The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

i didnt install any other language other than english :D .... besides blaze is amazing ... im loving it :D

look what i found:

Widget-to-Desktop 3.1

Widget-to-Desktop is an Automator action that allows you to run Dashboard widgets right on your desktop. Once installed, you move a widget around in Dashboard and hold the Dashboard htkey. It will spawn it on your desktop.

You can actually do this by entering a command in the Terminal, but Widget-to-Desktop makes it easy. Please read the manual before you begin using this app.

*www.macupdate.com/images/screens/uploaded/24561_sm.png

Download

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

Hey can Blaze burn multisession? Cause if yes, I'm getting it. After all Disco is practically useless with all the coasters created...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

goobimama said:
Why is toast a bloatware? Its just 150MB and serves the purpose of an all-round burning application (albeit, without the multisession DVDs which I do miss). Its nothing like nero's lineup of useless apps...
Ok, first of all, if you are "paying" for Nero 7 Ultra suite, then there is nothing better then it. You get a Multimedia player, a DVD Ripper, a CD/DVD Burner, an iPod/PSP Video converter, an Audio encoder, a sound editor, a CD Cover designer, a Photo Editor, a Photo viewer. Does Roxio provides all these for just $80? Nero Suite is much better then Roxio Suite.

If you get Nero through OEM, which is what most "legal" users get, then yeah....Nero Burning ROM or Nero Express is enough too...

If you are pirating, hell yeah it is bloat :D

Toast is bloatware, cos whatever that 150 MB Apps does, can be done in other apps which are not 150 MB even when combined.

(P.S. - Toast doesn't run here :D)

The DVD which I created in Disc Blaze in Mac is not Multisession. Since you just said even Roxio doesn't support Multisession DVDs, this automatically makes Nero the best CD Burning app out there.

I wonder what is the reason that Multisession DVDs only show the last first written track when used in Mac. Does Mac supports showing the content of Multisession DVDs? This is a question & a flaw which I pointed out in Windows Vista vs Mac OS X thread to which salesman never replied.

iMav

nah, I will pass. Yahoo Widgets rocks & kicks dashboard everywhere.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT

Nero Suite is much better then Roxio Suite.
Only in Terms of PRICE ;)

I dunno abt the Mac version of Roxio but Windows version does support Multi Session DVDs and CDs :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

I was wrong, Disk Blaze does supports multisession Disks.

*img140.imageshack.us/img140/5991/multisessionudfab0.jpg

goobimama

 Macboy

Multisession CDs is a different story. Even toast supports it. But Multisession DVDs I don't think so. There is one software which allows multisession on a DVD RW, but not a DVDR.

Anyway, it does not show the content of the "other sessions" in Finder. Although, I'm pretty sure I've heard something about it being able to mount each session as a separate disc...not sure though.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

goobimama said:
Multisession CDs is a different story. Even toast supports it. But Multisession DVDs I don't think so. There is one software which allows multisession on a DVD RW, but not a DVDR.
Nero (paid) or InfraRecorder (free) support Multisession DVDs. Obviously Nero is better :D

Anyway, it does not show the content of the "other sessions" in Finder.
Then its a flaw which Arya denied & never replied back. Now tell me goobi what should I conclude from this action of his

Although, I'm pretty sure I've heard something about it being able to mount each session as a separate disc...not sure though.
Plz let us know, I got many DVDs which are multisession

Ok, Mac has no support for showing multisession DVDs in Finder. But you can burn Multisession DVDs using BurnAgain DVD. I don't have a black DVD here right now so can't check.

To make disks using DiskBlaze so that it is the most compatible out there. Select UDF from the type & put your files in it. While "Burning Layout" (what a name :-?) Select "Leave Disk appendable". Then if you want to burn something to it again, just use BurnAgain DVD.

Or you can use the free Open source utility called Burn

P.S - The Genius Mac Salesman should start doing some research instead of using the OS at default. How the hell can u use that inconsistent UI & not like UNO

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

Then its a flaw which Arya denied & never replied back. Now tell me goobi what should I conclude from this action of his

He is no one to report to you or anyone.

Secondly, BurnAgain DVD is the app I was talking about which allows DVD RW burning.

Media:
- CDR, CDRW
- DVD+RW,DVD-RW

DVDR is still not supported for multisession burning.

I don't know what that thing was that allowed one to read multisession discs, but it mounted each session as a separate disc or something.

But it could also be that I'm wrong, and that OS X maybe only reads multisessions created by its mac software...

