The Official PlayStation2 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

raksrules

Youngling
today i went to Manish market and there i Was shown the latest one in white box. prices quoted across various shops Was between 6.5 k to 7k (cheaper than borivali). but the probability of getting conned in Manish market are very high and moreover no warranty of any kind is provided here. so finally should i buy from indraprasth, borivali ? should i bargain with the guy to give me the memory card too within the 7.5 k bracket?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
It's totally your call buddy.Usually the modded Playstation 2 sold at all locations are pretty stable & last for more than a year or two easily.Unless your luck is very bad & if the dealer has cheated you then perhaps you might be in for trouble.Apart from that doesn't matter much.If you want my advice go for the Indraprastha one as it's pretty near & convenient for you.Plus you can easily take it up to them if the console coughs up with any issues.

These people usually sign on each accessory that you purchase from them.Hence atleast it validates your purchase.They had even signed my free GOW 1 & 2 DVD stating if anything was wrong then I could replace that with another one.Though I didn't fancy much about the disc but I clearly mentioned if there was anything wrong with the actual console then they had it.;)

If I were you I wouldn't mind paying 500 bucks extra for getting it from a possibly genuine dealer.Then again that's just me.At the end it's your call & money.

@Krazzy: I believe I have got the correct GOW 2 DVD.Hopefully should be able to cross the Great Chasm level.Most of my friend's have got atleast 2-5 DVD's to no luck.Then I asked this shop guy who said he had got the similar issues but then it got replaced with this DVD.It mentions 100% on it's front cover.Did you try it out?

OP
krazzy

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Is it a pirated disc or genuine one? I have the pirated version. Reaching the great chasm in this one does not trigger the Icarus fight.

Btw how come you got GOW discs free with your console?

raksrules

Youngling
It's totally your call buddy.Usually the modded Playstation 2 sold at all locations are pretty stable & last for more than a year or two easily.Unless your luck is very bad & if the dealer has cheated you then perhaps you might be in for trouble.Apart from that doesn't matter much.If you want my advice go for the Indraprastha one as it's pretty near & convenient for you.Plus you can easily take it up to them if the console coughs up with any issues.

These people usually sign on each accessory that you purchase from them.Hence atleast it validates your purchase.They had even signed my free GOW 1 & 2 DVD stating if anything was wrong then I could replace that with another one.Though I didn't fancy much about the disc but I clearly mentioned if there was anything wrong with the actual console then they had it.;)

If I were you I wouldn't mind paying 500 bucks extra for getting it from a possibly genuine dealer.Then again that's just me.At the end it's your call & money.

@Krazzy: I believe I have got the correct GOW 2 DVD.Hopefully should be able to cross the Great Chasm level.Most of my friend's have got atleast 2-5 DVD's to no luck.Then I asked this shop guy who said he had got the similar issues but then it got replaced with this DVD.It mentions 100% on it's front cover.Did you try it out?

Hey the guy gave u free DVD(s) too with the PS2?
Also did u have to purchase the memory card separately or the (console + Dual shock controller + Memory Card + Game DVD) cost you 7.5 k. Because if you got the DVD and memory card at this price i too can bargain for the same. :D

Also what else apart from playing games, do you put your PS2's use to ?
Like in, have u installed any media players to play movies(Divx/Xvid) / songs from USB drives. Also whats the purpose of the USB port in the PS2?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
@Krazzy: Yep mine too is the *ahem* version but this disc is guaranteed to work on past The Great Chasm level.Apparently this used to be a glitch mainly because the game was originally a Dual Layer based DVD & at that particular level it would switch the layers & hence would have issues with *ahem* copies.I don't know how they got this disc but I have heard it works past that level.I got my free DVD eventually when I asked the guy to bundle both those DVD's.Paying 9k in total for the console & not giving atleast 2 DVD's would have been a total waste.So had to chuck the WWE choice & had to go with these 2 DVD's.:D

@Rak: The guy gave me only one DVD initially but then I just convinced him to give off 2 DVD's.It just took a bit of bargaining talk here & there but yeah finally got both the DVD's.I got the memory card & the additional controller separately for Rs.500 & Rs.1,000 respectively.

