a standalone Presentation & then play on Windows. Will it play? However you can export a Powerpoint presentation & it will play in Mac too

instant alpha, A to B animations, smart builds, etc.)

Already there in Powerpoint 07

Anyway, I m back to Lightroom on Mac. Seems like Lightroom is quite a good alternative to ACDSee even on Windows. Everything u seek is ther already with superb editing features like Photoshop.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

gx_saurav said:
Sorry boy, I admit I am not a PowerPoint guy here. Wanna challenge me in Word 2007 :p
I totally expected this crap.

gx_saurav said:
Lolz....I pity your knowledge. The effects, transitions etc of Powerpoint are supported & given in Keynote, while it is not the other way around. Its not that Powerpoint is not capable of displaying them, its just that those plugin of effects are not there in PowerPoint.
That's the whole point, isn't it? Keynote makes better presentations.

gx_saurav said:
Do one thing, Export a keynote presentation as a standalone Presentation & then play on Windows. Will it play?
Yes, it will. You can export Keynote presentations in a variety of formats, the best one being QuickTime. It becomes a simple 'MOV' file and you can play it on Windows too. Even the hyperlinks, etc. function as they should.

gx_saurav said:
Already there in Powerpoint 07
Like Hell they are. I have Powerpoint '07 installed on Windows XP on my other computer. Those three features are not there. I've no idea how you post blatant lies expecting people to believe whatever you dish out.

Thanks for chickening out like every single time in the past! :lol:

[God, I should start following my own advice a little more seriously!]

goobimama

 Macboy

I seriously failed my IT practicals (B.A. Philosophy stream so its not supposed to be technical). They consisted of half powerpoint and half MS Access. Access I had studied a bit cause I didn't know squat, but Powerpoint I thought I'd scrape through somehow. I've got to tell you, it was the crappiest presentation ever created by man. Horrible transitions and whatnot. And this is an official test.

Then a two months later I've been called upon to create a presentation (outside of college). I'm a bit hesitant, but since my buddies didnt know powerpoint as well, I thought I'd give it a go. Half an hour later I ended up with the same crappy presentation I had created a few months ago.

Then I thought I'd find a presentation software for the mac (I was a mac newbie back then). Little did I know that keynote did just that. Half an hour later I had one of the slickest presentations I had ever seen. This is the honest truth. My buddies were amazed. It was dazzling. And I've much improved at creating these since then...

Keynote is one of those apps that just make the difference. There's no comparison between powerpoint and keynote. And I have yet to try Keynote 08.

Last edited:

yash

I draw every day

my existing version of adium got messed up for some reason(the update i guess) I can't even start adium now, it keeps crashing. I don't know what to do.

..Just when I was about to upgrade.:(

sakumar79

Technomancer

@Aryayush, I had sent you a PM regarding Keynote a few days back and mentioned it in one of the threads... Not yet got your reply for it... Please PM me back...

Arun

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

I know. I've been intending to send it to you for four days now but I'm not quite sure why I haven't done so yet. You'll get it today. :)

@goobimama
Exactly. Keynote is one of those "killer apps" on the Mac. People who depend on presentations switch because of Keynote.
You are just giving the example of a small lab practical here, I've seen the presentation Bill Gates himself gave to a room full of about a thousand people. If you'd seen those slides, you'd think, "But these people wrote this software, didn't they? Is that the best they can do!"

@yash
Works fine here. Remove it through AppZapper or AppCleaner and do a re-install.

Ah, I dug it out. Check this one: Presentation Skills 101. And make sure you read the replies that followed defending those slides. I didn't know someone could ever say anything positive about those slides. :lol:

Here's a choice excerpt too:
How can the most successful technology company in history, run by the richest man in the universe, stand in front of the world with such incredibly lame slides in their presentation? They look like something put together by a high school kid who just discovered clip art and shaded backgrounds.

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"

gx_saurav said:
Lolz....I pity your knowledge. The effects, transitions etc of Powerpoint are supported & given in Keynote, while it is not the other way around. Its not that Powerpoint is not capable of displaying them, its just that those plugin of effects are not there in PowerPoint. Add them to PPT 07 & you will see them fine.
Yeah! Absolutely! Arya you are an idiot! Its not that the pulsar is a better bike than the discover! Just add pulsar's engine to the discover, and then you'l see what we are talking about! :D :rolleyes:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief

gx_saurav said:
Sorry boy, I admit I am not a PowerPoint guy here. Wanna challenge me in Word 2007
Sure! But one condition: Spell checks turned off.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"

^^ Turn off the grammar checks too :p

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief

Naw, let him have that much of a help atleast, not that Word would say anything but 'Consider revising' ...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

LOL! You guys just made my day. :lol:

kalpik said:
Yeah! Absolutely! Arya you are an idiot! Its not that the pulsar is a better bike than the discover! Just add pulsar's engine to the discover, and then you'l see what we are talking about!:d:rolleyes:
Oh, that way. What a fool I am, really! Should've figured this out myself. :p

QwertyManiac said:
Sure! But one condition: Spell checks turned off.
"yeah i do vid speling check turnd of 2. c u jus put the mark twain engine in to word n then it speling corect do vidout spelcheck. jus bcoz u dont kno how word use dus not mean softwear bad..."

shantanu

Technomancer

This is Q N A.. you guys are not on topic for this.. reading your posts makes me think that is fight club or chit-chat.. PLz maintain the thread and forum rules here.

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus

Thread reopened... please try to stick to the topic.

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Thank you, Nimish! :)

(Everyone else thank me. :p)

I have a two little tips about sound.

1. In QuickTime Player, pressing '⇧↑' after the volume is at maximum increases it further. Keep pressing it until it stops increasing (there won't be any visual indication though).

2. If you need it to be louder, go to 'Window >> Show Movie Properties >> Audio Settings' (⌘J) and drag the 'Volume' knob to the extreme right.

A pat on the back would be appreciated if you did not know it already.

Let us (and by 'us', I mean "Mac users") also start a new thing now. We'll post whatever awesome quotes we come across in favour of Apple from time to time. I love to read 'em. :D

Here's a pop quiz. We all know that pressing the ⌥ key and the '⇧⌥' keys in conjugation with the other keys lets us enter symbols on Mac OS X (for example, we can easily type µTorrent or Exposé or Déjà Vu, while Windows users generally stick to uTorrent, Expose and Deja Vu) but do you know how to enter the menu symbols?

OK, this is pure drool-inducing sexiness!

*img411.imageshack.us/img411/463/01lh0.th.jpg
(I think Milind is going to kill me for testing his patience... :p)

Another interesting bit of trivia:

Disk Utility in Leopard can resize and create partitions on the fly without the need to format the disk or even restart your Mac. Awesome!

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

ah! good to see this thread unlocked ... i had some queries which i had sort out myself anyways talking abt desktops here's my back to classics ... how abt this:

*img205.imageshack.us/img205/5654/screenshot01fq7.th.jpg

PS: the leopard dock wud make it look sexier ...

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

See this icon:

*img403.imageshack.us/img403/6135/finder001rh6.jpg

They really should not post these Leopard galleries. Makes the waiting all the more painful.

@iMav
That looks beautiful. Aren't there any inconsistencies in any theme element in the whole OS? I am sure there must be. I don't use these themes because inconsistencies do creep in and I cannot bear that.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

aryayush said:
Disk Utility in Leopard can resize and create partitions on the fly without the need to format the disk or even restart your Mac. Awesome!

What file system's does this works with? We have been able to do it in Windows via 3rd party tools since ages.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

And see this one:

*img161.imageshack.us/img161/6583/finder003li4.jpg

Note the leather. Attention to Detail™.

(I know I am going overboard, but what to do. It was all pent up inside for all these days! :p)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

@arya: inconsistencies as in ... u wont have any troubles as such for me my vista is ntfs which is taken as a network drive so everytime i restart the vista drive gets the icon of the globe other than that if u just apply the theme using shapeshifter and change a icons using candy bar u wont have much trouble ...

@gx vista has it inbuilt the expand tool has worked for a couple of members here (though i havnt tried it yet)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Yuppp...lots of attention to details indeed...

*img260.imageshack.us/img260/8850/screenshotwn8.th.png

Now I won't say who copied Vista in this thread :D. Obviously they are detailed...they are 256X256, Just look at the attention given in the designing of that PCB of the card, or the flowers of the PNG file icon or that handy cam...

Oh wait...those are Windows Vista icons format :p....

Top Bottom