The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

+1

Can't help you with the price, mate. Just call some Apple Authorised Reseller and ask for the price. :)

spironox

Booting Nicotine!!

ok thanks my friend ...

hey i got a bit odd question too ..how to disemble a MAc ibook G4 ^ any one with an answer

as i am off the warranty now and i got this inchy bug to see inside the ibook...

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..

aryayush said:
The idea for the new iMovie was born after one of Apple's most creative video engineers came back from a diving vacation. He shot hours of beautiful underwater video and he wanted to spend twenty minutes to take all that footage and build a five minute movie but he found that he couldn't do it quickly in iMovie and couldn't even do it with the professional tools he has access to. He thought that there must be a better way to work with video and so he invented one, the all new iMovie '08.

This is why the company is so innovative.

one day (looong time ago) this happened to me too and i used a free tool called 'windows movie maker' , and the surprising part is that i never needed classes to learn WMM.

How the hell every second thing from apple is termed as innovation!!! There is a limit to marketing things. I am sure imovie 08 is way better than Windows movie maker(i used it 4 yrs ago) ,but how the fu*k can some one call it innovation. Innovation is just not act of introducing just something new (many definitions suggest this) , or we wud have innovations from every company everyday. we are using this word very lightly, specially fanboys start bouncing when this word is used.

Nintendo DS is a innovation, it entirely changed the way we play handheld videogames. Nintendo wii is innovation , but xbox 360 (as a console) is not and not even the PS3 these are just better hardware/software, the obvious step forward in the new generation, nothing innovative.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

tarey_g said:
one day (looong time ago) this happened to me too and i used a free tool called 'windows movie maker' , and the surprising part is that i never needed classes to learn WMM.
Although I never used WMM (Adobe Premiere Pro here from...well...4 years) but WMM isn't that bad either. I wonder what new iMovie 08 provides over WMM. You still drag & drop video clips to timeline, you still add transiition, text, music....so how does iMovie 08 makes it better? Just with a black UI?

How the hell every second thing from apple is termed as innovation!!! There is a limit to marketing things. I am sure imovie 08 is way better than Windows movie maker(i used it 4 yrs ago) ,but how the fu*k can some one call it innovation.
Gaurav, you forgot who is posting this news here :D. The unpaid Apple salesman, so yeah...for him & according to him iMovie HD is innovative.

Hey arya, thats still nothing compared to Adobe Premiere Elements(Paid) on WIndows. I can even import 3GP files in WMM, can u do that in iMovie ?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

gaurav thats the mac world ... anything from apple is innovative even though it is as we call it in bollywood "inspired" ;)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

The reall innovators out there are the 3rd party vendors like Ulead or Acdsee or Adobe. Apple just copies...thsi time they even copied from Vista shamelessly...still saying its innovation

goobimama

 Macboy

Why won't the Airport Extreme base station not work with a PC? It says so on the apple site:

For setup and administration:
PC with Windows XP (SP2) or Windows Vista, CD drive, Ethernet or wireless networking capability
*www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html

I need some clarification as well, cause I was planning on buying this for the office where the only Mac is my dad's iBook. Need to use it to share internet as well as use the attached network drive for backups and such...

And I think it costs somewhere around 6.5k right?

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

^^^ might work. I prefer buying a D-link instead

goobimama

 Macboy

I just want it cause I can add an external drive to it. Plus, I'm sure the installation will be really simple...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

tarey_g said:

How the hell every second thing from apple is termed as innovation!!! There is a limit to marketing things. I am sure imovie 08 is way better than Windows movie maker(i used it 4 yrs ago) ,but how the fu*k can some one call it innovation. Innovation is just not act of introducing just something new (many definitions suggest this) , or we wud have innovations from every company everyday. we are using this word very lightly, specially fanboys start bouncing when this word is used.

Nintendo DS is a innovation, it entirely changed the way we play handheld videogames. Nintendo wii is innovation , but xbox 360 (as a console) is not and not even the PS3 these are just better hardware/software, the obvious step forward in the new generation, nothing innovative.
Thank you for answering the question raised by you yourself and making it way too easy for me. Do I term everything that Apple does innovative? I do not. Of the eight different applications introduced day before yesterday, I only labeled iMovie '08 as being innovative. You'll know why when you see the guided tour. It is a wholly different way of editing movies and it is super efficient. It is innovative because it was definitely not the next step forward. They let go off the previous concept and introduced a new one. You'll have to see it with an unclouded vision to be able to see the innovation. "wat it do. it make movei... well, wmm bin doin dat 4 yrs... apple only copy and label innovation. they rip customar. i hate them. they kil my dog!" If someone has this kind of an attitude, then of course nothing is good enough or innovative for them.