For the time being I purely use my PS2 for games & nothing else.I haven't tried out those PS2 reality media player/SMS Player which claims to play your Divx/Xvid files on your PS2.I am not too keen on it's Divx playback as I have a standalone Divx player which plays all the files just fine.;)

I just got hold of a huge stack of PS2 games from my friend & found it had ARMax disc in it.So might just try that once for loading some cheats.:D

The purpose for providing the 2 front USB ports is mainly for connectivity of basic USB devices like USB keyboard,Thumb drives,Portable HDD's,Sony's Eye Toy,USB Headset,Logitech GT Force gaming wheel etc.

OP
krazzy

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Do you still get pirated games at your place? Cause here in Alfa they've totally stopped selling the *ahem* versions. And the Planet M that has opened near my house not only sells original games but has very poor collection of only around 10 games at a time.

Btw the front USB ports can also be used with pen drives. In GTA4, for example there is a feature to take the purchased cars to scenic locations and then photograph them with the built-in camera function. These photographs can then be saved on pen drives as JPEG files and viewed on PC. It's a very cool feature.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Do you still get pirated games at your place? Cause here in Alfa they've totally stopped selling the *ahem* versions. And the Planet M that has opened near my house not only sells original games but has very poor collection of only around 10 games at a time.
Well most of them have stopped but a few stores still stock them.Pricing is high again & like you mentioned very few games choices.But I don't bother much as I have the internet now & that has a larger collection than these people.Plus I have a 2Mbps connection so won't be an issue.;)

on a side note,congo for you phone.:D

EDIT: Has anyone played Bully for the PS2? I started it yesterday & for some reason the frame rates seemed to be very poor.Is the game designed in such a way or is my copy crappy? The game is real fun but this bit just concerned me a bit.

Last edited:
OP
krazzy

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Well most of them have stopped but a few stores still stock them.Pricing is high again & like you mentioned very few games choices.But I don't bother much as I have the internet now & that has a larger collection than these people.Plus I have a 2Mbps connection so won't be an issue.;)

EDIT: Has anyone played Bully for the PS2? I started it yesterday & for some reason the frame rates seemed to be very poor.Is the game designed in such a way or is my copy crappy? The game is real fun but this bit just concerned me a bit.

PS2 games from the net? I didn't knew that PS2 games can be downloaded from the net too. Btw 2mbps is some serious speed.

Thanks! :)

I've played Bully but I don't remember any frame rate problems. But it was a long time ago, that I played, so even if it happened, I might've forgotten it.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Oh dam.Just crossed the Great Chasm & finally found Atlas.Boy this is one heck of a game.No wait it is next to a movie.The cut scenes are so brilliantly executed that it would most hollywood blockbusters fall to shame.Krazzy better get the working copy.This game just got better after this fight.I won't reveal too much spoilers but trust me after the Chasm part starts the real GOW2.:D

skippednote

M3TAL H3AD M3
People i wanna buy a playstation 2 so i wanted to know its price and that of modded one and which version should i opt for. Thanx in advance

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
The current price for a modded console is 7.5k depending on where you get it from.It can vary & go down upto 6k at some places.Go in for the latest SCPH-9006 series.The 7xxx series would do just fine as well.

Currently playing Batman Begins & Ratchet: Deadlocked.Both are complete fun.:D

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
i really hate to play GTA on PS2.
i played GTA LCS, & damn its kinda irritating to control "tony" (player) & the auto aim suks billion arse:x:|, rapid key tapping to lock onto other ai noob, & lots of other crap control.

dunno how gta sells so much on consoles:?

GTA is for sure a 100% PC game, Sony & MS own R*.

lame R*:x

---------------------------

simply loved GOW2 :))

hope sony goes into HUGE loss, so that they sell GOW series on PC too:)), it'll be hell lot difficult on pc tho. :twisted:

----------------
NFS Carbon sucked on ps2, i kno the game sucks, but PS2 ver. suks more coz of the loooooooooong load time:|

justintime90120

Right off the assembly line

The ps2 games downloaded from the net do they have to be region specific
coz my ps2 SCPH 9006 CBis not modded and plays only NTSC disc

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Most of the games are region coded & if your PS2 isn't modded then it won't play any games downloaded from the internet let alone play PAL region DVD's.

cooldudie3

Boom Boom Boom
Of course your PS2 is collecting dust! Man, the time now is for Playstation 3 with HD gameplay and Blue-ray Disc entertainment!
Think about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom