The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I'm sick & tired of FX now and slowly coming in terms to be a true Apple fanboy.

I want to switch to Safari to Firefox. (Not going to list the reasons, but if anyone wants to know, I'll oblige)

Please help me in the following ares:
1. What Ad Blocker to use? There's this helmet thing, Saft and 4 others. I want something like ADP of FX where the thing is updated often.
2. How can I add the New Tab icon (if any) to the toolbar?
3. What all plugins can I install? Any exiting features? I know that pimpmysafari.com, but any other add on you suggest?
4. If I bookmark a site, can I assign keyword(s)? In FX, if I type "g" and enter, it goes to gmail.com and "td" comes to this forum, etc..
5. Is there StumbleUpon toolbar/add on?
6. Is there auto-copy feature in Safari? I just select texts (even in textboxes) it automatically copies to clipboard and deselects after copying.
7. How does Safari manage passwords and forms? If there any tool like the
8. What is this snapback thing? Also do we have the mouse gestures?
9. Any good features of Safari? What is that one feature of Safari is not there in other browsers?
10. If I click the RSS button on the url, can I choose a web based browser than desktop client?
11. And code plugins for Safari? Like adding , for forums and adding <b>, <em>, <a href> for html etc?

Thanks.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
^^Stick to firefox.

1) I use Safari Adblock. It doesn't have as much control, but it works fine. Doesn't block google ads though. Then there's Saft which is a must install.
2) Check here[/url}
3) I'm not a pimper or any sorts so I don't really know. I like the browser to be what it is, a browser.
4) I think saft can do that, but I'm not sure.
5) There's a trick for adding a StumbleUpon thing as a basic bookmark. It's not nearly as powerful as the toolbar, but you can click on the bookmark and it takes you to a new site.
7) Safari uses the systemwide keychain. It manages web forms, username/passwords, and such. Pretty satisfactory to me.
8) Snapback takes you to the original website you started off with. Not as special as you think but it's really handy at times. I don't think there's mouse guestures.

That's all from me.

Oh, I forgot to mention, there's
1) Inquisitor search. Yeah baby!
2) Private browsing
3) Awesome DOM inspector
4) Merging Windows. Snapping out a tab.
5) It's fast.
6) Dashclips
7) And I hope you all know: If you find a web page with lots of contact info, and wished there was a data detectors feature in Safari, all you have to do is, File > Mail contents of this page, and you can do all that Data detection in Mail. ;)

Last edited:

drgrudge

1. Ok, I'll try 2/3 stuffs and see which is good for me. saft doesn't seem to work or I'm not doing it the right way.
2. Forget it. Looks difficult and long steps. Command-T is ok with me.
4. Saft can do and Safari by default assigns Cmd + 1, Cmd + 2, etc...
5. Did you mean this? That'll be useful only to discover new site and maybe not to rate pages.

Otherwise Stumbleupon toolbar is not supported for Opera n Safari.
7. How to add info to keychain and how do I add stuff automatically to web forms?
8. Mouse Gestures is there! It's Coaca suite. Not a freeware.

Need to be resolved:
5, 6, 7, 10, 11

Removed FX from the dock. Going use Safari till FX 3.0 comes along. :D

goobimama

 Macboy
7) Just enter web forms as you would normally. After that it is Command+Shift+A to autofill.

(The numbers are confusing)
- You will need the 10.0.0.5 version of Saft to work with 10.5.2
- Not sure what you want to do with RSS. Anyway, I'm not into RSS. Preshit is the RSS dude
- Also, you do realise you can resize text forms (like this one) using the handle at the bottom right?

drgrudge

I tried pithhelmet and it's good. Blocks all the **** and we can browse the sites bare bone if we want. Good. :D Still not powerful and flexible as ADP in FX.

RSS is important dude. Darky uses Desktop client and I use Google Reader. Seems I've add the maal manually.

Also what is snapping out of a Tab do? How do do that?

goobimama

 Macboy
Ah then Aayush is the go-to-guy. He's a Google Reader freak (I feel like I'm matchmaking!)

As for the tab thing, you can just drag out a tab to make it's own new window.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
I've been trying to call up Apple Support Helpline since morning. Looks like they're closed on a Sunday.
I'll have to take my mini to the dealer to get the drive fixed :(

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
@drgrudge,
One word of advice. Please follow it for your own sake!

For one month - just one - use Safari without trying to make it a duplicate of Firefox. Don't install Saft. Just install Inquisitor and use the default thing. You'll miss those extra "features" for two days and then you'll realise that all those extra stuff just distract you from the actual browsing itself. Safari gives you all the features you need, cutting out all the junk that you can have, but you needn't.

I used Opera and anyone who's used that browser knows that it's absolutely the best in the features department. It had every feature you could think of and then some. And I used all of them. However, ever since I've switched to Safari, my browsing experience has become much more pleasant and I would never want to go back to Opera or anything.

That's just my opinion. Feel free to act according to your own will. :)

About Google Reader. Just drag the "Subscribe..." bookmark to the bookmarks bar and then whenever you want to subscribe to the RSS feed on any website, just hit that button. Simple. :)

You could also use NetNewsWire, but I'd recommend Google Reader.

drgrudge

I'm still not happy with Adblocking. pithhelmet is effective against Google Ads but If I want to block a iFrame or any other images, it's not possible unless you block all the images from that site. Saft doesn't seem to work properly even f I add the list.

I want a Ad blocker which can block ads (it should know it's a ad) plus ability to block any images and iframes.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Am I the only one who doesn't care about the ads unless they are extremely annoying (in which case, I don't visit those sites anymore)?

goobimama

 Macboy
Yep. Unless ads are distracting, I don't mind them at all. In fact, if they are all blocked, the whole site design suffers.

Top Bottom