The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

^^ Thanks for clarifying regarding the Router.

chirangk??? :p

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

In other news, I ordered AppleCare Protection Plan, cost me Rs. 15,080 and I had no problems in registering. My warranty coverage has now been extended to three (i.e. two more) years of full phone support and repairs. :D

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

^ Say if your drop your MacBook pro .. will apple give you a new one ?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

aryayush said:
You are mostly correct. But what you don't get, and will most probably never get, is that there must be a reason why almost every person who opts to go the Mac way sticks to it.

Once you go Mac,..you have no money left to go back to Windows Legally :D

People buy Macs due to the hardware but stick to it because of the software. Apple considers itself a software company that happens to make really well designed hardware to go along with it.

Apple has some of the most copied & pathetic software back end in the industry. There kernel is not there own. There print server is not there own, there HTML Engine is not there own...they steal from OSS projects & give hardly anything back, iTunes is not there own, coverflow is not there own. The last thing u should call Apple is a software company cos Jobs himself said in "All things Digital" that Apple is a hardware company while Microsoft is a software company.

If I used Windows, even I would buy a notebook from whichever company offered most bang for the buck. The reason is that there is nothing differentiating a notebook from HP and another from Lenovo apart from the logo and a few accessories. Even the prices are the same and they have a myriad number of choices for any given price (with a completely insane system of having to remember model numbers, if I might add). No one company is better than the other.

You really has no idea how the PC industry is...& what choices are. Apple hardly gives any options in there Computer. Can you chose a nVidia graphics card in iMac? No...can u upgrade it in iMac? No...Apple can simply use AMD Axiom or nVidia MXM interface for iMac but no...they won't. If you want HDCP & HDMI support in iMac buy a new one.

Just look at manan & Gaurav, both bought different notebooks catered for there own use. Even I would prefer Dell 1520 cos I can buy it in Pink (ah!....every guy has a soft side too :D) Can you do this in Macbook? There is no individuality...& perhaps Apple users don't know what individuality is. This can be proved by your statement "Apple makes choices for us & we follow it"....where the hell is customisability?

Apple is different. Mac OS X makes it different - not the backlit keyboard or the MagSafe adapter. I chose to be tied to Apple on my own free will, knowing that there was a way out if I did not like it, but I am glad I did and have never regretted it for a second.

In short you are a Macboy & Apple Salesman....we all know that. You have no idea how Apple hardware works or even how computer hardware works....hey arya, do u know what Webcam Engine do Skype & Yahoo Messenger for Mac use? Or What Audio Engine Mac OS X uses :D

In fact, the blatantly obvious jealousy in some people on this forum gives me even more reason to be satisfied with my purchase.

Yeah.....me infact m so jealous.....kya bolu...I m running OS X fine here on 4 years old computer....damn, I sooooooo wanted to pay Rs 1.5lakh for a MBP...but alas! I had some brain & thinking power.

And I am also happy that no one who has bought a Mac on my suggestion has regretted it yet. And it's not that I recommend it to everyone either. My uncle wanted a PC within Rs. 35,000 and he wanted it to be reasonably powerful and be able to play games. Windows was not necessary and the whole decision was left to me. I chose a PC.

It even runs Windows and Linux applications.

Nope..only some selected Windows Applications

In other news, I ordered AppleCare Protection Plan, cost me Rs. 15,080 and I had no problems in registering. My warranty coverage has now been extended to three (i.e. two more) years of full phone support and repairs

Lolz...Applecare service is twice that of Dell. 3 Years complete care Costs 8k over default plan

goobimama

 Macboy

@chArangk: I don't think they'll give him a new Macbook Pro if he drops it. In my experience with applecare (8k), my DVD writer wasn't writing to Sony DVDs in particular so I got that replaced. My iBook had developed a defect in the "4" key, so the keyboard was replaced. The hard drive of the iBook crashed, due to dropping it on the floor (no MagSafe for the iBook), so that was replaced.