Last edited:

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner

Some important softwares you might need with OS X:

Some mac apps

While these aren't the only alternatives to specific applications, it should get you off to a good start. You might also like to try searching a software download site like MacUpdate or VersionTracker.

Instant Messaging
Adium X
Free and highly customisable, Adium X connects to many instant messaging services including: AOL IM (.Mac and ICQ), Jabber (GoogleTalk), MSN, Yahoo, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, LiveJournal, Novell Groupwise, QQ and Lotus Sametime. Overall, an excellent all in one solution.

IRC Client

X-Chat Aqua
Free open-source IRC client.

Colloquy
Another free IRC client for OS X.

DVD Ripping
HandBrake
Even after a 14 month hiatus, HandBrake remained one of the top choices for many Mac users when ripping DVDs. The project has recently started up again, now providing features like surround sound decoding, chapter markers and settings to rip your DVDs into AppleTV and iPod compatible videos.

MacTheRipper
This application is also quite popular. While it doesn't directly convert DVD movies into other formats, it copies content off a DVD after removing the copy protection to your hard disk. You can then burn the content to another DVD. Great for making back-ups of your movies.

Burning CDs and DVDs
Burn OS X
Open source application that can burn CDs and DVDs in many formats.

Toast
Not free, but a very popular and complete application to tend to all your disc burning needs.

Disco
Low cost application that can perform basic burning tasks.

Dragon Burn
Get the most out of your CD/DVD discs with Multi-Session support.

Backup Tools
SuperDuper!
A lot of your data is probably invaluable -- so even this application isn't free, it's a small price to pay for peace of mind. Don't be mad at yourself later -- always make backups!

Torrent Client
Transmission
From the people that brought you HandBrake, comes Transmission. Lightweight and easy to use, Transmission is definitely a great application to serve your torrent requirements.

Windows Media Player
VLC
VLC is an audio/video playing application that supports many formats including Windows Media Video.

Flip4Mac WMV Plug-in
The Flip4Mac WMV plug-in will actually allow you to play Windows Media Video files inside of QuickTime.

Windows Media Player
Microsoft Windows Media Player for Mac OS X.

FTP Client

Transmit
Transmit won an Apple Design award in 2005 for "Best use of Mac OS X Tiger Technologies". It's not free, but certainly an excellent application worth the small cost.

Interarchy
A very comprehensive collection of tools for uploading, downloading, editing and more.

CyberDuck
It's free and easily performs FTP functions.

Office
Office for mac
Not free, but from Microsoft themselves - and more likely to be immediately compatible with your various Office files.

Open Office
A project to make an open source suite of applications that are compatible with and offer similar functionality to Microsoft Office.

NeoOffice
A variant of OpenOffice.

iWork
Apple's offering. Currently only contains a word processor and slide show application. Best tool for creating presentations.

Editing Text

TextWrangler
Free application that, well... edits text. Useful for when you have a more advanced requirement than the OS X included "TextEdit" can handle.

TextMate
Not a cheap application, but a very advanced text editing tool.

Web Browser

Firefox
This application is slowly eating away at Internet Explorer's massive market share, which is sign that it is an excellent program. A nice, free alternative to the OS X included "Safari".

Camino
Another free alternative browser.

Compressing/Uncompressing Files

StuffIt Expander
Free and supports many file compression formats. This application only expands files.

StuffIt Standard/Deluxe
These applications can compress files in addition to uncompressing them.

The Unarchiver
Free and supports many compression formats. This application only expands files.

Run other OSes on your Mac
Parallels
Amazing virtualisation software for OS X that will not only run Windows -- it also runs all kinds of Linux distributions as well. With this software, you can run another operating system at the same time as you are in OS X.

Boot Camp
Apple's solution. This is a "dual-boot" solution, so you can only run one operating system at a time.

VMWare Fusion
Run Windows and other PC operating systems alongside Mac OS X -- safely and easily -- without the need to reboot your computer.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

goobimama said:
He is no one to report to you or anyone.
He has been spreading lies then from 8 months.

DVDR is still not supported for multi session burning.
I tried this, BurnAgain DVD this for me, I burned HP movie in another DVD with movies inside

I don't know what that thing was that allowed one to read multi session discs, but it mounted each session as a separate disc or something.
Plz recall. Doesn't this proves that Mac OS X by default has no support to show Multisession DVDs/CD

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Look at the poll, MacBook Pro is the sexiest Mac. My taste is awesome. :D

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

:Yawn....

