The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

I sure hope they release a video of this on iTunes.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Are someone tell me what is skimming? Is it like what I see on the web photo gallery that when I mouseover a thumbnail of an event it changes the thumbnail, & when I mouse over again, it changes to some other photo in that event.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Ah, goobi and aku have gone offline. I better quit too. It was a nice day. Thanks to everyone for the enthusiastic attendance! :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Will post my bashings tomorrow :D.

Damn, new Mac mini still uses GMA 950. What the hell is Apple doing with Mac mini

Ok...got what skimming is.

When you mouse over an event in iPhoto 08, & drag the cursor to right or left it cycles through the next or previous image. If it is anything like the web application then this is how skimming looks like. Made using TechSmith Jing on Vista :D

Video of Skimming 2.5 MB RAR. SWF file.

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"

Good work arya! :)

goobimama

 Macboy

Congrats aayush. We needn't even go to engadget the next time for some good apple coverage...its right here on this thread!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Yup, a very good sales man & copy paster he is...Kudos for the marketing boy :D

iWork 08 trial is out now

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

video of yesterday's time waste:

url

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Thank you, kalpik and goobimama! :)
I enjoyed that immensely. :D

Now, for some more updates:

John Gruber on iWork '08

Pages ’08 includes Word-compatible change tracking. Keynote has been way better than PowerPoint ever since it shipped. (Keynote might be the best desktop app in the world, in my opinion — it’s quite obvious that it’s Jobs’s personal favorite.) And, now, finally, Numbers: “the spreadsheet for the rest of us”.

Translation: Microsoft, go **** yourselves. This is the “bring it on” release of iWork.

Emphasis added in the first paragraph.]

[Via Daring Fireball]

I am in total agreement with the emphasised portion.

iPhones ready for web gallery now - automatically!

Well, here's something interesting. This morning, I had three options when working with photos on my iPhone: "Use as Wallpaper," "Email Photo" and "Assign to Contact." Well, I turned my phone on a minute ago (about 4:15 PM Eastern), and a fourth option has appeared: "Send to Web Gallery." No sync, no connection to my computer, it's just there.

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.tuaw.com/media/2007/08/iphoerdygalry5150.jpg​

If you haven't restarted your iPhone today, do it now. A surprise may be waiting for you.

[Via The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)]

Seriously, I think I'm going to need something more effective than mere words to describe how incredibly cool this company is! :p

Pages '08 opens Word 2007 documents

We reported that Office 2008 for the Mac has been delayed until January 2008, which means you'll have to use the beta file converter before you can open Word 2007 for Windows documents on your Mac (Office 2007 introduced a new file format called Office Open XML which Office 2004 for the Mac doesn't support. The converter dumbs down the file so Office for the Mac can open it).

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.tuaw.com/media/2007/08/iworkoffice2007sbm08072007.jpg​

Sure, you could do that, or you could use the first word processor for the Mac that supports that file format natively: Pages '08. That's right, Apple's little word processor that could can open Word 2007 documents (and earlier). It doesn't just open them either, Apple says that styles, tables, and other parts of the document are intact as well.

That sound you just heard? The MacBU screaming in frustration.

Yup, I did. Loud and clear. :lol:
I'm glad I did not bother with that converter nonsense.

The Dumbest Question I've Ever Heard

Peter Cohen, Macworld:

One question that came from the audience wondered why Apple doesn’t participate in the “Intel Inside” program, in which PC manufacturers affix the well-known labels to their computers.

“We like our own stickers better,” Jobs said. “Don’t get me wrong. We love working with Intel. We’re proud to ship Intel products in Macs. They’re screamers, and combined with our OS, we’ve tuned them well. It’s just that everyone knows we use Intel processors. We’d rather not tell them about the product that’s inside the box.”

Jobs offers a rare chance for a public Q&A and someone asks why they don’t booger up their computers with horrid stickers? Will someone please tell me who asked this question so I can name him jackass of the week?

Also, a great quote from Jobs, regarding why Apple doesn’t go after low-end market share in the PC market:

“But there’s some stuff in our industry that we wouldn’t be proud to ship. And we just can’t do it. We can’t ship junk. There are thresholds we can’t cross because of who we are.”

[Via Daring Fireball]

Couldn't possibly agree more. Gruber is a friggin' genius.

Ars Technica unboxes a new iMac

When Steve said those new iMacs were available today, he meant it. One of the lovable staffers at Ars Technica couldn't resist the siren's song of the new iMac. Since they are, you know, geeks they took a series of unboxing pictures which we are required, by law, to link to. Don't blame me, I'm just doing my duty as a card carrying member of the Mac Web.