The keyboard backlight on the MacBook Pro is not innovative, but the MagSafe power adapter is. It is not the next step forward from normal power adapters and though a tiny little change, it is enormously useful. Cooling the G4 Cube without any fans was an innovation, the designs of the iMac/Mac Mini are innovations - the Mac Pro is not. I would like to believe that I do know the meaning of the word just as well as you do and I think I don't really use it as carelessly as you are suggesting.

Yes, I do associate the term innovation with Apple because they are. They regularly discard conventions and make risky decisions that though harmful for them, push the entire industry forward. The original Macintosh did, the iPod did, the Mac that discarded the floppy drive altogether in favour of a CD-ROM did. There are a lot of examples. They made retail stores work when every other company was dropping the shutters and when every critic in the world harshly criticised the move. Apple is an innovative company, and just because you think they overprice their products (because you only calculate in layman's terms, in terms of the hardware) or steal other people's work does not mean that they are not. Apple not being innovative in your opinion and them not being innovative in general are two entirely different things.

Michael Dell wrote off Apple ten years ago, "I think they should shut down the company and give the money back to the shareholders." Do you really think it was possible to reach a stage where they have a market value twice Dell's without true innovation? I certainly don't think so.

Yes, they make very wrong decisions sometimes, they try to bind their customers to using their own products (and let's face it, which company doesn't?), they overprice their accessories, they have a thousand flaws, but so does every other company. It does not change the fact that some companies are innovative while other's aren't and that Apple holds a firm place in the former category.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

aryayush said:
t is a wholly different way of editing movies and it is super efficient. It is innovative because it was definitely not the next step forward. They let go off the previous concept and introduced a new one. You'll have to see it with an unclouded vision to be able to see the innovation.
Ever used Adobe Premiere Pro on Windows Vista? Well, if you have, then u won't say iMovie 08 any innovative.

Cooling the G4 Cube without any fans was an innovation
You certainly don't know about Zalman TNN cases
the designs of the iMac
Dell Optiplex...nope u don't even know what it is

Yes, they make very wrong decisions sometimes, they try to bind their customers to using their own products (and let's face it, which company doesn't?)
Microsoft, Dell. Use the software/hardware the way u want. You can upgrade a dell inlike Apple iMac

they overprice their accessories, they have a thousand flaws, but so does every other company.
Not flaws like this. Overpricing is just a patent of Apple

It does not change the fact that some companies are innovative while other's aren't and that Apple holds a firm place in the former category.
3rd party software vendors are real innovators. Even Coverflow is not apple's own

What you call innovative in iMovie HD 08 lacks these

1) No chapter markers
2) No audio tracks playing over
3) No ducking audio at specific points
4) No video effects other than color correction
5)No ability to set timing on and preview transitions before you apply them.
6)No themes
7) Since there are no chapters, no iDVD integration anymore.

iMovie HD is even more dumbed down then iMovie 06. It would have been better or innovative if they would have given the old iMovie a new UI of iMovie 08. Thats the only thing Apple does good....but soon with Expression Blend evan that novelty will be out. I donno if I should post the .NetAdvantage WPF Sample apps UI here :D, Arya will jump out of the Windows by the UI :D

With iMove 08, Apple is pushing the users to Final Cut express.

Last edited:

yash

I draw every day

goobimama said:
I just want it cause I can add an external drive to it. Plus, I'm sure the installation will be really simple...
Indeed. that's a really cool feature. And a dedicated NAS drive will cost a lot.

I used imovie 08 and ended up editing and making home movies really quickly. I just didn't like the fact that its thumbnails folder took up almost as much space as my higher resolution videos. They should have given an option for higher compression for ppl low on disk space. And yeah, absolutely love the direct uploading to youtube.

BTW, here is a great site *www.myfirstmac.com/

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

The first site I recommend to the scores of new switchers all over the web (and five among my friends and family). :D

spironox

Booting Nicotine!!

hehe aryayush

i dissembled the Mac i BOOK G4 and it was fun ... man so much screws in it that you cant imagine and man the sexiest thing is the touch pad connector and the ATA connectors you can imagine it was like a design layout genius work !

i did the dissemble just to clean up the internals for a better ventilation and the click sounds coming from the internals

" NOT ADVICE-ABLE TO NEWBIES " but i bet once u open the case you fall in more love withe the MAC!

man its addictive

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..

aryayush said:
Michael Dell wrote off Apple ten years ago, "I think they should shut down the company and give the money back to the shareholders." Do you really think it was possible to reach a stage where they have a market value twice Dell's without true innovation? I certainly don't think so.

Yes it is possible, apple fans wet their pants on every new product release ,yesterday you wrote "I was following the coverage religiously" , this explains a lot. According to this you and 90% other apple fanboys will never see any flaw in the product(even if they do, they will say who needed that feature) because you never see the announcements from apple in a unbiased way , you ppl surrender to apple and act overwhelmingly in favor of any apple product. Apple sparks words innovation/re-invention in their marketing strategy and mac users totally buy that without a question.

