the Official Intel Core ix thread for desktops and laptops

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Re: The Official Core i7 (Intel's nehalem) Thread

For Nehalem,

Especially in the case of 920,
the base clock is 133 and multiplier is 20x hence the stock speed of 2.66MHz.

So the multiplier is directly related to the clock speed so changing it will change the cpu clock speed.

Nehalem clocking isnt that simple though, there is NB freuquency that is the speed at which the IMC works and that makes things a bit tricky.

Although I have had corei7 for some time now, its my friend who is benching it more than me so not in a very good position to point out the fine points of nehalem clocking.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^nope. Phenom II X4 965 reached 140W and 945, 955 BE are at 125W. Athlon II X4 energy saving edition have 45W and mainstream ones have 95W TDP.

Given the max limit of 145W power on AM2+ and am3 boards, it will be interesting to see what AMD will do with Phenom II. 965 has come dangerously close the the threshold.

Yup, Phenom II X4 945 and 955 has a TDP of 125W but 965 has TDP of 140W.

AMD Desktop Processor Chart :p
*products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUResult.aspx

vikrant333

Owner of Core i7

my hdd fails of core i7 system
now i send it for change
should i made backup for my data ?
bcoz someone told me that higher capacity hdd corrupt very often..........

darklord

Cyborg Agent

my hdd fails of core i7 system
now i send it for change
should i made backup for my data ?
bcoz someone told me that higher capacity hdd corrupt very often..........

What did you do to render your HDD dead ? I am using WD 1TB drives and that board for some time and there seem to be no problems whatsoever:?

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

@ vikrant

is tat WD hdd of urs a Caviar green or a caviar blue ..??

yup, i wud also like to knw wat did u do tat made ur HDD non functional.. ?? did u play with the jumper settings..??

Shadowfax2009

Wandering around
New i7 Problem Please help...going nuts

Hi all guys

I made my i7 system (Details are in my signature)5 days back. Important components are
1. Proccy: I7 920 D0
2. MoBo: DFI Lanparty UT X58 - T3EH8
3. RAM: OCZ DDR3 PC3-14400 800MHz DDR3 / CL 8-8-8-26 / 1.65 Volts
4. Bios: 7/24 beta: fixed Windows 7 CPU ratio issue.
5. OS: Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (X 64): Downloaded from MSDN (30 days evaluation) (Had vista 32).

Started everything at auto settings (didn’t touch the bios settings)…loaded windows 7 …..load went smoothly…… OS showed running stable 3-4 hours.

But memory shows
Memory: 6 GB RAM (2Gb Usable)
So, searched the net, found that the problem is common (took a deep relaxing breath).. and started doing the following.

1.CMOS reset (EZ reset in DFI) -- Nothing, POST showing 2044*** mb of RAM (Couldn’t remember the exact value, sorry)

2.Flashed the bios by bootable thumb drive method to most recent bios available -- bios update was successful but still detects only 2GB of RAM at POST.

3.Downloaded cpuZ: Detects 6GB of RAM and shows everything correctly.

4.Went to bios>Genie bios>voltage settings> Gradually increased DRAM Bus voltage and CPU VTT Voltage in sequential order (difference always less than 0.5) POSTing with every change in DRAM or CPU VTT.

Range tested:--------DRAM bus------------CPU VTT
Default.....................1.560------------------1.21
Final.........................1.650............... ........1.32

In all the post only 2GB was detected…. But OS was running without a hitch. Though some forums have increased DRAM to 1.7 and CPUVTT to 1.4, I suspected that I might need to RMA something or other and so was not willing to test over the prescribed safe limit.

5.Went to bios and changed the RAM timings manually to advertised values of 8 8 8 26. -- Still 2GB. (CPUZ / MEMSET detects 6GB with 8 8 8 26).