Arya, you still have not replied to my Multisession DVD query, Goobi confirmed that Finder doesn't mounts multisession DVD, which is the same problem i had in the beginning of the Mac OS X bashing thread to which U said that me & iMav don't know how to use it.

Again, How do we see Multisession DVD in Mac OS X?

Another good application i found for Mac OS X is Service Scrubber. It is nothing like the Services Management console of Vista but does the job for Mac OS X which hardly has any service usable.

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

What is the problem with multisession DVDs? The different sessions just mount as separate items in the Finder.

But yeah, Toast and Roxio do not support burning multisession DVDs and it is very irritating. Why is it not supported? :mad:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

BurnAgain DVD lets you use your CDs almost like a harddisk. It simply adds files to CDR,CDRW and DVDRW media several times without creating multiple volumes and without erasing the disk.

If items already on the disk are burned again, BurnAgain DVD automatically evaluates the changes and adds only new or changed files to the disk. BurnAgain DVD allows to change the title of the disk at each burn, supports hiding of previously burned files, resolving of aliases and preserves all HFS specific attributes (resource forks) during burn.

Click Here

@gx u needed a backup utility will this help:

Carbon Copy Cloner... In its simplest form, CCC will clone one hard drive to another, copying every single block or file to create an exact replica of your source hard drive. This is very useful if, for example, your laptop is damaged and you must send it in for repair.

CCC can also be used to perform regular backups of your data. When you select a source disk in CCC, you are presented with the contents of that disk (hidden items too).

Click Here

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

SuperDuper! is awesome too.

But it isn't much use to you guys because you do not have a Mac and therefore, cannot boot from a drive connected to the computer via FireWire/USB.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Nah, I will pass CCC. I used Acronic True Image bootable CD to boot & make a sector by sector copy of Mac partition. It compressed to 2.2 GB tib file.

aryayush said:
But it isn't much use to you guys because you do not have a Mac and therefore, cannot boot from a drive connected to the computer via FireWire/USB.

HOLY F*** :D :ROFL: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Boy, go some reserch. USB Boot is supported since Intel 845G chipset which came in 2002 :D. We can boot from USB Pen drives, External HD, iPod, external CD/DVD drive etc :D

I am booting Slax Linux from my 1 GB Pen drive
You are such an.....a...aww...... i m so much trying to resist from breaking my pledge

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

What's the point in going mental about it? If it is possible, say so. :rolleyes:

How is it done though? I connected my external HDD via USB and pressed a lot of function keys together hoping to get some sort of boot menu but though I did get a boot menu, there was no option of booting from the HDD.

And even if it is possible, it would still be pretty much useless because the speed would be painfully slow without FireWire 800.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

I just couldn't control my laughter at such a stupid statement of yours.:D There is a reason I call u a salesman, & there is a reason i tell u to do some research.
How is it done though? I connected my external HDD via USB and pressed a lot of function keys together hoping to get some sort of boot menu but though I did get a boot menu, there was no option of booting from the HDD.

And even if it is possible, it would still be pretty much useless because the speed would be painfully slow without FireWire 800.

Don't know about Mac. In my PC, just while booting press F8 & it will show u all the drives connected & u can select which one to boot from.

Or Go to BIOS & select USB Boot : On

Firewire 800 is again licensed by Apple only. The standard out there is USB 2.0 on which all external HDs are based on. eSATA out there is even faster then USB/Firewire 800

Oh! did i forgot to mention that Asus, Sony all provide Firewire 800 in high end motherboards already cos Firewire in PC worls is useless compared to USB 2.0 & eSATA. To bad, Apple copied Sony's technology & was not even able to make it popular.

Eureka, just found this great application which Apple forgot to bundle. A Proper uninstaller for Mac OS X, AppCleaner. Just drag & drop your app which u want to uninstall whether u installed it using drag & drop or installer & it will detect & uninstall every file created using this software.

Perian 1.0 is also out today

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

Oh its a totally different trip gx.

You see, we can boot in target disk mode, which makes the ENTIRE MAC, an external drive. So, using a firewire cable, I can access my mac directly as an external drive.

That's not all. If say my mac is not booting for some reason, I can use plug it via firewire into another mac, and use it directly. I'm sure this is possible with the PC, but with the different configurations out there, its almost impossible to do this.

Isn't AppZapper like the best to do Uninstalling (which is a useless process I might add)

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

I am pretty sure we've mentioned AppZapper a lot of times on this forum.

Top Bottom