Apple is very lucky to have user base like you, that’s why dell can never be apple. I just got a dell laptop because it was offering me the best deal ,i wud have bought HP or Acer if the deal was better there (imav got HP laptop because delll increased the price, because he does not give a damn abt costly dell alternative) . But i know you will never even consider a non apple product ever even if its giving good value for money, reason because you are religiously bonded with that company, a bad thing but certainly Good for apple.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

... and that is the reason why the iphone is the jesus phone and jobs' thinks he is jesus coz like Jesus he too has blind followers the difference ... Jesus was for others, jesus is for himself (note the caps)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Lolz.....how long can arya live like this without getting paid from Apple. Gaurav's quote really made me laugh.

,yesterday you wrote "I was following the coverage religiously" ,

Although I am an atheist, but even I want to know what so religious about it :D

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

tarey_g said:
Yes it is possible, apple fans wet their pants on every new product release ,yesterday you wrote "I was following the coverage religiously" , this explains a lot. According to this you and 90% other apple fanboys will never see any flaw in the product(even if they do, they will say who needed that feature) because you never see the announcements from apple in a unbiased way , you ppl surrender to apple and act overwhelmingly in favor of any apple product. Apple sparks words innovation/re-invention in their marketing strategy and mac users totally buy that without a question.

Apple is very lucky to have user base like you, that’s why dell can never be apple. I just got a dell laptop because it was offering me the best deal ,i wud have bought HP or Acer if the deal was better there (imav got HP laptop because delll increased the price, because he does not give a damn abt costly dell alternative) . But i know you will never even consider a non apple product ever even if its giving good value for money, reason because you are religiously bonded with that company, a bad thing but certainly Good for apple.
You are mostly correct. But what you don't get, and will most probably never get, is that there must be a reason why almost every person who opts to go the Mac way sticks to it. People switch from Windows to Linux all the time, to try it out, but a lot of them rebound straight back to Windows. I tried five Linux distros myself. There must be something about the company and their products.

Using Microsoft products is a compulsion for a lot of people, using Apple products is not. People choose to buy it off (of?) their own accord and fall in love with it; "religiously" follow Apple events. On this forum itself - Anand, Milind and I followed the live blogs and though Akash and Yash wanted to, they could not because of load shedding and college respectively. You are correct in saying that we are, or at least I am, tied to Apple. And the reason clearly is not the hardware. People buy Macs due to the hardware but stick to it because of the software. Apple considers itself a software company that happens to make really well designed hardware to go along with it. If I used Windows, even I would buy a notebook from whichever company offered most bang for the buck. The reason is that there is nothing differentiating a notebook from HP and another from Lenovo apart from the logo and a few accessories. Even the prices are the same and they have a myriad number of choices for any given price (with a completely insane system of having to remember model numbers, if I might add). No one company is better than the other.

Apple is different. Mac OS X makes it different - not the backlit keyboard or the MagSafe adapter. I chose to be tied to Apple on my own free will, knowing that there was a way out if I did not like it, but I am glad I did and have never regretted it for a second. In fact, the blatantly obvious jealousy in some people on this forum gives me even more reason to be satisfied with my purchase. And I am also happy that no one who has bought a Mac on my suggestion has regretted it yet. And it's not that I recommend it to everyone either. My uncle wanted a PC within Rs. 35,000 and he wanted it to be reasonably powerful and be able to play games. Windows was not necessary and the whole decision was left to me. I chose a PC.

I see twenty threads each day about new notebooks and computers but I only ever recommend a Mac to those who have a budget enough to opt for it and requirements that a Mac fulfills. There are certain things a Mac either cannot do or is inferior to Windows for the particular task, but for most things, it is far more superior to Windows (and I mean years ahead) and has the safety net of going back to Windows. It even runs Windows and Linux applications. Unless someone wants a ridiculously cheap computer or one that he will use only/mostly for gaming - there is no reason not to buy a Mac, specially Mac notebooks.

Anyway, this discussion is way off the topic. I won't ever agree with you and you won't either. So there is no point having a verbal war over it. Let sleeping dogs lie... (I know this doesn't really suit this usage but "let us just agree to disagree" has become far too cliché. :p)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

goobimama said:
I need some clarification as well, cause I was planning on buying this for the office where the only Mac is my dad's iBook. Need to use it to share internet as well as use the attached network drive for backups and such...

And I think it costs somewhere around 6.5k right?
I cannot Understand.. cant iBook work with existing WiFi routers? Im not sure if iBook has WiFi built in ..

goobimama

 Macboy

@chirangk: The iBook has no problems working with any wireless connection. Currently using a Linksys wireless router, and its working perfectly. In fact, better than on the PC.

Its just that gx said that the airport extreme will not work on PCs, and the office is full of PCs. But as I see it, the apple router works with PCs as well as Macs so there should be no problem.

Top Bottom