the Official Intel Core ix thread for desktops and laptops

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Re: The Official Core i7 (Intel's nehalem) Thread

how about CoolerMaster V10?

if you can manage to find Noctua NH-U12P SE, get it as this one and Thermaltake TRUE easily beat Coolermaster V10.

also heard that Megahalem is the best one for core i7.

Last edited:
OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^
V10.. u mean like this ---> *www.erodov.com/forums/ultimate-cooler-core-i7-phenom-ii/17442.html

lol. then i'll hv to sacrifice my ram slots..lol... naa its a big no no for me.. :D

yup, u are right abt Megahalems... (i dnt think they are available in Mumbai or even in India) :( the same case is with Asus Triton 88

btw i found this for Coolermaster V8 cooler---> *forum.coolermaster.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11431
see the pic at the end of the page :)
(was wondering if a V8 wud fit in the cm690 case) so it fits.. :) also, there is no problem of the large Evga X58 mobo's NB heatsink..the V8 is rg8 there too..

hmm... now tell me V8 or TRUE.. ?? i knw many ppl are inclined towards TRUE, im like 50-50 b/w V8 and true.. :confused:

------

Cheers n e-peace...

amitash

Intel OCer

^Megahalem is a really good choice...found it here: *www.lynx-india.com/beta/index.php?productID=6058

Also if it doesnt include a fan, add 2 for a push-pull system...will give u awesome perf.....If not, get a TRUE, but i dont know if the bracket for lga1366 is available.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

thanx for tat search for me amitash.. :)

will see if i can get tat meghalem in Mumbai, will post on 4th, friday..as tomo there's ganesh visarjan (here all over maharashtra)... so it will be a day off for the dealers.. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Hey Amitash,TopGear and Ashu,

Firstly thank you all for your prompt responses and advice.
The only reason I am more keen on getting the latest stuff..for eg DDR 3 and not DDR2 is because I know how expensive outdated components tend to get.
This might seem a trivial thing but I intend to use this machine at least for a couple of years so, was thinking of getting the latest stuff as far as my budget permits.I don't really understand much of hardware combinations so I'm open to getting an older part if you guys see more sense in doing that.

Amitash,I went through the review of that processor and it seems super nice..I'll be looking into that.

hehe...Topgear,what you said has mostly gone way above my head so I'm going to clarify...what I basically understood is Intel Proc = DDR 2 and DDR3 for AMD Procs?Has it got something to do with compatibility or performance?

Thanks again..looking forward to hearing from you guys soon..!
Dante

I mean intel core 2 duo & core 2 quads don't scale as expected well with DDR3 mems as have no IMC built into proc. It's mem controlller is in the NB chipset which speed is limited by FSB.

So if you want to go with DDR3 & intel proc then you should go with core i7 or core i5 :p

But if you are going with AMDs AM3 cpu then you should get DDR3 mem based mobo coz it's mem bandwidth will be greater as AMD procs has built in IMC than DDR2 based AMD rig & DDR3 based intel core 2 duo & core 2 quad series

but core i7 & may be core i5 with their very nice & optimized IMC can beat
any AM3 & CD C2Q procs :p

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

ok, so i enquired abt the CPU coolers (Air, ofcourse)...

the prices were as follows (quoted by my dealer):

Coolermaster v8 ------------> Rs. 5500/-
Coolermaster 212 plus ------> Rs. 2500/-
TRUE 120 ------------------> Rs. 3000/-
TRUE 120 (BLACK) ----------> RS. 4000/-

So, wich is better now..?? :confused:

TRUE120 or TRUE120 Black or V8.. ??? tell me so tat i can order the purchases today itself. :)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

given that TRUE 120 is 2.5k cheaper and also beats V8, I would definitely go for it.

btw, remember that the base is not entirely flat and some achieved much much better cooling by lapping it and adding extra fan.

amitash

Intel OCer

actually the TRUE 120 wont work out...It doesnt fit into the lga1366 bracket, so u need to buy a socket clamp which might not be available and cost atleast 300 more, and 2 fans at atleast 200-400 more

btw @official: yes i played gta4 all maxed out and view distance was a very very bg number...worked amazingly...also for the performance that im getting, see my review here: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112660

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

@ desii : yup totally agreed tat under all scenarios, TRUE120 beats V8..

@ amitash : my dealer told me tat the TRUE120 Extreme and also the TRUE120 EXTREME BLACK (the newly launched) are both for lga 1366 socket... so i guess that the company (might) hv added hardware to be able to fit the TRUE120 Extreme onto the core i7.. ?? right.>?? :confused: any news can u shed on this dude..??

or is it that the TRUE120 Extreme still comes without the lga1366 brackets and i hv to do any alterations to it... :confused:
--------

i hv also asked my dealer to tell me the availability of prolimatech's Meghalem coolers... :)

----------

Cheers n e-peace...

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

Yes. the new one is called TRUE 120 Extreme LGA1366.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

thanx for the update desii

btw, nice avtaar.. (cheerleaders..??) is it.. ??:D

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ Try SBCCF ( sunbeamtech core contact freezer ) 120 mm. It may be Rs. 2.5K & one hell ol of a very good cooler :p. BTW, you need to buy a LGA1366 bracket for this one.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

@ topgear: thanx for that, but its not available here.. :)

@ desii: thanx for the update..
----------

Ok guys, today, i hv put my i7 rig under stress testing using PRIME96... the test was started at 14.30 hrs and the readme of prime96 says that the test must me done for a minimum of 6 hrs anda max of upto 24 hrs... so will i hv to manually shut/close the program after the 6 hrs period is over (say at 20.00 hrs).. ?? or wat.. ?? :confused:

----------

Cheers n e-peace...

amitash

Intel OCer

^The TRUE for lga1366 is called the TRUE 1366RT...and its not available here afaik...

as for prime, its totally up to you....yes u will manually have to close it after 20hrs...dont leave it on past that....if u want to chek system stability, then 4-6hrs on blend and another 4hrs on small FFT's without a crash or error means ur system is completely stable

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

ooh thanx for letting me knw the exact name of TRUE120 cooler, i will see to it wat kinda cooler the dealer is giving me... :)

and yes, today, after running prime BLEND test for 4.5 hrs, i stopped it manually.. all results and tests were positive with 0 errors and 0 warnings.. :)

darklord

Cyborg Agent

Who says Phenom II doesnt clock well :twisted:

AMD Phenom II 955 BE

AIR
*www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/41722_5dvfq/4G_Pi.jpg *www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/45721_wwl2o/4G_Pi_32M.jpg *www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/45722_seg9g/4G_wprime1042M.jpg

LN2
*www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/41794_umftm/1m.jpg *www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/41795_c2txq/32m.jpg *www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/41796_unz1a/1024m%2C%2032m.jpg

AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE

AIR
*www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/45723_fzvqb/Clipboard08.jpg

LN2
*www.imgx.org/pthumbs/small/18734/1m.jpg *www.imgx.org/pthumbs/small/18735/32m.jpg *www.imgx.org/pthumbs/small/18739/wprime%201024.jpg

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

@ topgear, thanx will check those out at lynx

@ Dark Lord: aah.. so it overclocks well enough... thanx for the screenies... :)

Top Bottom