Takes not more than 3 days for a replacement to arrive.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

aryayush said:
The reason is that there is nothing differentiating a notebook from HP and another from Lenovo apart from the logo and a few accessories.
arya another seriously dumb statement ... seriously man u just keep talking sh!t

@goobi smal request arya wont listen to us but will listen to u .... save him from the embarrasment he is causing himself with stupid statements

spironox

Booting Nicotine!!

errr .am i in the wrong thread or is this suppose to happen

people why do you fight around the mac issue ! are yaar some body has one and is possessive about it then let it be na .. i have pc installed with windows and yeah i have mac too

lets for the good old god sake leave the topic, if u browse the whole thread there are many issues other than mac vs windows needing attention ..But NO ,many are into the big fight .. are yaar who is going to benfit with your fight is any body benefiting ? those who are making money are making and those who cant they are trying what else ...

its like zoombie culture one ignites the topics rest just go on baffling around the same ...are come on dont just fight over issue over mac or windows let solve problems rather ..

i am fed up with this yaar

please people don't put up i am superior and you are inferior types of msg on forum yaar let solve problems rather than fighting over again and again ..

peace

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

all those requesting help are getting help from this thread,

all those needing news and info are getting news and info from this thread,

all those who need to discuss the good and bad about mac are discussing the good and bad about the mac in this thread

in all this makes the The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs. ...;)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

charangk said:
^ Say if your drop your MacBook pro .. will apple give you a new one ?
No, of course they won't. Physical damage and the battery is not covered; everything else is.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

as long as there is no visible damage of dropping it they will, same is the case with the ipod ... a friend of mine dropped it but there wasnt any visible damage to the exterior as it dropped on the metal side but the inside of the ipod was screwed totally he got a replacement ;)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

spironox said:
errr .am i in the wrong thread or is this suppose to happen

people why do you fight around the mac issue ! are yaar some body has one and is possessive about it then let it be na .. i have pc installed with windows and yeah i have mac too

lets for the good old god sake leave the topic, if u browse the whole thread there are many issues other than mac vs windows needing attention ..But NO ,many are into the big fight .. are yaar who is going to benfit with your fight is any body benefiting ? those who are making money are making and those who cant they are trying what else ...

its like zoombie culture one ignites the topics rest just go on baffling around the same ...are come on dont just fight over issue over mac or windows let solve problems rather ..

i am fed up with this yaar

please people don't put up i am superior and you are inferior types of msg on forum yaar let solve problems rather than fighting over again and again ..

peace
This was a thread for Mac users to discuss whatever positive there is about the Mac platform, help and get help with the problems, etc. I made this very clear in the first post and in many subsequent posts after that. I politely and even harshly asked some people to get out of the thread. I've done everything in my power to avoid this but there is just no way to stop this. I'm sorry, mate! Just ignore them and discuss whatever you want to with us - goobi and me. :)

gx_saurav said:
The last thing u should call Apple is a software company cos Jobs himself said in "All things Digital" that Apple is a hardware company while Microsoft is a software company.
I've sworn to myself not to be offensive to anyone on this forum so I'm just holding my tongue but let me just tell you this, you can never match me when it comes to knowing about Apple and Steve Jobs. I know a lot of people do know about them better than me, but not you. You're not even close. I am a certified fanboy, cult member, lover - whatever you wish to label it - of Apple and I believe that at any given time, I am far more up to date than you.

These are Jobs' exact words from the All things D conference:
An iPod’s really just software. It’s software in the iPod itself, it’s software on the PC or the Mac, and it’s software in the cloud for the store. And it’s in a beautiful box, but it’s software. If you look at what a Mac is, it’s OS X, right? It’s in a beautiful box, but it’s OS X. And if you look at what an iPhone will hopefully be, it’s software.
And so the big secret about Apple, of course–not-so-big secret maybe–is that Apple views itself as a software company.
Exactly what I've been saying for months.

Just try to shut up every once in a while and these embarrassing moments will become very rare. And now, to both of you, please just leave this thread as you are not invited. (Of course, I know it is a public forum and you have full right to stay on and post no matter what anyone says, so I don't expect you to listen to me.)

iMav said:
as long as there is no visible damage of dropping it they will, same is the case with the ipod ... a friend of mine dropped it but there wasnt any visible damage to the exterior as it dropped on the metal side but the inside of the ipod was screwed totally he got a replacement ;)
Yes, but they will not replace a MacBook Pro after its been in use for more than a year. They'll just fix it.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

george bush said iraq has wmds matlab iraq has wmds jesus ne bola software hai toh software .... no matter even if the whole world buys the ipod coz its classier 'looking' than the others and let me tell u u fanboy other portable players have more features than the ipod ... ipod is not selling coz of the software ... im a freakin owner of 1 so shut up

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

mac is selling coz of the software ... im a freakin owner of 1 so shut up

@goobi, spironox, yash, etc.
Visit these two links:
*www.macinstruct.com/macify/
*www.macinstruct.com/freeforall

You'll find some absolutely awesome articles there. :D

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

aryayush said:
you can never match me when it comes to knowing about Apple and Steve Jobs. I know a lot of people do know about them better than me, but not you. You're not even close. I am a certified fanboy, cult member, lover - whatever you wish to label it - of Apple and I believe that at any given time, I am far more up to date than you.

Lolz....angoor khatte hain, hey....just tell me what I ask u in a thread. What component does the webcams use :D

goobimama

 Macboy

Aayush. I wanted to install iWork 08, but its saying I need to update to 10.4.10 instead of my .9. I'm a bit skeptical about updating it to the worst update in apple history. Any workaround for that or something? Or has all the bugs been squashed?

Either that or I'm waiting till Leopard...

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..

aryayush said:
Anyway, this discussion is way off the topic. I won't ever agree with you and you won't either. So there is no point having a verbal war over it. Let sleeping dogs lie... (I know this doesn't really suit this usage but "let us just agree to disagree" has become far too cliché. )

You are right , because if it was possible it wud have happened in last one year.

I just dont like when people worship a corporate body, this makes customers easy targets and the companies get undeserved benifit and opportunity to exploit the faithful userbase further. Just dont be faithful to some company, it will just give them opportunity to exploit you . User should have the power to to control the prices and get value for money, if the company knows that you are not going anywhere but buy their products then very basic business tactics point to manipulation of customers.

Here is very good example , what happened to Trent Ranzor (nine inch nails )
Trent Ranzor said:
On the other hand, you got record labels that are doing everything they can to piss people off and rip them off. I created a little issue down here because the first thing I did when I got to Sydney is I walk into HMV, the week the record’s out, and I see it on the rack with a bunch of other releases. And every release I see: $21.99, $22.99, $24.99. And ours doesn’t have a sticker on it. I look close and ‘Oh, it’s $34.99′. So I walk over to see our live DVD Beside You in Time, and I see that it’s also priced six, seven, eight dollars more than every other disc on there. And I can’t figure out why that would be.

Reznor had the chance to speak to a few executives with his label about why his music cost so much. After getting past the fact that packaging didn’t justify a $10.00 surcharge, they admitted to him that…

Basically it’s because we know you’ve got a core audience that’s gonna buy whatever we put out, so we can charge more for that. It’s the pop stuff we have to discount to get people to buy it. True fans will pay whatever.

This is why i hate fanboism , ppl like me have to pay more for the stuff because of them. :mad:

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Well, you do have a point there but it is hardly my, or other Mac users' fault that there is simply no other company that gives you a user experience as meticulously thought out as Apple's. You'll see that although Apple has a much larger user base for the iPod, there is hardly any cult feeling there because even though the iPod also has brilliant software, it is not as far ahead of the competiton as Mac OS X is. In a way, Apple has a monopoly. Over a fraction of the market, yes - but still, a monopoly. I don't think there is anything that can be done about it. The prospect of leaving Mac OS X is... well, unthinkable.

goobimama said:
Aayush. I wanted to install iWork 08, but its saying I need to update to 10.4.10 instead of my .9. I'm a bit skeptical about updating it to the worst update in apple history. Any workaround for that or something? Or has all the bugs been squashed?

Either that or I'm waiting till Leopard...
I have it installed and I haven't seen any bugs so far and I'd installed it on the day it came out. What you see on the Internet are the people who have complaints. It is unfortunate that the update did not go smoothly for them, but there are also millions of users who installed the update and it did not cause any problems whatsoever. I would recommend you to make a backup copy using SuperDuper!, update your OS and then install iWork '08. Dude, you're going to love Pages and Keynote. :D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

aryayush said:
Well, you do have a point there but it is hardly my, or other Mac users' fault that there is simply no other company that gives you a user experience as meticulously thought out as Apple's. You'll see that although Apple has a much larger user base for the iPod, there is hardly any cult feeling there because even though the iPod also has brilliant software, it is not as far ahead of the competiton as Mac OS X is.
arya the software on the ipod isnt sa good as others out there ... the overall finish of the product is good and sound coming out of it is good and it has a half eaten apple at its back ... if it werent for the zune as tarey said people were paying 16000 for it now its 12000 y not coz ipod hardware was cheaper or apple felt generous but because if they didnt more people would have turned to zune every1 doesnt have the ability to afford a 16000 product ;) mac i will say less coz i hav a hackintosh but ipod i have the real deal so im in a better position to speak about it ;)

PS: a lot of times what we say is sarcastic and oin a lighter note but a lot of times what we say is from a customer perspective .... and it isvery easy to distinguish when we imply wht

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Hey arya, u still have to reply to my post. Wasen't it u who said Macs are using EFI since 2001 & EFI was under construction since 1991 :D...u really don't know anything about how Mac works

Top Bottom