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.tuaw.com/media/2007/08/07imac_iphotosbm08072007.jpg​

Apple was kind enough to include a nice, soft cloth with which to wipe the screen clean of all your friend's drool.

Sexy packaging; standard fare; nothing out of the ordinary. But it sure makes for some nice ApplePr0n - this is healthy stuff!

I have some complaints with iWeb '08:
1. Still no HTML editing.
2. Works only with .Mac.
3. No option to quickly set up a discussion board.

As awesome as it is, Apple should have taken into account the fact that people will now use it to build professional websites too (due to support for TLDs) and therefore, should at least have allowed editing the code from within the application.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

aryayush said:
I am in total agreement with the emphasised portion.

Hmm....so Now I guess MS should stop the development of Office for Mac. Hey Arya, does pages 08 supportS ODF, Macros?

Seriously, I think I'm going to need something more effective than mere words to describe how incredibly cool this company is! :p

How long has it been since I m uploading pics to my flickr & Windows Live spaces by just taking from my Phone & Mailing to these accounts....ummmmm 2 years I think. :D. Whats new in iPhone?

Yup, I did. Loud and clear. :lol:
I'm glad I did not bother with that converter nonsense.

Yup, about time MS should stop development

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

A little more information about iWeb '08:

Though there is (apparently) no support for editing the HTML code, you can add your own HTML snippets. Thus, it is now possible to embed YouTube videos in iWeb, for instance.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Nope, you haven't. Only a personal domain name is supported but no support for hosting your website somewhere else apart from .Mac.

I've downloaded and watched every single video available including the guided tour, overviews and tutorials. Only .Mac.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Download iWork Trial 460 MB

Some screenshot of iPhoto 08 from another Macboy

Least favorite item

iPhoto Library - now a big ass binary file that can become corrupt. Remember to back up your work, folks.

*www.blog.stewtopia.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/finderscreensnapz007.jpg

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

aayush, i must commend ur work :) i'm not a mac user, so i wudn't bother to check out what all happend yester at some other site. but ur posts in this thread made me read everything and i must say that i'm impressed by the way its presented. everything in a place.

i personally think apple should give more imp. to hardware. it should moot an R&D team which comes up wid every possi way to harness each ounce of power under the hood.

ps: wud be better if u use thumbnails. not everyone is on broadband and looking at the loading times, first time readers may shy away.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Engadget iMac gen 4 unboxing. The only thing it offers over a cheap & better hardware based Dell = Looks.

goobimama

 Macboy

I just love Apple. iWork 08 is simply amazing! ;)

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

You've violated the golden rule. Now you'll have to face the consequences. Just wait and watch. :p

@infra_red_dude
Thank you, man! I was just way too excited and I was also religiously following the live coverage on seven websites, so there was no real chance of transferring those images to ImageShack and posting thumbnails. I would've been caught up in that and missed all the fun. :p

Here's a little excerpt from the iLife '08 guided tour:
The idea for the new iMovie was born after one of Apple's most creative video engineers came back from a diving vacation. He shot hours of beautiful underwater video and he wanted to spend twenty minutes to take all that footage and build a five minute movie but he found that he couldn't do it quickly in iMovie and couldn't even do it with the professional tools he has access to. He thought that there must be a better way to work with video and so he invented one, the all new iMovie '08.
This is why the company is so innovative. :D

Also, here's a nice example of Apple's modesty:

The new iMac’s price-drop

Apple had claimed that they dropped about $200 off the price of the iMac, but that’s only really a half-truth.

Take a look at this example. Obviously, the left side is the previous model, built one day before the new model was made available. On the right is an equally spec’d iMac of the newest generation.

*www.the-ish.com/blog/images/imac-pricedrop.jpg

Read more...

This was genuinely surprising for me.

You can also see a nice comparison of the new and "not-quite-new" iMac here. :)

spironox

Booting Nicotine!!

hey guys i wandered around at the forum but couldnt find any pricing list to get a airport terminal for mac ??

i also want to know is the windows based pc/laptops will be able to acess the network ?? seems stupid na but yeah soem vendors dont agree with them!!!

regards
nixon

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

spironox said:
i also want to know is the windows based pc/laptops will be able to acess the network ?? seems stupid na but yeah soem vendors dont agree with them!

If you mean whether Airport extreme will work with Windows PC = No

If you mean whether Airport extreme hooked to a Mac, & whether this Mac will be visible to a Windows System then yeah, it will be.

Top Bottom