The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
No, he was talking about Transmission. iMav and goobimama are right. It’s because of the UI, the integration with the system, it’s nativeness and the elegance and simplicity.

The UI is not just what it looks like. A cool UI is one that works like it should, only has the essential options, does not have a cluttered interface and is easy to grasp. You just drag the download link from Safari into Transmission’s window or icon in the Dock and the window expands to accommodate the new addition and the download starts. It just works.

Oh, Deluge (or any other torrent client in the world) has nothing on Transmission. I can’t tell you how much I missed Transmission in the past month when I was forced to use µTorrent on Windows XP. (Well, I missed a lot of things in the past month but let’s not get into that. ;))

Well, I have BOTH deluge AND transmission installed on my system, and the main thing I noticed about transmission is that its extremely light weight and fast compared to deluge. Deluge is written in Python and is a bit resource intensive. But its got these cool plugins I can't simply live without, sheduler for example. I think Transmission is EXTREMELY similar to KTorrent. Both are too minimalistic, and each features tight intergration into its respective environment. Transmission intergrates well into Gnome and Macintosh, while KTorrent intergrates well (very well infact) into KDE.

Anyway, since transmission is so light and since my system is badly in need of light apps, I guess I might as well take help from guys here who are experts with transmission:
>>>
How do I Enable a sheduled download ? I want to do something like rightclick, and shedule download from 2:10AM to 7:50AM and go to sleep. I expect it to start download at 2:10AM and then stop it at 7:50AM. Deluge has a plugin for this, and so does (apparently) uTorrent (a software which I never liked for I-don't-know-what reason).

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
i've a problem with aiff format in mac.i can't seem to use it anywhere.tried quick time and pro tools academic.
The same program plays the file on pc :|
i've even asked pro tools ppl to give a solution,but plz if someone knows.its kinda urgent

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Well, I have BOTH deluge AND transmission installed on my system, and the main thing I noticed about transmission is that its extremely light weight and fast compared to deluge. Deluge is written in Python and is a bit resource intensive. But its got these cool plugins I can't simply live without, sheduler for example. I think Transmission is EXTREMELY similar to KTorrent. Both are too minimalistic, and each features tight intergration into its respective environment. Transmission intergrates well into Gnome and Macintosh, while KTorrent intergrates well (very well infact) into KDE.

Anyway, since transmission is so light and since my system is badly in need of light apps, I guess I might as well take help from guys here who are experts with transmission:
>>>
How do I Enable a sheduled download ? I want to do something like rightclick, and shedule download from 2:10AM to 7:50AM and go to sleep. I expect it to start download at 2:10AM and then stop it at 7:50AM. Deluge has a plugin for this, and so does (apparently) uTorrent (a software which I never liked for I-don't-know-what reason).
One way to do it is to leave Transmission on when you go to sleep, schedule your system to wake up and sleep at 02:05 a.m. and 07:55 a.m. respectively and put it to sleep. Now, if it works as reliably as Mac OS X does, there should be no issues at all. :)

i've a problem with aiff format in mac.i can't seem to use it anywhere.tried quick time and pro tools academic.
i've even asked pro tools ppl to give a solution,but plz if someone knows.its kinda urgent
Does it play in the Finder, iTunes, Quick Look or VLC? Were you able to use it before?

------------------------

How many people, apart from Sunny, have upgraded their iPhones to v2.0.1 using PwnageTool v2.0.1? I’m still waiting on the release of PwnageTool v2.0.2 along with Installer 4 and the new version of Cydia before going in. v2.0.1 doesn’t seem to be all that important and I’d rather be safe than sorry (in the sense that I don’t want to lose any of my settings and stuff—not that I’m afraid of it getting bricked or anything).

goobimama

 Macboy
@Metaaaaaaaaal
*img.skitch.com/20080808-gcngnhg3ecchxutfasy4gar9j4.preview.jpg

AIFF plays perfectly in quicktime. Could you upload that file (if its not too large) so we could test it out?

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I don’t know why you had a problem with it but once “Automatically map port” is enabled, Transmission pretty much takes care of it itself. Maybe you use some router that is not compatible or something (yeah, I suck at this networking nonsense).

