the Official Intel Core ix thread for desktops and laptops

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Re: The Official Core i7 (Intel's nehalem) Thread

^^

lol.. sorry for my miscalculations in reading the screenshots.. tat overclocking is MAssive... 6 ghz.. ??? wats the stock speed of 955 BE.. ??? and is it ur system or u got the results from net.. ??
---------

Cheers n e-peace...

darklord

Cyborg Agent

Hehe, no issues.

Stock speed of 955 BE is 3.2GHz

Those are my results,

AMD Phenom II X2 550 + Gigabyte 790FXT UD5P + LN2 = 6.1GHz

AMD Phenom II 955 BE + Asus M4A79T Deluxe go sub zero !

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ Nice score on Phenom II X4 955BE & X2 550 :p

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

yeah..lol..

it beats i7's @$$ really good.. :D:D .. oops..lol..

so, darklord: did u use ur OCed rig for anything or jus a testing of OC.. ??? (and u back at stock speeds again..) ..???
------------

Cheers n e-peace....

darklord

Cyborg Agent

^^

yeah..lol..

it beats i7's @$$ really good.. :D:D .. oops..lol..

so, darklord: did u use ur OCed rig for anything or jus a testing of OC.. ??? (and u back at stock speeds again..) ..???
------------

Cheers n e-peace....

One can use LN2/DICE for a short while only. You cant use it permanently.So yes, I did benching and put the hardware to rest till the next round :)

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

and plz tell me in simpler words wat are LN2/DICE. .?? AMD terms..?? is it..??

but its really good to see tat AMD clocks like a killer..lol..

at 6 Ghz and 4 Ghz wat were the core (processor) temps (air).. ??

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

LN2: Liquid Nitrogen. (remeber Terminator2?). LN2 can take the temperature down to -150 to -200 and liquid helium can take temperature to absolute zero (-256 I think is absolute zero)

DICE: short term for Dry Ice which is solidified Carbon dioxide. it takes much much longer to melt when compared to normal ice.

darklord

Cyborg Agent

LN2 = Liquid Nitrogen. Temp is -197C. Cant exactly say what was the temp during benching as I still havent recd. my thermometer.

DICE - Dry Ice. While benching, pieces of Dry Ice and mixed with either Acetone or Ethyl Alcohol, This results in temps dropping to as low as -70C but not below that.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

@ desii thanx for those jargon.. :D

@ darklord... so tell me how u go about using liquid cooling in ur rig..?? any step by step procedure..?? any links.. ?? plz...

official

In the zone

Guys can you please explain wats TDP???
Is it that i7 cpu uses more power or wattage in contrast to Core2quad???

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

here u go ---> *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_design_power

also, see this list for TDP of core i7 processors ---> *xtreview.com/review232.htm

and core 2quads tdp = 65W whereas corei7's tdp = 130W :)
----------

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ Newer AMD phenom II quads only uses 95W-65W & Duals 65-45W. Is not that great :p

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

^^nope. Phenom II X4 965 reached 140W and 945, 955 BE are at 125W. Athlon II X4 energy saving edition have 45W and mainstream ones have 95W TDP.

Given the max limit of 145W power on AM2+ and am3 boards, it will be interesting to see what AMD will do with Phenom II. 965 has come dangerously close the the threshold.

official

In the zone

Does that mean i7 uses more power to perform like q9550 which has much less tdp??

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

^^enable core i7's turbo mode and your electricity meter will run like Vishnu Chakra.

darklord

Cyborg Agent

@ desii thanx for those jargon.. :D

@ darklord... so tell me how u go about using liquid cooling in ur rig..?? any step by step procedure..?? any links.. ?? plz...

I dont use water cooling for my Main PC at home. I have a very simple setup for my Home PC,

Intel C2D E8600 @ 4GHz on stock cooler
DFI DK P45 T2RS Plus Motherboard
Crucial DDR2 800 2GB x 2
Corsair VX450 PSU
Galaxy Tech Nvidia 9800GT
Chieftec LBX Full tower chassis

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^enable core i7's turbo mode and your electricity meter will run like Vishnu Chakra.
lol..

but tell me how can that turbo mode be enabled and is ther any performance gain or anything of tat sort.. ??
----------

@ darklord thanx for the update.. :)

@ topgear: u at AMD again.. ?? lol...

darklord

Cyborg Agent

lol..

but tell me how can that turbo mode be enabled and is ther any performance gain or anything of tat sort.. ??
----------

@ darklord thanx for the update.. :)

@ topgear: u at AMD again.. ?? lol...

When you enable Turbo mode from the BIOS, whenever your temperature are within safe limit and you start a cpu intensive task then the multiplier is increased automatically, hence giving slight boost in performance.

This feature is strictly dependant on your CPU temperatures i guess. You have no control over it basically. Correct me if I am wrong.

amitash

Intel OCer

^nice to see u again darky...and amazing results btw...when are u going to do the i7's?

Anyway, about turbo mode, it doesnt depend on your temp....if u leave it enabled, multiplier will be increased by 1...ie 21 from 20 in i7 920 and 940...therefore giving u a small Mhz boost...like 2.8ghz from stock 2.66 in i7-920...

As for power management, it can easily be controlled thx to intel speedstep...if u enable this in the bios, your cpu automatically decreases multiplier to 15-16, or maybe lower sometimes to save power when its not under load....

BTW @desi, can liquid HE actually take temp to -256 ie absolute temp? I dont think so because absolute temp is theoretical and hasnt and prolly can never be achieved

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^ thanx amitash..

btw.. can u giv me links for Safe OCing the i7 920.. ?? actually 1st i wanna get a basic knowledge abt the tech jargon on OCing then will go on to do the actual OCing.. :)

also, so it means tat as the multiplier increases the Mhz rating also increases.. ?? and plz tell me for a single increase in Multiplier, how much the Mhz value increases.. ??

I mean it wud be better if u can giv me links (from the sites u did ur OCing).. :)

Cheers n e-peace....

Top Bottom