6.(Now was getting panicky again)…According DFI forum posts tried with DRAM PWM (reduce 15/ increase 15%) and VTT PWM (reduce 15/ increase 15%) -- Still 2GB

7. Started windows 7 memory diagnostics (Didn’t have memtest iso then) -- No error in memory in full test 5 runs

8. Started RAM slot musical chair test: (labeled RAM sticks as A, B, C and slots as 2,4,6 with slots 1,3,5 never being used and also with DRAM Bus 1.65/VTT 1.32/ Timings Auto)

Results:
Single stick: A/B/C in 2/ 4/ 6 (All possible single stick configuration) -- POST error
CF (Memory incompatible/DRAM voltage
unsatisfactory)

Triple channel:--------ABC -- 2 Gb,----ACB -- 2 Gb
--------------------------BCA -- 4 GB,----BCA -- 4 Gb
--------------------------CBA -- 4 GB,----CAB -- 4 Gb

All POSTed, but during the POST the screen would show 180*** memory for a fraction of a sec and then the value will change to 402***(4GB). So I decided to keep CAB configuration but after POST showed bootsector corrupted and couldn’t run win 7, nor could it run windows memory test (would freeze). Couldn’t even do a load windows from DVD (would freeze). Immediately went to bios and did optimized defaults but wouldn’t boot/ run from DVD.

There I am …… pretty confused and panicked. Since the memory control in i7 – X58 is dependent on processor/ mobo / Ram so I am lost as to where to begin.

To all u wizards
1. What should I do next? (I DON’T CURRENTLY have access to another pair of ddr3 RAM nor another X 58 mobo, but I am trying to arrange.)
2. What is wrong? RAM or MOBO?

3. Is there any one in Delhi (I am at AIIMS) who has a i7 system where I can test my RAM.....plz plz plz

Any help will be lifesaving. Thank you all for reading the long post but I didn’t want someone to tell me VTT/DRAM stuff again.

PS: I will be posting the same thing at the OCZ forum so interested persons check out progress there.

I can also post images of bios/ motherboard cpu pins if anyone needs.
Motherboard: DFI UT X58-T3EH8
Bios: 7/24 beta
RAM: OCZ DDR3 PC3-14400 800MHz DDR3 / CL 8-8-8-26 / 1.65 Volts
Gfx: Zotac 275GT (AMP)
Power: Corsair TX 850
Hard Drive: WD Cavier Green 1tb
UPS: APC 1000kVa Smart
Cabinet: NZXT Lexa Blackline
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
DFI forum link

*csd.dficlub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11241

Last edited:
OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Re: New i7 Problem Please help...going nuts

hmmm.. it looks abit freaky to me as well..lol.. (naa, not trying to discourage or get u more panicked..)

but, 1st of all, it wud hv been better if u posted the thread in the Official core i7 thread here ---> *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110397

but not much of a big issue here (as i hv already reported to mods to mearge this thread with the one above)..

now, getting back to ur problem..
=====================

so this is ur mobo right ..?? ---> *www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x58-motherboard-i7,2164-4.html

now if i were u, :)

instead of worrying y win7 is detecting jus 2gb (outta the max 6gb of RAM), i wud hv tried to do a dual boot setup (preferably with win vista x64) so as to make sure that its a OS fault (of NOT recognising full 6GB of RAM)..

but, now as u say tat the system is unable to boot any DVD/CD or HDD, so wat i can suggest u now is this: I will 1st giv u basic steps so tat we can keep a track of wat to proceed to, in the next set of do's and dont's... :)

1.) remove the CMOS battery and reinsert it after a gap of 5-10 mins..

2.) try flashing ur BIOS (using the USB boot option and with all the 6GB of RAM onto ur board) or burn the bios onto a CD/DVD and try flashing the BIOS, wat it will do is load the defaults or (if not load the defaults) but will jus overwrite the same BIOS version with the one u hv onto ur USB

3.) if 2.) fails, try removing the RAM sticks and jus try it out with 2GB of RAM onboard
and post ur findings (NOT here plz) ...lol.. but in the core i7 thread in my siggy.. plz.. (it will prevent ppl from creating multiple threads on the same topic) :) a request ...
---------------

Cheers n e-peace....