I downgraded my iPhone to 2.0 due to lack of cydia in 2.0.1.BTW guys,is there anyway I can get free Apps store apps without a credit card(iTunes account)?Currently I am using a giftcard US iTunes account which will expire soon.
Just got tonnes of apps for iPhone:D
Apple has done very little to protect the iPhone cam glass.It's full of scratches here:(

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
I don’t know why you had a problem with it but once “Automatically map port” is enabled, Transmission pretty much takes care of it itself. Maybe you use some router that is not compatible or something (yeah, I suck at this networking nonsense).

May be now you are using TC but remember we use the same router... the one and only Airlink 101 Super G Broadband Wireless router ??

Isn't there anything like scheduled task(windows) or something in Linux?
Yeah there is. In linux. :D But not in Transmission :(
See, I can get this thing done effortlessly in FlashGet and Deluge. But not on the much more lightweight transmission.
One way to do it is to leave Transmission on when you go to sleep, schedule your system to wake up and sleep at 02:05 a.m. and 07:55 a.m. respectively and put it to sleep. Now, if it works as reliably as Mac OS X does, there should be no issues at all. :)
Thats dangerous. My grandpa thinks in such situations that I had turned off my desktop and forgotton to turn the switch off. You know what can follow.
@Metaaaaaaaaal
*img.skitch.com/20080808-gcngnhg3ecchxutfasy4gar9j4.preview.jpg

AIFF plays perfectly in quicktime. Could you upload that file (if its not too large) so we could test it out?
Thanks. Will try out.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I downgraded my iPhone to 2.0 due to lack of cydia in 2.0.1.BTW guys,is there anyway I can get free Apps store apps without a credit card(iTunes account)?Currently I am using a giftcard US iTunes account which will expire soon.
But the account won’t and you’ll still be able to use it for the free content. :)

Apple has done very little to protect the iPhone cam glass.It's full of scratches here:(
I couldn’t care less about the camera. iPhone 3G has a slightly recessed lens design though to protect it from scratches.

May be now you are using TC but remember we use the same router... the one and only Airlink 101 Super G Broadband Wireless router ??
I’ve used a combination of myriad routers and modems in both Kolkata and Siliguri and have never had any problems so far.

Yeah there is. In linux. :D But not in Transmission :(
So, why do you care? Transmission does not have the option because the developers probably assumed you would use the scheduler built into the system instead.

See, I can get this thing done effortlessly in FlashGet and Deluge. But not on the much more lightweight transmission.
Yeah, that’s what being lightweight and easy-to-use is all about—intelligent compromises. Case in point: the MacBook Air.

Thats dangerous. My grandpa thinks in such situations that I had turned off my desktop and forgotton to turn the switch off. You know what can follow.
Well, I’m lucky then, I guess. No one ever touches my notebook or any of the various switches all over the place near my setup. They’re all on 24/7 anyway.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Do remember that your router has to be restarted after 2 a.m. and before 8 a.m. or there will be some megabytes accounted for.

As for the transmission port, mine too has had no problems. Maybe your earlier transmission didn't have the Automatically forward port thing enabled.

As for opening ports, your router configuration page is the main place where you should open/close ports.

-------------
And enough talk of Pwnage, Cydia and the rest of it. We don't want this thread to get locked now do we? Next one to mention anything of the sort will get miserabled.

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Really? It’s not illegal. It’s a software that modifies existing software, that you expressly and legally bought, for your personal use. It’s like using ShapeShifter to change the theme of Mac OS X.

Alright then. I still have 2 hours to wake, and I doubt I would be needing Transmission before tomorrow since I am already doing some heavy duty stuff with Deluge.

@Goobimama: Lets talk at the Insomniac thread :D

goobimama

 Macboy
Really? It’s not illegal. It’s a software that modifies existing software, that you expressly and legally bought, for your personal use. It’s like using ShapeShifter to change the theme of Mac OS X.
Yeah well, we don't allow talks of hacint0sh either. Clear it up with the admins/other mods and I don't have any problems allowing it here. I just don't want this thread to get locked.

Those adventurous enough can try this. Make an official iPhone hacking thread, and post like crazy in there. See if you get banned within the week. If not, then continue that discussion here ;) :D 8)

Last edited:
Top Bottom