The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
@goobi, but is that not your phone number. and wait till the people come to your home and try to configure the net on your Macbook ot iMac(or whatever).

Any guess what would be the first question?

My guess is, where is the start button?
Zero configuration networking, dude. That guy need not know a thing. :)

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
I am surprised that you guys don't use DVDs !!! What do you use then ???
I don't know about him, but I have a 360GB Fileserver running on the local network ( also acting as my server ) where I store all my files. My Mini has a mere 80gig HDD, and I wouldn't be storing much either.

Well see now I am backing up my Mac, I need a DVD Writer badly. Now the only solution left for me is to transfer GBs and GBs of data to PC and burn them. I am transferring through WiFi and it sucks let me tell you, speeds are less than 1.5mbps. Just imagine how much time will it take for me to transfer and burn them !!!!!
Again, personal opinion, but there's too much of a hassle with DVDs. Insert, click burn, wait endlessly either staring at the screen, cutting your footnails, swatting mosquitos or simply cleaning your desk while your DVD burns, then label it and the big task of storing it. An external HDD makes it all so easy. Luckily, I'm investing in one soon :)

But the good news is hopefully tonight I'll meet the Big Cat and guys please pray that my next post on this forum is from Leopard!!!

Good Luck Azeem

Amen!!
!
Good luck to you :)

There are these things called external hard drives. Ever heard of them? :p
And they are really cheap too.

You put the ethernet cable, OS X asks for User ID and Password (you can name the connection if you want - like BSNL, Dataone, etc..) and there you go, you're online.

If the router is set to PPPoE mode, the username and password won't be required either. Just plug in the ethernet cable... or in goobi's case soon, switch on the WiFi switch.

...And thanks to Preshit, I know how to configure a wireless router.
You're most welcome :)

@Azeem: Just get an external drive dude. 500GB for 6k or so. Forget about DVDs. And in any case, you can just about plug in that drive into the PC whenever you need to burn something.
Get SuperDuper. You'll only know how easy it is after using it.

Even if he doesn't.. he'd still ask it :p

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I can't understand the fuss going around for the external HDD. I too have a 160GB Wd Passport. But I burn the data that I need. I need a DVD drive. How much data can you keep putting in the drive?

It makes sense only if you keep investing in a HDD as soon as your present one is filled up. Not to mention, one for Time Machine/Super Duper.

DVD is just 10-15% of the cost you'll be spending on a HDD.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Both working in tandem is the best combination. Now if only SuperDuper! worked with a Time Capsule, you could have a no mess, single drive wireless backup solution. I'm sure it will happen...

@drgrudge,
The advantages of external hard drives far outweigh the expensiveness, in my humble opinion.

goobimama

 Macboy
How many times do you require to boot from your backup drive? If the system crashes, you just have to reinstall Leopard using a TM backup. Takes a little longer, but it's certainly not much of a hassle compared to the benefits it offers.

@Dr: If you are talking about 'backing up' movies, then well yes, DVDs rock. But ever since I've stopped archiving movies (since it doesn't take more than 1 night to buy the movie again), I find it hard to fill up my 500GB HDD.

I have always wanted to ask this: what the hell happened to your polls ? It looks sick. Please start a new thread, then create the required poll in it, and transfer the contents of this thread, all but the last(for keepability) to the new thread, and then delete this thread.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
[offtopic]
You guys _havta_ see Jeff Dunham's - Achmed the dead terrorist video on Youtube. No.. you just have to
[/offtopic]

kumarmohit

Technomancer

See that is what the problem is. Those guyz no nothing at all. Hence they are gonna ask for start menu.

Personally I would have let them fiddle for sometime, if would have been in a cdn like goobi, before I would have shown them safari working.

Just for the sake of fun.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I wouldn't let them come near my Mac. As much as I would love to see them mess around cluelessly and pass stupid remarks, it wouldn't be entertaining enough to warrant letting them touch my Mac.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I've started using Spaces today. Configured three spaces – one for the Internet and writing, the second one for iTunes and QuickTime Player and the third one for miscellaneous tasks.

Let's see how long this lasts...

narangz

Web developer
^^BSNL doesn't usually call their customers. Infact its the opposite. Customers keep calling/visiting to know their username!

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
well in my city they make usernames themselves and they only call to ask if u r at home so they can install the stuff.after that its just us calling BSNL :lol:

Top Bottom