the Official Intel Core ix thread for desktops and laptops

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Re: The Official Core i7 (Intel's nehalem) Thread

^^ agreed totally, even though im a die hard nVIDIA fan still tat 30K is not justifiable.. :(

i can tcomment on tat issue but amitash has a gts295 monster so maybe he can come and answer here y he needs tat much power ofa gpu.. lol..

also, the minimum and desired psu power required fora single gtx295 (or gtx 280, gtx285) for tat matter is a 650-750W psu (of a good company that is) say tagan or corsair.. :D

amitash

Intel OCer

^of course it has no value for money...i bought i because:
1. I got it for 25k (around 25-26 not really sure)
2.At that time, the next best thing available was gtx285 for 24k, and then gtx280 for 22k, or the hd4870 which was also 19k.
3.I had the budget for it since i saved alot on RAM and cpu and mobo cus i got it from the US...i paid only around 36k for that...had a budget of 75k for upgrade.
4.i was getting th best of everything anyway...so y not gfx too?

official

In the zone

guys do you think there will be any difference in framerates gtx275 vs gtx295 while playing intensive games like modern warfare 2 suppose..at 1920x1080 via hdmi port with 8x antialiasing???
amitash did you try out gta4 at highest settings in your monster????wats your monitor??
i know i ask a whole lot of questions..but im also planning to get a new 24''lcd with hdmi
if i can get no significant difference between gtx275 and gtx295..ill invest in that.;)

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

i guess there is NOT much of a frame rate difference..I hv gtx280 1GB DDR3 gpu and i play crysis and crysis warhead witha reso of 1920 x 1080 and settings at max and i see no frame rate drop (as crysis and warhead are the 2 benchmark games and also farcry 2 for its stunning foliage and beautiful lush green africa settings)

dnt worry, a normal human eye can see full smoothness at jus 30-33 frames per sec, so a normal frame drop say 10-15 frames drop while having a constant fps at 170-180 will not make much of a difference, believe me,

i knw ppl tend to be paranoid for jus 2-3 frames but it will not make the slightest of difference.. :)

and also, u are there to enjoy the game, its graphics and its smoothness and NOT to jus sit there shooting bad guys/aliens with one eye and then also keeping a track at frame rates with the oter eye.... wat say?? lol.. :)

a 22" fullHD ora 24" fullHD lcd wud suit ur cause, but u tis better to hv a good gpu than having a good LCD.. i mean 1st comes the gpu and then a 22+ inch LCD.. (with 22" being the norm these days)... :)

=======================
--------------------------------
=======================

my rig update: well tonite as i was posting this reply here, 3 of my cabinet's fans stopped functioning, i swallowed deep..fearing for the worst..lol.. if the 3 fans (one rear, one side and one LED top) were all gone kaput all of a sudden).>??

then checked the connections and the connectors and restarted the system and everything was fine as normal, now i wanna ask is this---- > is it true tat the mobo knows all by itself wich fans to shud down completely if its not required..?? is there any feature tat the mobo does this aut0omatically.. ??? :confused:

or was it a silver lightening from the dark clouds..?? (tat i shud get worried).>?? :confused:

the 2 other fans (2nd top LED fan and the cpu stock cooler fans were working wen the other 3 fans shutted down all by itself..) the mobo was showing temp of 50 deg Celcius and the gpu temp was 60 deg C (measured by me using riva tuner) and yes, the gpu fan was also working on the gpu .. lol..
----------
Cheers n e-peace....

Last edited:

official

In the zone

few of my last questions before i go to order my i7 rig
1. can msi x58 PRO E handle gtx295
2. is gtx295 good choice as birthday present:)
any gfx (non ATI even if they are dx11..i dont care ) that should be honourable mention,
that can run all games at rapid pace 1920x1200 reso with eye candy (atleast 3 yrs..not upgrading b4 tat).

3.Out of 5 how would you rate MSIx58PROE vs Gigabyte GAEX58UD5 mobo.
4.A good monitor with 1920x1080 reso with great refresh rate and HD(hdmi port) & budget friendly.
4.I know i am demanding a lot but last but not the least
''my uncle thinks his nvidia 7200gs can win over gtx295 hands down''....??? ny one can solve this??? he collects all sorts of junks..has an avid collection of pc antics (shall upload the pics wen im done wit my rig)...lots of homie lov..

