The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

^^^ yup, thats where Apple store widgets from.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

@Tarun
Why didn't you call me?

@Milind
Why don't you have a .Mac id?

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

As soon as I get some 24/7 internet at home, I'll get myself a .mac account. Currently trying it out on "goobimamu"...

Fenêtres Volantes. The most beautiful screensaver out there.

I've been using this screensaver since I found it on TUAW. Just wow.

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.tuaw.com/media/2006/07/3dscreensaver.jpg
This screensaver takes your idle windows and gives them something to do - by making them fly around your display in 3D space. The effect is really slick and driven by Quartz Composer, which also means the unfortunate lack of anti-aliasing is a ball in Apple's court, not the developer's. The screensaver is fairly customizable, with controls for how many windows to use, how fast to move, whether a second display is involved, and more.
*www.objective-cocoa.org/fenetresvolantes/en/download.html

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

I use this one too. What a coincidence!

You mean you will actually buy a .Mac subscription?

goobimama

 Macboy

Why what did you have in mind? Changing an id every two months doesn't quite cut it eh?!

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

When I'd asked you why you did not have a .Mac id (not a subscription), I'd meant the id itself that Apple oh-so-generously allows you to keep for iChatting with your buddies.

Rs. 4,000/yr for 10GB of storage and 100GB bandwidth/month plus all the cool .Mac features. Not too bad, eh? You can also spend an extra three hundred or so and buy a TLD.

It is very expensive for me though. (Specially when I have no idea what I would do with a website!)

yash

I draw every day

and oh aryayush, thanks a lot for suggesting I use transmission

and that was sarcasm in case you didn't get it.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

aryayush said:
Rs. 4,000/yr for 10GB of storage and 100GB bandwidth/month plus all the cool .Mac features. Not too bad, eh? You can also spend an extra three hundred or so and buy a TLD.
Why don't u take a look at the other services.? Rs 4000 is indeed a high ammount of money to pay for this service when you can have them for free.

Photos - Flickr
Files - Windows Live SkyDrive
Website - Windows Live Spaces
IMAP Mail - Yahoo
Groups - MSN Groups

For those who need it. I have uploaded Working NTFS-3G & MacFUSE on my Skydrive. This one works fine, the other versions which came after this will work too but won't auto mount unless u do some system level tweaking & commands.

If you want to try, you can download the latest version of NTFS-3G for Mac & follow the instructions given here

To uninstall NTFS 3G, follow this

Type in terminal

sudo /System/Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/Support/uninstall-macfuse

-core.sh

Manually remove the NTFS-3G files:
- In the Finder navigate to /System/Library/Filesystems/
- Remove the folder name ntfw-3g.fs

- In the Finder, goto the "Go" menu, choose "Go to folder..."
- In the input box type /usr/local/bin/
- Remove the file named ntfs-3g

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

I'm particularly interested in
Syncing addressbook and contacts
Back to my Mac
iDisk
and of course the rest of the features. But if I split the cost among a few others and get a family pack, it wouldn't cost me that much....

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

I am also thinking of buying a .Mac subscription but I have only one problem. It does not allow anyone to comment on your blog entries or your photos and video. That's a big letdown. What's a blog without reader feedback! :(

@Yash
What happened? What is wrong with Transmission?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

1) How do I lock my workspace, like in Vista I do Winkey + L

2) Can I make a big dmg file of my existing Mac installation, so that in case of any problem I can install Mac OS, then go to disk utility & select that DMG file to restore the Mac partition?

Just used iPhoto 08....as usual, Apple's UI over a not so powerful application. Since I use Adobe lightroom for photo management & Preview for viewing them on Mac, I compared them to iPhoto 08

iPhoto 08 brings events, which are nothing buts tagged images saved & shown as thumbnail. To do this in Lightroom, I just selected some pics from gurgaon trip & right click ->Add to Quick Collection-> Gurgaon trip. Same thing.

Nevigation in iPhoto is mac like, so it is better then Lightroom, however it still doesn't give a folder tree view which fortunately Lightroom gives.

