The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

Nah, somewhat better. Spotlight does thos for PDF only. Instant search does this for any file as long as a decoder is installed, whether it is XPS or DOC or PPT or PDF or XLS

goobimama

 Macboy

First of all Vista doesn't even come with native support for PDF. Secondly, who said OS X can't search within doc, xls and most other file formats? It can even search within layers of a PSD file. And that is a really really helpful feature I might add.

Here's one: ANY application, ANY, with a print command, and you can just use the bottom right "PDF" button, and select from the various options like "Print to PDF", "Compress PDF" "Encrypt PDF". Of course some of the pro applications like Indesign and whatnot don't have this in their print command cause they have a much sophisticated print dialog box. They do come with their own PDF export though so nothing lost.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Goobi, I hope you know what happened with MS when they tried to include native PDF functionality in Vista & Office 2007. There is a reason it is not in Vista.
Here's one: ANY application, ANY, with a print command, and you can just use the bottom right "PDF" button, and select from the various options like "Print to PDF", "Compress PDF" "Encrypt PDF".

Due to Adobe suing MS, they came up with a better alternative then PDF as far as file size is concerned. XPS.

Oh & this Print to PDF from any application, you don't need a Mac for that. just download one of many free PDF Printers for Windows Vista such as BullZip PDF printer or PDF Creator

goobimama

 Macboy

Aren't we talking about the default install set here? If that's the case, I can mention so many other things...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

I gave you the reason why this functionality cannot be given in Vista by default, I think you need to read again & understand the meaning.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

We are going terribly off-topic here. Goobi, please stop feeding the troll! Let us just discuss Mac OS X.

What are your thoughts on the new Dock? Some people don't seem to like it. I love it.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

The new dock is good, but again some flaws.

The Apple menu has no way to disable the transparency, neither we can change the Text colour for Menubar from black to something else. Now, you might ask why we need to do this, well......put a dark colour wallpaper & you will see the problem of transparent Apple Menu like this.

*img515.imageshack.us/img515/4695/picture1fl7.png

Can you read the text?

There should be an option to completely disable the Transparency of Apple menu, & bring it to the current state of Tiger.

Live icons in dock is good, for images etc. But I liked the 2D dock of tiger more then Leopard Dock

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

changing the color of the text is a problem it cant be done in tiger also ... i had installed a theme but i was facing the same problem as that in ur screenshot so had to disable the theme :(

goobimama

 Macboy

I love everything about leopard. save for maybe the transparent menubar which may be a big 'hyearaa' (own word), but otherwise, I can't wait to get my hands on it...

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!

I hate pdf. They are HUGE and scrolling lags on large pdfs. xps is way better when it comes to size and scrolling.

Anyone knows how to change mouse pointer acceleration. I actually I want to disable acceleration. The developer must have put it because its useful when people use low sensitivity settings for mouse. But for very high sensitivity its bad.

goobimama

 Macboy

Here's a nice one I found:

In any Cocoa application on the Mac, hold Ctrl+Command+D and hover over any word. It automatically loads the definition. And move over to the next word to show that definition. I'm sure the macboys knew it, but just in case...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Although I am no longer using Mac here, but due to this. I might reinstall it. :D

El Jobso, this is what a Unified UI looks like. Now do Apple a favor & hire Stefanka.

Presenting Aqua Inspirit for Mac

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz

gr8 thread.....

mods are requested to make this sticky

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz

only thread that gives info on macs

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

well rakesh this thread doesnt have verbal fights .... yes some were there bt there was mutual understanding between all that we will leave this topic ;)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Come to think about it, where the is trio of salesmen these days. Did iPhone's debacle proved out to be this much heart breaking & fatal for them :D

Hey arya, Apple is soon coming with new iMac's. Comon, there are still many users here which you can brainwash for a computer in which they can't customise anything.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

goobimama said:
Here's a nice one I found:

In any Cocoa application on the Mac, hold Ctrl+Command+D and hover over any word. It automatically loads the definition. And move over to the next word to show that definition. I'm sure the macboys knew it, but just in case...
Changed it to 'Option + D' a long time ago, it is much more convenient and accessible that way. :D

@goobimama, smell closely. You'll surely pick up a familiar stink on this post. You know why... :(

Someone should post all the important news that happens in the "little kingdom" every week in this thread. It would help us get a peek at everythihng that happened at a glance. I need that right now because I'm not able to access the Internet regularly nowadays. :(

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

Hmm...Nice idea... Will 'try' and do something about it...

spironox

Booting Nicotine!!

Wohooo I Love This Thread Count Me In I Am A Mac Addict

ahemm i may sound a old and very febble to you guys but there is a slight problem errr .. when i brought my mac book g4 12" i had got some cds with it once i was done with the cd .. i kept it some where and sadly till date no clue to find it .. can anyone help me with getting a orginal cds for OS x Ver 10.3.09 also i need to ask how to upgrade to 10.4.xx as i am not sure how to do that ...

curse on the day i lost the cds

i live in India now can anyone help??

i know its hardware stuff but mac software discussion here is well read all around i guess

Last edited:
Top Bottom