The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

Eight hours!!! I still might give it a try though. Thanks, goobi! :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

gx_saurav said:
Nah, I can do this in my existing CPU Cabinet, I can use my existing Monitor, existing HDD, existing Keyboard, existing Mouse, existing webcam, existing Audigy LS, existing DVD writer
u forgot existing mic :D

freshseasons

King of my own Castle

How much is the lastest Macbook Pro...!
Are there any exchange policies , like i can exchange my old one with new one...?
And how much rebate do they consider under these circumstances..!

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

The fifteen inch one is around Rs. 1,10,000 and the seventeen inch one is around Rs. 1,40,000.

No exchange policy at all.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Wow...what a cost :D

goobi said:
Isn't that like a whole new computer?

Nope, that still doesn't count as a new computer according to Vista's License, cos I will still be using my existing Hard disk :D.

If I change my HD & motherboard both, then it will be treated as a new computer. I can simply activate my key on this new system & my old system will be deactivated.

What this means that Old system will continue to work, just that it will no longer be treated as Genuine Windows on that old hardware. I will simply move my license from Old Computer to new computer.

iMav, my mic is inside my webcam

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Here's a new one.

When you've been using Final Cut Pro for a few days continuously, i.e. you have not quit it, and then leave it idle for a while, a yak ambles onto the desktop to graze and starts spouting off quotes. Move the mouse and the bugger startles and scuttles off. It is an easter egg. LOL! :lol:

Here's a screenshot:

*purplemacaroni.com/BruceYak.jpg
[Click on the image to see a very short, 280KB movie of the yak in action.]

To know more about it, just google "bruce the wonder yak". :lol:

As if the BSoD icon and this yak wasn't enough, this quote (courtesy Bruce, the Wonder Yak) certainly proves that the software engineers at Apple have a sense of humour:

"What? You were expecting a paper clip?"

:lol: :lol: That one had me in stitches. :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming

^^^ u wrote the fast track to apple ???
which city u frm ?? You (ur dad) own an apple store or something ??

and btw why are some names in page no 163 censored ?? even in page 164 ?? in that chat clients article ??

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Yes, I did author this month's Fast Track along with goobimama and mail2and. Look for Aayush Arya in the credits. :)
I'm from Siliguri and my father does not own any Apple Store.

The chapter on software was written by mail2and. Maybe he wanted to hide the names of his girlfriends. :D

I authored the first chapter, the iPhone chapter, the one on Mac OS X and the switcher's guide. Overall, that makes 120 of those 180 pages.

Turn to page 93. You'll see a familiar name in "The Apple Menu" picture. :p

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming

yeah right.....so digit contacted u to write an fast track for them
cool....so u got paid ?? if so how much ???
did u meet any of the team digit ??

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..

I have not read digit from long time , but its a no brainer that a mac/apple fast track content for digit will be provided by the only three mac users on this forum. Infact these three are the only three ppl i know using macs , and oh yes that nepecker guy/gal .

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

hey could some 1 post the links that arya might have filled the 180 pages on the iphone with :D ab samjha itne saare links kyon aa rahe the :D .... btw congrats on authoring a tech book to all 3 of u...

but on a more serious note and unbiased i got my doubts abt the info u mustv provided .... its got to be the good things and 1 sided :roll: if so then u aint doing justice as an author to people who are going to buy something based on the info u provide, else it would seem like an apple sponsored booklet ;)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

aks_win said:
so digit contacted u to write an fast track for them
mail2and recommended me to them and then Nimish (FatBeing) contacted me via PM.
I then emailed Mr. Deepak and he told me to write a thousand word essay on "Why Mac OS X is better than Windows Vista?" to test my skills. He liked my end result and I got the job. :)

aks_win said:
so u got paid ?? if so how much ???
They pay freelancers within forty-five days of publication. I don't know how much I'll get but given the amount of work I've done and how much I've written, I do expect a hefty sum. Let's see... (wink wink nudge nudge)

aks_win said:
did u meet any of the team digit ??
I was in Siliguri, mate. We discussed things over email (hundreds of them), phone calls and instant messages.

iMav said:
but on a more serious note and unbiased i got my doubts abt the info u mustv provided .... its got to be the good things and 1 sided :roll: if so then u aint doing justice as an author to people who are going to buy something based on the info u provide, else it would seem like an apple sponsored booklet ;)
You have to remember that those chapters were not written for a personal blog. They were authored for India's best selling technology magazine. Do you really thing we could have gotten away with biased stuff?