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

hmm.. so u still awake..lol.i knw the core i7 mania keeps us all awake..

1.) yup it can handle gtx295 ofcourse it can.. (cant say abt SLi setup i.e 2 x gtx295 or any gpu for that matter)

MSi has released this motherboard with careful understanding and nice thinking...

2.) gtx295 as a b'day present, well it all sepends, most boys want their gf's to be with them but for me i want my tech toys and especially my core i7 rig with me all the time..lol..:D:D on a serious note, "if u hv the cash to blow, then gtx295 is for u bro" as of now, gtx295 pawns all other cards (not talking abt a single gtx295 vs SLi, please).. :D

3.) MSi ---> 3.5 and UD5 ---> 4 (based on stability of gigabyte mobos, less failure rate and its price to performance ratio).. i knw the MSi X58 was badly criticised way back wen it was released but this new mobo from MSi looks promising, but if u were to ask me abt mobo, then i wud tell u go for UD5.. :) (u are not into OCing are u..??)

4.) Samsung 2233SW at Rs.10.2K is a fullHD (1920 x 1080) LCD but its NOT with HDMI..
other options wud be these:
(b.) viewsonic vx2433wm 24" @ Rs. 13,000
(c.) BenQ E2200 HD

5.) 7200gs vs. gtx295..?? lol. its like comparing Indian Football team with Brazil... i mena naa, nothing comes close to beating the gtx295, so tell ur uncle (will all respect from my side too..) that he is better off with collecting PC antiqes.. :D:D
--------

Cheers n e-peace...

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

@official, I would rather go for GTX275 for 14k and get xbox360 or ps3 slim for 15k-20k and that would be much more VFM as I will be able to play lot of exclusive titles that never reach PCs market.

official

In the zone

thanks ashu and desii....u both are correct in the best possible way.
its time for me to consider both of your suggestions..
i'll post when im done with. Till then peace.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

all the very best for ur purchases... :D
--------

btw, to all guys here: ---> my rig update: well tonite as i was posting this reply here, 3 of my cabinet's fans stopped functioning, i swallowed deep..fearing for the worst..lol.. if the 3 fans (one rear, one side and one LED top) were all gone kaput all of a sudden).>??

then checked the connections and the connectors and restarted the system and everything was fine as normal,

now i wanna ask is this---- > is it true tat the mobo knows all by itself wich fans to shud down completely if its not required..?? is there any feature tat the mobo does this aut0omatically.. ???:confused:

or was it a silver lightening from the dark clouds..?? (tat i shud get worried).>?? :confused:

the 2 other fans (2nd top LED fan and the cpu stock cooler fans were working wen the other 3 fans shutted down all by itself..) the mobo was showing temp of 50 deg Celcius and the gpu temp was 60 deg C (measured by me using riva tuner) and yes, the gpu fan was also working on the gpu .. lol..
----------
Cheers n e-peace....

Dant3

Right off the assembly line

Hi guys,
I'm new here and not entirely sure whether this is the place to be posting this,if not,please drop in a word and I'll gladly remove it.

I'm also,a total ignoramus when it comes to understanding computer hardware.It is because of this reason that I join this forum.My immediate problem being the fact that I need to buy a comp at the earliest since my work has been put on hold.But having bought my last computer years ago..which was a P4,I really am not very aware of the hardware situation in the market now..processors,mobo's etc.

I'd be very grateful if you guys could advice me as to what a good config would be at the moment.My budget is roughly 50k for just the CPU.I don't require a very high-end graphic card.A simple 1 GB card will suffice...(if it lets games like COD6 run when it releases in November this year...YIPPEEE!)Other than that,I'd want to certainly have a mobo that supports atleast 4-6gb DDR3 Ram and if my budget permits,an i7 processor...else whatever is second best.

Thanks a tonne in advance,
Dante!

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

welcome to the forum dude..i hope u are the same dude tat buzzed me on my yahoo msngr,, is it..?? :) anyhow welcome here again..

so if u want a config for jus the CPU (proc+mobo+RAM+PSU+GPU) here u go...

