The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
its exactly this one
*www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MA611LL-Notebook-SuperDrive/dp/B0006HU56Q
MAcbook pro 17''
C2D 2.3ghzz,160gb hdd,2gb ram ,

and my name is Nishant Pawar :D

EDIT--prev amazon link was bad

It came with Logic Express with 100$ more i think

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Saying that it is the current MacBook Pro 17" would have sufficed, you know. There aren't many different models. :p

Your information has been added in the first post. Welcome to the family! :)

dinesh72

Journeyman
Hello Guys
I would like to switch to MAC. I am following this thread for quite a while now and would definitely switch to MAC. thanks for the lot of info. Downloading few programs mentioned here.
@dr
I went to Apple shop in Bur Dubai to look for macbook black but they asked me to buy RAM separately to upgrade it to 2GB. Thats expensive. they were not ready to replace it. is it worth buying in dubai or better in mumbai. Also i understood here that new MBP may come shortly. Is it worth waiting to see what it is? Also what the expenrience would be on macbook and MBP 15". My current hp 15" is bit heavy and would like to go lighter.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Heh heh. No problem. I just didn't want to stick my nose in without being asked, so I made you ask me and now I can be shamelessly intrusive. :p

Anyway...

Hello Guys
Hello to you too! :)

I would like to switch to MAC.
Who wouldn't! Good decision. It's Mac, by the way, which is the short form of Macintosh. Not 'MAC'.

I am following this thread for quite a while now and would definitely switch to MAC. thanks for the lot of info. Downloading few programs mentioned here.
There's no point downloading any Mac applications until you've bought it. It's not like you can use them on Windows till then.

... and aryayush and everyone else... :p

I went to Apple shop in Bur Dubai to look for macbook black but they asked me to buy RAM separately to upgrade it to 2GB. Thats expensive. they were not ready to replace it.
Umm... what? You wanted to buy RAM but it was expensive and that won't replace it? What? Could you be a tad more clear please?

is it worth buying in dubai or better in mumbai.
Over to you, grudgy.

Also i understood here that new MBP may come shortly. Is it worth waiting to see what it is?
Yes, it is. It is expected to be launched very soon and will probably also have Multi-touch.

Also what the expenrience would be on macbook and MBP 15".
The MacBook is definitely a bit lighter and more portable, but the MacBook Pro is far more powerful. It depends on what you're looking for, portable notebook or a desktop replacement, and what your budget is.

Feel free to fire any other questions. :)

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
@Dinesh:
Welcome to the community :) Fire up any queries that you may have. Our Author, Doctor, Grape-Eater and others will try to make sure you have them answered.

-----------------------------

About my optical drive, finally lodged the issue with Apple India and a replacement drive will be sent to the dealer in 7 days time. I have to take my Mini to him and get it replaced.
Till then, I'm Stuck. I _so_ want to buy the MacBook Black.

dinesh72

Journeyman
i saw macbook with 2 ghz, 160 gb hdd and 1 gb ram. i wanted one with 2 gb ram. they asked me to buy it separately, it means i will have 1 gb with me spare for nothing.
budget not a big concern, if macbook pro is powerfull that would be good.

goobimama

 Macboy
Look dude. Apple overcharges for RAM. End of story. You can get 4GB of RAM instead of 1GB from Apple. And installation of new RAM is painless. Takes one screw to uncover the RAM chamber (maybe two screws)

If you end up stuck with a Gig of RAM in hand, just auction it on ebay for cheap and you should get some extra cash to buy Sabji-bread.

@Preshit: How about getting a Firewire enclosure and sticking in a normal external DVD writer? You could just pull it out of the closet when you desperately need it. Make sure it's firewire, cause USB writers suck.

@nish: My entire group of buddies is crazy about Alter Bridge. If they need, I can convert several hundred more.

Last edited:

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
If you end up stuck with a Gig of RAM in hand, just auction it on ebay for cheap and you should get some extra cash to buy Sabji-bread.
*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/24.gif*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/4.gif

oh yeah---more Alter Bridge fans-that will help getting them to a concert in india,some merchandise ,etc-even the new album

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I went to Apple shop in Bur Dubai to look for macbook black but they asked me to buy RAM separately to upgrade it to 2GB. Thats expensive. they were not ready to replace it.
Why Bur Dubai (Al Ain Plaza or Burjuman?)? Goto Jumbo/Sharaf DG to buy.

is it worth buying in dubai or better in mumbai.
MBP (base model) costs ~Dhs 8,700. In India, it's Rs 105k. You're saving ober Rs 10k. If you want to buy MacBook (for it's mobility) then buy the RAM also in Dubai (Al Ain plaza, take the escalator and enter the shop in front of you).

Also Apple, Middle East put up sale during sept time offering discounts to students and faculty members. If you know anyone, then you can get at a discounted price (I got my MBP like that only).

i saw macbook with 2 ghz, 160 gb hdd and 1 gb ram. i wanted one with 2 gb ram. they asked me to buy it separately, it means i will have 1 gb with me spare for nothing.
budget not a big concern, if macbook pro is powerfull that would be good.
MacBook Pro is the lightest and the thinest of all lappies around. But honestly, I don't see any difference with respect to mobility wrt to the 15" Dell I had. I currently use my MBP as a desktop replacement (plus I might need to run Pro apps), so brought a MBP.

Also i understood here that new MBP may come shortly. Is it worth waiting to see what it is? Also what the expenrience would be on macbook and MBP 15".
If you were to wait, you need to do eternally. All companies update their product line up.

I've never used a MacBook but I like my MBP performance. Very fast. Would you believe that I've put even 4 pictures in Loupe/Zoom at the same time in Aperture and still got decent performance. If you want to play games, HD videos, it's better to buy MBP. The resolution is also higher in MBP.

If you can compromise on the mobility, buy a MBP only. :)

goobimama

 Macboy
Sure replace that for free, but you currently don't have a DVD writer right? Anyway, it was a silly thing for me to say. Ignore it.

As for Macbook Pro vs Macbook, basic computing tasks are the same (WRT to clock speed). However that graphics card makes a huge difference in Pro apps like Final Cut, Aperture, and also you sometimes miss out of desktop effects due to lack of proper graphics (although, I guess the x3100 is sufficient for most purposes).

Also, the screen quality of the Macbook Pro is much better than the Macbook. All in all the Macbook is good for regular usage, Macboook Pro is for Pro use or desktop replacement.

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ True that. I can't remember the last time I burnt a DVD. For that matter I don't remember the last time I even used a DVD. Bad for the environment :p

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
@darky, goobi

I am surprised that you guys don't use DVDs !!! What do you use then ???
Well see now I am backing up my Mac, I need a DVD Writer badly. Now the only solution left for me is to transfer GBs and GBs of data to PC and burn them. I am transferring through WiFi and it sucks let me tell you, speeds are less than 1.5mbps. Just imagine how much time will it take for me to transfer and burn them !!!!!

But the good news is hopefully tonight I'll meet the Big Cat and guys please pray that my next post on this forum is from Leopard!!!

Good Luck Azeem

Amen!!

Hey I just saw your sig Milind and see the co-incidence we both need prayers!!

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I am surprised that you guys don't use DVDs !!! What do you use then ???
There are these things called external hard drives. Ever heard of them? :p

goobimama said:
BSNL called up today! They wanted to know what username I wanted for broadband! Finally, there is some hope in the horizon! (Please pray for me).
I actually did. :)

kumarmohit

Technomancer
@goobi, but is that not your phone number. and wait till the people come to your home and try to configure the net on your Macbook ot iMac(or whatever).

Any guess what would be the first question?

My guess is, where is the start button?

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
^^
Why would they want to configure? goobi will ask them to shut the **** up. :)

You put the ethernet cable, OS X asks for User ID and Password (you can name the connection if you want - like BSNL, Dataone, etc..) and there you go, you're online.

OS X Leopard/Tiger connects to network automatically No need for the stupid network connection thing (double clicking and fooling around). When you net disconnects (mine does every 24 hrs for god knows what reason), it automatically connects. When you sleep (ie close the lid) and wake it, the network is ready.

This might sound a big deal. But you need to exp. this. I hate Windows. It has been months before I worked in a Windows environment (I've a Windows Desktop at home).

goobimama

 Macboy
Oh well, I know how to configure a modem. And thanks to Preshit, I know how to configure a wireless router. So when the day arrives, I'm going to jump about like a little girl who has just won a barbie doll at the local village feast, and run to the store to pick up a router. The dude doesn't even have to know I have a mac.

@Azeem: Just get an external drive dude. 500GB for 6k or so. Forget about DVDs. And in any case, you can just about plug in that drive into the PC whenever you need to burn something.

Top Bottom