*img146.imageshack.us/img146/9708/lightroomaf6.th.jpg

iPhoto is good if you want to save & view your Photos the Steve Jobs way, if not then Lightroom rox.

Last edited:

yash

I draw every day

Oh sure, lightroom rocks. I had been using aperture all this while, but after I saw tutorial and demo for lightroom, I've been regretting. I want lightroom now.

and yeah, transmission couldn't download anything. There was no data transfer, and when I tried to stop the torrent so that I can switch to azureus, it said stopping torrent, and stayed that way or ever. Also, transmission is banned by many private trackers. Its also not an issue of encoding, because I don't have encoding on in azureus.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

azureus rox ... ;) the mac version gives me a consistent 15 kbps

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

No problem with Transmission .8 here. Gives me full speed here to download whatever I want.

Mp4 Converter, your one stop Audio & Video converter

Today I was digging through some sites to find a decent Video/Audio trans coding app like riverpast or dbPoweramp, I found this.

I needed to change my WMA files to m4a so that iTunes can read them (sic, quicktime reads them fine, why can't itunes)....So i just plugged in my Pen driver & synced all songs in WMP to Pen drive. It converted all the Songs to WMA Simple profile used for Portable Music devices & synced to my Pen drive with proper tags & folder layout along with album art.

I rebooted into Mac & plugged my Pen Drive, copied all my sogns & converted them to m4a using MP4 convertar...then imported to iTunes. I do miss Winamp here :(

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

Doesn't iTunes automatically convert WMA tracks to AAC? Anyway, I never encode with WMA. I always use AAC, find it much better for audio quality.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

goobimama said:
Doesn't iTunes automatically convert WMA tracks to AAC? Anyway, I never encode with WMA. I always use AAC, find it much better for audio quality.

For some reason iTunes refuced to encode WMA 10 Pro encoded WMA to mp4 despite of the fact the with Flip4Mac Quicktime plays it fine. This is why I say Apple has a pathetic software backend.

This trick however worked fine. I was able to convert all my songs from WMA to MP4. I m not gonna tag them as that will take a lot of time.

Xtorrent & Transmission both do suck. There is no option in any of them to automatically shut down the Computer when downloading is finished. Let me know if this option is there, maybe I just missed it :)

Waiting for uTorrent for Mac

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

Ooh but the interface of Xtorrent sure is amazing. Even uTorrent for Mac looks amazing.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

goobimama said:
Ooh but the interface of Xtorrent sure is amazing. Even uTorrent for Mac looks amazing.

Interface ka achchar dalun if it can't work the way I want it to work & doesn't support basic features like port forwarding & auto shutdown etc.....

Anyway I don't need a torrent client on Mac as I just have 5 GB left on the Mac HD. While 72 GB is free on Files partition (NTFS), so I download in Windows.

Ah the sheer joy of doing things the way I want.:D

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

yash said:
transmission couldn't download anything. There was no data transfer, and when I tried to stop the torrent so that I can switch to azureus, it said stopping torrent, and stayed that way or ever. Also, transmission is banned by many private trackers. Its also not an issue of encoding, because I don't have encoding on in azureus.
Go to the 'Network' tab in the preferences and see if the port is open.

goobimama said:
Doesn't iTunes automatically convert WMA tracks to AAC?
No, it doesn't. This functionality is only available in the Windows version of iTunes. QuickTime Pro does convert WMA files to other formats after installing the free windows media codec from Microsoft.

I just noticed a little flaw in Safari 3 beta. When you drag a tab out of the tab bar, you cannot invoke Exposé while the tab is being dragged. Since you can invoke Exposé virtually everywhere in the OS at any time, it is slightly disappointing that Safari blocks it for some reason.

yash

I draw every day

iMav said:
azureus rox ... ;) the mac version gives me a consistent 15 kbps

hah! LOL. (I get around 400 or 500 kBps constant on good torrents.)

And, I don't need to forward any ports as I have set my computer to be a dematerialized zone.

Top Bottom