I had to re-write the whole Mac OS X chapter because the initial one was biased.

In an email Nimish sent to me, he had this to say about my original chapter (among other things):
"I can imagine the joy you must have felt with every anti-Windows word, but this is not how we do things at Digit. When we compare features, we don't use sarcasm (of the non-subtle variety, at that) against any of the contenders. We know when to suppress the inner fanboy, and this is something we expect of you."

Therefore, rest assured that the book you have in your hands has been written by competent people and has been edited by professionals before reaching your hands. It is an objective take on Apple. Of course, since most of whatever Apple does is praiseworthy, the book gives them credit where they deserve it. (BTW, the iPhone drawbacks take about five pages and I've written them!)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

edited by professionals ah thats good ;) written by whom i know their opinions quite well :D anyways congratulations and i hope u all get more opportunities :p .... writing is better than being a salesman :D

praka123

left this forum longback

^it is the same for u too :D and the 3 more salesmen here hehe!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

im sorry u have nothing to sell :D and im no salesman ... vistas sales team is doing quiet well i read an article on merawindows which said that vista's sales are increasing and os x sales are stagnant though im skeptical about the state being the same once the leopard is let loose

goobimama

 Macboy

iMav and GX are both hypocrits. At least I admit whole heartedly that I'm a Macboy (if in case you didn't see my usertitle thing)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

i would have accepted being called a hypocrite on this issue if os x didnt turn out to be as un-productive as it did how can u call me a hypocrite for saying that an os that doesnt have a cut option isnt a good enough os :D and i can bet a 100$ that none of u would have included that in ur fast track :D

however coming back to the topic i dont know how useful it is going to be to indian users but consider this as news :

Elgato Brings Network-Connected HDTV to Your Mac With HDHomeRun

*gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/07/elgatohd.jpg
Elgato improves on their USB High Def solution for Macs by introducing the HDHomeRun, a network-connected device that can actually service multiple machines at once. There are two ATSC (over the air or unencrypted cable but not standard cable) tuners, which means two people can watch 24 and Heroes at the same time. The whole setup runs you $199, which is kind of steep if you compare it to the $299 TiVo HD.

*gizmodo.com/gadgets/hdtv/elgato-brings-network+connected-hdtv-to-your-mac-with-hdhomerun-281897.php

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Edited by pros, yup

Unbiased, nope

The thing is Apple needs such salesmanship to sale while Windows Vista on the other hand is so simple, easy to use & widely compatible that it doesn't require a manual like one written by Macboys.

I guess they still didn't mention that Mac OS X has no support for HD DVD & Blu Ray till v 10.4, that they can not be upgraded like PCs or no support for multisession DVDs, infect plethora of things.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

arre woh sab k liye there r other ppl ... :D

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Posting flaws of iPhone in 5 pages doesn't make the article unbiased if u have not mentioned the Windows equivalent of a Mac OS feature, or the fact that there is no alternative to a feature missing in MacOS X.

Example can be no default support for external CD Writer or hardware Accelerated Audio (lack of Audigy). Mac salesman say " If u r a pro musician, then obviously buy an extarnal sound card", which I don't need in PC.

Arya, u can't say the book is not unbiased. I doubt if u 3 mentioned these simple flaws of the Mac Platform.

Then again, it was written by Macboys to praise Apple, obviously we cannot expect truth from unpaid Apple sales who don't even know that Windows has been using EFI since before Mac or PCs have booting from USB Drives since ages.

Marketing a product does not require showing other sides of it. Kudos for a very good marketing attempt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom