The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

"dematerialised"? What does that mean?

One more thing that bugs me is that when you click on the menu bar icon for iChat and make yourself available, iChat doesn't get launched, like it should. It changes your status to online in the menu bar but nothing actually happens. :mad:

WOW! Anand is viewing this thread. :eek:

yash

I draw every day

wait, if ichat isn't launched, how are u able to access the menu of ichat? I have a feeling what u're trying to say is that the contacts window doesn't show. am I on the same page so far?

dematerialized means its the one computer on the lan that's exposed to the internet. the hardware firewall(router) is not blocking my computer. ever heard of DMZ in the router setting ?

goobimama

 Macboy

Yeah, I'm also confused with your iChatty problem. I think there may be one of those menu bar buttons for iChat, like the airport or volume control button...is it?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"

aryayush said:
WOW! Anand is viewing this thread. :eek:

Heh.. I wonder who brought him here to show him something!.. ;):D

yash

I draw every day

there is no 'menu bar button for ichat like the airport or the volume control button' in OS X tiger by default.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Yes, there isn't one by default but you can enable it in the preferences for iChat:

*img483.imageshack.us/img483/2281/picture2ed6.png

And once you do, it remains in the menu bar even if you quit iChat, and it should too. The only quirk is that while you can click on it and set your status to Available even while iChat is not launched (and the menu bar even changes colour to show that your status is available), it does not actually do anything, which is quite frustrating.

I did notice a very good thing about Safari though (well, not exactly "noticed", because I've known this for quite some time). When you are not connected to the Internet and try to open a web page, it tells you that you are not connected to the Internet, unlike other browsers (including those on other platforms) that show you a lengthy page full of gibberish. And when you connect to the Internet, Safari automatically starts reloading the page. Cool! :D

kalpik said:
Heh.. I wonder who brought him here to show him something!.. ;):D
You invited him here!? You? I find that hard to believe. :D

yash said:
ever heard of DMZ in the router setting ?
Only from you the other day. Never heard of it elsewhere.

And I'm not sure we have any such thing as router settings for this DataOne connection. Correct me if I am wrong, please!

All about Steve Jobs.

A very good website about Steve Jobs. Be sure to check out the "call to all iPhone owners". :lol:

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

After using iPhoto 08 extensively for some hrs....here is my verdict

1) Still no folder tree navigation view.

2) I imported my pictures in iPhoto, now I keep my pics in folders such as "Jan 23" "Diwali 06" etc...iPhoto imported & made automatic events out of it :). But this resulted in 230 events which I later had to merge.

3) Where is the search button for a particular Pic? I tag my pics with some tag like bike or car or burger, in ACDsee just searching for burger shows me all the pics which have burger written in the tag or file name. How Do I do this in iPhoto?

4) iPhoto Library = 230 MB for me.

I am back to Lightroom, iPhoto is learning few things from ACDSee it seems, but still not close enough for tagging support. Lightroom on the other hand is even easier, just go to library section & you get tag view, quicklook, folder tree navigation...all of them

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Adium 1.1 has now been released. Grab it while it is still hot.

spironox

Booting Nicotine!!

Asfaq said:
Hey,

We are conducting a small poll on the forums which will be printed in the september issue of Digit and I was hoping you could answer it. The question is:

Which operating system has the best GUI according to you and why?

1. Ubuntu

2. Windows Vista

3. Windows XP

4. Mac OS X
and then there is a mail id!!! is that spammer or is there any real poll going on ???

Asfaq said:
Please E-mail your reply to some id at thinkdigit.com by today along with a high resolution photograph of yourself please. Also dont forget to mention your location, i.e. Name of city

i am perplexed wth sendin the pic ...any suggestions pals i got the above as a msg in msg box

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

It's real. Asfaq is an employee of Jasubhai Digital Media and they do these polls occasionally. Where did you see this and which email address was it?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

The message was PMed. Its is real. And he is a Mod.

goobimama

 Macboy

Post dedicated to iMav.
*www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/macpilot.html
Enable the “cut” option in the Finder, disable menu items for security, disable icon caches, set history limits, erase recently used files, prevent your dock from being modified, turn off all system animations, increase the speed at which windows resize, change which format screenshots are taken in, set a default name and location for screenshots, disable a secondary processor, disable the startup chime, and even change the log-in window picture!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

:D thanx goobi but then again u still need another software to do it :D .... add to that the fact its a shareware ...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

File cutter is good enough for ther gr8 Cut option

I didn't get any PM from Asfaq

goobimama

 Macboy

Yeah. No PM for me too. Feeling a little left out....

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Another silly flaw found in OS X. The default software update of Mac OS X found in the Apple menu has no pause or resume functionality. If I start downloading automatic updates then if I stop it, next time when I start it, it starts from scratch...while on Vista, I can pause & it will resume from where it stopped even if I start after 4 days.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

I second that. Absolutely.

Sad, but true. :(

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"

aryayush said:
You invited him here!? You? I find that hard to believe. :D
Why? What's wrong with me inviting him? :p

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Just tried Keynote. Although I don't mind the performance as it was running quite slow here (not a a real Mac).

There is nothing in keynote that Powerpoint 2007 already doesn't provides. You start by selecting a theme for the background on top of which u can apply text, shapes, images etc. Well...u do the same thing in PowerPoint since Powerpoint XP.

You can add arrows etc from the toolbar icons, a drop down menu opens & u select shapes etc. U do the same in Powerpoint 07 with the ribbon UI.

The reason arya calls Keynote simple & easy is that it hardly has as many features as PowerPoint 07, less feature obviously will take less space to show on screen. This although is no longer relevant with PowerPoint 07's ribbon UI.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

OK. Let's see. Select a topic, any topic, and make a PowerPoint presentation on it. I'll make a Keynote presentation on the same topic. (You are a graphic designer and I have zero creativity.) Let's see which one is the better slideshow. I challenge you! Choose the topic.

(There are two Bajaj bikes, Discover and Pulsar DTS-Fi. If you have a race between the two, Pulsar will always win. Saying "pulsar not offr anythnig new" does not change the fact that it simply has a better engine and is always going to outrun a Discover. Similarly, when comparing two presentation applications, what matters is which one has better themes, animations, transitions and effects. Another way of proving my point is that if you open a Powerpoint presentation in Keynote, it'll play exactly as it does on Windows, with every effect intact. But if you play a Keynote presentation in Powerpoint, after exporting it to the format, a lot of transitions etc. are replaced by boring defaults in Powerpoint because it is not capable of displaying them. Keynote also offers new features but you are blind to them - instant alpha, A to B animations, smart builds, etc.)

Anyway, just let me know the topic.

kalpik said:
Why? What's wrong with me inviting him? :p
You actually did! Why?

Top Bottom