The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

goobimama said:
You see, we can boot in target disk mode, which makes the ENTIRE MAC, an external drive. So, using a firewire cable, I can access my mac directly as an external drive.

So, you can connect your Mac to another Mac using a Cable? Hmm...should I even reply to this? We can do this via a simple LAN Connection in Vista & PC BIOS (Boot to LAN)

From what I saw, AppZapper first makes as snapshot of your HD then when u install the stuff it notes down the changes. AppCleaner is something I found better as it scans without taking a snapshot first

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Who even cares how the software does it! I just know that AppZapper is more recommended in the Mac community and therefore, it is better.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

lolz.....just cos it is popular means it is better, gr8 logic :D

iPod is popular, is it better then Sansa or Creative or iRiver?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Yeah, because the Mac community is absolutely awesome when it comes to recommending software.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Ya, absolutely awsome when it comes to recomending Mac OS X :D (Software) which doesn't even works

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

lolz....public pwnage.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Seems like that Acronis Image I made was curropt. So I just used RsyncX to make an exect image of my Mac OS X partition on my external HD. 4 GB in size total, & I hope its not just my files but the whole OS itself.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

:Sigh:...now if only Apple would have licensed HFS+

This just in, that RSYncx image is not bootable & just bakced up my files not the whole OS. What the hell....salesman tell me something to make a complete OS backup, I tried disk utility but it ended up making a DMG, is that a complete Partition replica

Not much to add, just customised Adium. Although webcam or voice doesn't work & there is no file transfer, but still it is good enough for google talk at least. Here is how my Adium setup looks like, why don't u macboys show yours.

*img411.imageshack.us/img411/6744/adiumhx3.jpg

Those looking to export there audio files as mp3 can simply use LAME 3.97 Component for QuickTime.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

Should Quicktime pro do that? Also maybe VLC.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Nah, I checked, Quicktime Pro doesn't exports to mp3 at all. You need to have this component installed for QuickTime or all those application which use QuickTime API to save/export as mp3.

I also found a PDF Reader better then Preview for viewing PDF Files, its called Skim. Preview is good enough to see images, but thats it. For viewing PDF it sux. it can't even handle by 1400 Pages 3Ds Max 9 Bible PDF which skim shows fine.

Adobe Reader is 108 MB (read:blaot) & I can't even slim it. In Windows I can simply put the unused plugins etc in plugins_optional folder to disable them. No such luck or hardware accelerated PDF Viewing with Adobe PDF Reader in Mac.

VLC player & Toast crashes here for some reason beyond my understanding.

goobimama

 Macboy

I've had no problems using Preview. Works really fast (even when I had just 512MB of RAM) It works amazingly well and far superior to what I've seen on the PC...

I for one don't like to clog up my apps with too many of these things. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Skim seems to have too many features...where I'd rather use Adobe Acrobat...

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Skim hardly has any feature like Adobe Reader :eek:. It is more like Foxit PDF Reader on Windows. Preview is good for Images only from my point of view.

Something superior to Preview (for images) on WIndows : ACDSee Quickview :D

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

nope, iPhoto sux compared to ACDSee 9 for Vista.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Nothing beats Preview and its one size fits all approach. It handles whatever you throw at it. You can even edit and annotate PDFs. Awesome!

The biggest advantage of having such deeply integrated support for PDFs in the OS is that when you run a Spotlight search, it searches within the contents of PDF files. Fantastic!

And when you open a PDF file from the Spotlight results window, it highlights all occurrences of the search term. Attention to detail™! :D

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

The biggest advantage of having such deeply integrated support for PDFs in the OS is that when you run a Spotlight search, it searches within the contents of PDF files. Fantastic!

I guess someone doesn't know about Tagging PDF in Vista for instant search :-" :rolleyes:

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Yeah, it is the exact same thing, I am sure. :lol:

Top Bottom