Processor -------> Core i7 920 (2.66Ghz stock speed) ------------------------> Rs.15K
Motherboard ---> Gigabyte UD5 -------------------------------------------------> Rs.16K
RAM ------------> Corsair (TR3X3G1333C9 [FONT=&quot](3 X 1 GB DDR3 1333MhZ) -----> Rs. 4.9K[/FONT]
PSU -------------> Corsair 55W (model: VX550) --------------------------------> Rs. 5.8K
GPU -------------> ATi 4830 (512MB DDR3) -------------------------------------> Rs.7.5k

Total: 49.2K

But a cabinet is a must, so go for Coolermaster CM690 cabinet -----------> Rs.4.2k

Grand total: 53.4K
----------
but let others comment on this list tat i hv created and then see wat happens, btw u are into animation right..?? hmm.. so lets see wat others hv to say...(i hv jus made this list keeping the budget in mind) :)
----------

Cheers n e-peace....

Last edited:

Dant3

Hey Ashu..

Yes it is me!
Overcame laziness to finally sit through the registering process today.:p
Hope you're good,thanks for the wc. :)

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

Congrats on joining the forum dude, yup i knw registration (for sum) find it abit lazy..lol..

neways i hv posted ur config, lets see wat others hv to say abt it.. :) (as i said above, i hv just knetp ur budget in mind)..... :)

Cheers n e-peace....

amitash

Intel OCer

@Dant3: dpont go for i7 with your budget....go for a phenom 2 965 BE, and a cheaper motherboard and alot of DDR2 RAM...and a much better card!

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

he specifically wants ffr3 RAM , amitash.. :)

btw, i think the next best thing for him to go for wud be a core 2 quad based system... wat u say..?? :)
------------

Cheers n e-peace...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

core 2 quads ie 9550 & 9650 OCs much better than phenom II 965 be which ocs around 3.8ghz only

IMO : :p

If anyone wants to go with AM3 procs then they should go with mobo which supports DDR3 rams.

If anyone wants to go with c2qs then they should opt for DDR2 1066 rams.

Last edited:

Dant3

Hey Amitash,TopGear and Ashu,

Firstly thank you all for your prompt responses and advice.
The only reason I am more keen on getting the latest stuff..for eg DDR 3 and not DDR2 is because I know how expensive outdated components tend to get.
This might seem a trivial thing but I intend to use this machine at least for a couple of years so, was thinking of getting the latest stuff as far as my budget permits.I don't really understand much of hardware combinations so I'm open to getting an older part if you guys see more sense in doing that.

Amitash,I went through the review of that processor and it seems super nice..I'll be looking into that.

hehe...Topgear,what you said has mostly gone way above my head so I'm going to clarify...what I basically understood is Intel Proc = DDR 2 and DDR3 for AMD Procs?Has it got something to do with compatibility or performance?

Thanks again..looking forward to hearing from you guys soon..!
Dante

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

^^then why not wait for release of core i5 which is cheaper than i7. P55 boards are already available and September 8th is rumored date for core i5 and i3 release.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

yaa i agree to desii... :)

its better to wait for i5 and i3 and see wat the prices will be on their launch... yup its sensible as there is not much time left for their launch slated for 8th sept, 09.. :)

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

============

Ok guys, im here with my own set of querries now..

i need a CPU cooler for my i7 proccy...

i hv these in mind:

1.) Coolermaster V8 ---> *in.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?language=in&act=detail&tbcate=2238&id=5290
or
*www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2314&page=1
(i find the V8 really good with their reviews with 8 Heat pipes (i think its the max) for any cpu cooler)..

I am much more inclined towards V8..but if the TRUE is better than V8, then i will hv no problem changing sides... :)

2.) Coolermaster Hyper 212 ----> *in.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?language=in&act=detail&tbcate=2238&id=4151

3.) Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus ----> *in.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?language=in&act=detail&tbcate=2238&id=6736

4.) or shud i go with TRUE 120.. ???

5.) Even ASUS triton 88 is good, i mean gr8.. (but i dnt think its available in INDIA rite now..)

Im all confused guys...:confused:

so tell me wich to go for, (i already hv 5 fans) in my cabinet),
2x120mm LED top,
1x120mm LED front (Stock CM690 fan),
1x120mm rear (Stock CM690 fan),
1x120mm side (Stock CM690 fan)
-----------

I jus dnt like the performance of the stock intel cooler, to say the least it $uck$ big time...

----------

Cheers n e-peace.....