The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

gx theres no point talking objectively to arya ....

bhains k aagey been bajane ka koi fayda nahi ;)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

iMav said:
bhains k aagey been bajane ka koi fayda nahi ;)

He & bhains....as far as I know he confessed to gooby that is he no body builder :d

spironox

Booting Nicotine!!

ok buddies time for sleep its saturdaynight and i am too twinchy about opening a new imac now ...hmm l

goobimama

 Macboy

The iPod has great software. You see, geeks look for all these features and customizations. But most people want to listen to music. Easy setting up the iPod with iTunes (again, software) has been one of the USPs of the iPod. Just plug in, and sync. There's also the easy buying of legal music from the net.

Granted there must be many who are attracted to the beauty of the iPod,

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

^^ well goobi actually no ... thats been a rather downside of the ipod ... in the west yes its been a USP coz there ppl buy songs thru the net where as hee people already have the songs so as a result we end up first transferring them to itunes and then copy them to the ipod .... and almost every1 who is not so technically inclind has always asked me is there an option of directly copy-pasting the songs thru explorer ;) and add to that the fact that songs cant be copied to another machine from the ipod ;)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

^^ I think there is a feature in the latest iTunes for transfering music to another PC. I had read it at Apple.com

Here is the link

Buy into sync

So, you’re driving and you hear a brilliant song on the radio. You get home, log on to iTunes, and buy the song for 99¢. Then you sync it to your iPod. But what if you want to hear that song at work? Now you can, with reverse sync. Connect your iPod to any authorized computer — iTunes lets you authorize up to five — and you can sync everything you purchased from the iTunes Store back to it.

Music and media not purchased from the iTunes store only syncs one way, from your computer to your iPod. To transfer non-purchased music from computer-to-computer read this tutorial.

The tutorial says nothing .... I guess I have to use my Own Tutorial :p

Damm...:mad:

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

spironox said:
ok buddies time for sleep its saturdaynight and i am too twinchy about opening a new imac now ...hmm l
You are buying/have bought an iMac?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

A trick with the Dictionary widget involves what you can do once you have a definition visible in the widget. Type rain for instance, and you’ll see that rain is “moisture condensed from the atmosphere that falls visibly in separate drops.” And a very clear definition it is! But see that half-circle with the “R” on it sticking out on the left edge of the widget? Click that, and you’ll see a list of other known words and phrases that start with “rain.” Click any of those words to jump to their definition; click the “R” again (before clicking another word), and you’ll switch back to the standard definition of “rain.”

Toggle the widget from Dictionary mode to Thesaurus mode, and the same trick works—here it will show you a list of other words in the thesaurus that are similar to the chosen word. Toggle the “R” again, and you’re back to the thesaurus entries for “rain.”

Courtesy Macworld

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Dude, I worship you. Thank you so much for this one! I once even clicked that letter and that list appeared but it hadn't occurred to me that it was only showing the words beginning with the word I'd looked up. Awesome trick, this one. Thanks! :)

Here's a lovely little widget I found just now. I am sure goobi will really like this one:

*img443.imageshack.us/img443/8189/piratesofsiliconvalleywf2.png​

Just click on it. Enter the name of any movie and it shows the tomatometer for it. If the movie is crap, forget it. If the meter is high, click on the name and it will take you to the Rotten Tomatoes page for that movie. Simple widget but very useful for a frequent downloader. It even offers you a very accurate list of suggestions if you enter a name wrong or incomplete. Just give it a shot. :D

Since we are on the topic, I also encourage everyone else here to post the widgets they have installed in their Dashboard and also post interesting widgets they come across in future.

Another little thing. Hop onto *www.apple.com/uk/ads/ and check out the 'Art Lanuguage' commercial. It hardly makes any sense but it is very funny. :lol:

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

The dictionary feature is the one feature that amazes me. Although I knew that trick, it still is a nice one.

I'm not too high on widgets. Only using the occasional dictionary, calculator and iTunes album art finder among some others. Will try that tomato thing though. Btw, did Apple release their movie widget which they announced at WWDC?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

WTF! Are you serious? Ratatouille is a crap movie? Ratatouille!! It's scored a glorious review from every single reviewer on the planet.

goobimama said:
Btw, did Apple release their movie widget which they announced at WWDC?
Exclusive to Leopard. What will you do with it anyway? It only lists the show times, etc. for the U.S. :(

(Check out the updated image of the Rotten Tomatoes widget! ;))

yash

I draw every day

oh man, ratatouille was amazing.
back on topic, the one really annoying bug in release 9a499 is that whenever there is a pop up prompt in an application, the window will go to the background. I have to invoke expose-application windows to select the window again.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Where'd you get that one from? Don't mention it here if it is illegal.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

I just tried Pages 08. Have to say...it is "very simple to use & looks good"...but also it hardly has any features. If you want to work according to some of the predefined templates then Pages is good enough, if you want a word processing engine then...No, Pages sux for that. I tried comparing it & even Office 2000 provides more features then Pages.:D

El Jobos is right, Pages is made for those who don't want to work, they just want to work according to what Jobs told him. Word Macro's do not work in Pages 08

goobimama said:
You see, geeks look for all these features and customizations.
You are talking like WMP is very hard to work With :D

But most people want to listen to music.
WMP has been doing that since v8

Easy setting up the iPod with iTunes
WMP has been doing that since v8 with all other media players cos iPod is locked iTunes. Although there is an iPod plugin after which WMP 11 will work with iPod.

Just plug in, and sync. There's also the easy buying of legal music from the net.
\

WMP has been doing that since v8

So, what does iTunes provide which makes it better then WMP11? It doesn't even play all the video formats that WMP can play.

This just in..iMovie 6 HD is now free

iMovie 08 is a complete re-write of the application, and it is in many ways inferior to the previous iMovie 6 HD. Apple has come to a conclusion. If you purchse iLife 08 now, you can download a free copy of iMovie 6 HD. Both iMovie 6 HD, and iMovie 08, can live happily on the same machine, becauase iMovie 08 moves your iMovie HD to a seperate folder of its own, thus allowing you to run the applications in parallel if need be.

This is done, becuase; iMovie 08 has

- No plugin support
- No themes
- Multiple audio track support is gone
- No timeline view

iMovie 6 HD Download page at Apple

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

If someone here uploads a lot of images to ImageShack or Flickr, like I do, grab these downloads:

*reg.imageshack.us/img/iShack.1.1.png
Drag any image onto this handy little widget and it uploads it. Not only that, the neatest feature is that it even copies the BB code for it. So, you just drag an image onto it, wait for it to upload, exit the Dashboard and press '⌘ V'. Awesome stuff!

Then there is FlickrExport for iPhoto, a little plug-in that allows you to upload images to your Flickr account straight from the convenience of iPhoto:

*images.apple.com/downloads/macosx/networking_security/images/flickrexportforiphoto_20070619104703.jpg

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Flickr Uploader for Yahoo Widget engine :)

goobimama

 Macboy

^^ What has that got to do with Apple?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

yahoo widget engine works with mac also so if there are ppl who use that can use it ... ;) gx uses yahoo widgets even on windows :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

It does? WOW! Funny how we never need to look for alternatives to Apple's software. Seriously, I've never even read it mentioned anywhere, even though I follow so many Mac related websites and blogs.

Top Bottom