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

^^amitash, had similar issue on his EVGA X58 SLI and I think this is what he did:

1) Clear CMOS
2) Update BIOS
3) remove and insert CPU

Boot into OS

amitash

Intel OCer

^yep, exact same problem and that is what i did...update the BIOS and reseat the CPU...onboard mem controller was conflicting with the RAM

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

lol.. ok so i was almost on the right path wen i told shadowfax abt Cmos and BIOS update in my previous post.... :D
-----------

Cheers n e-peace...

Shadowfax2009

Wandering around

Thanks a lot guys

Today I did a full mem test as suggested by DFi mods (updated on page 2)

Tomorrow I will be reseating my cpu. (didnt do it today as my thermal paste would be broken and I dont have Isoppropyl alcohol at present to clean it)

You guys are great.

No probs at all about the thread merging. Its my fault actually (mods plz mearge this thread)
Posted again:
Some additional test results

Did CMOS Reset

Single memory test

1. Only memory C boots in slot 2 and passes memtest. (Strange: 2 days back none booted alone and gave CF error)

*img21.imageshack.us/img21/1929/img0046lt.jpg[IMG] [IMG]*img21.imageshack.us/img21/img0046lt.jpg/1/w1600.png[IMG]

[IMG]*img11.imageshack.us/img11/9762/img0040yf.jpg[IMG] [IMG]*img11.imageshack.us/img11/img0040yf.jpg/1/w1600.png[IMG]

Mem Stick A & B gives CF error

So with Mem C in Slot 2 when adding stick A in slot 3, 4,5 or 6 it gives C1 error

[IMG]*img183.imageshack.us/img183/8559/img0055ms.jpg[IMG]

When adding Stick B in slot 4 --- POST gives a FF (OK) but memtest freeze up

[IMG]*img10.imageshack.us/img10/6121/img0064pt.jpg[IMG] [IMG]*img10.imageshack.us/img10/img0064pt.jpg/1/w1600.png[IMG]

When adding stick B in slot 6 gives memtest error from test one

[IMG]*img522.imageshack.us/img522/7474/img0053ka.jpg[IMG] [IMG]*img522.imageshack.us/img522/img0053ka.jpg/1/w1600.png[IMG]

In triple channel configuration

CBA ---- CF (Strange again, as two days back it was POSTing with 4 gb mem)

CAB ---- CF

ABC ---- FF --- Memtest OK with showing 2 Gb mem

ACB ---- FF ---- Memtest showing error from test 1

BAC and BCA --- C1 error?

Non standard slot for single dual or triple channel configuration didnt boot

Will go to an overclocker friend on saturday (Probably) and test out with RAM/PSU/Mobo

Will post on sunday.

Lets see how deep this rabbit hole goes.

Last edited:
OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

============

ok guys

1.) i want to burn sum movies onto a DVD so tat they are in such a format tat they can be easliy played ona DVD player.. so in nero wat mode shud i select to burn those movies..?? (each are of the size 700MB) and i wanna burn all those 6 x 700MB parts onto a DVD rather than on one-one Cds for it to be played easily on a DVD player (i mean jus pop the DVD into the player and the movie starts) :)

==========

any ideas wich more to burn those DVDs in Nero ..?? (i hv nero 6 btw) :)

2.) also, wat abt the MP3 files..?? i want it to get them player in the Car (as soon as i pop the CD in the player) so i guess a MP3 CD option in nero shud do the trich right..?? Plz tell methese 2 things.. :)

--------

Cheers n e-peace...

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

1) *forum.my.nero.com/index.php?showtopic=2255
2) yes. use mp3 cd option.

amitash

Intel OCer

@ashu: as darky said, OCing nehalem is a little more complex than regular lga775 ocing...that said, one of the first things you will want to do is get a new good cooler...stock is useless...Also since you have the evga board, download the latest version of ELEET from their site and install it...ELEET is a software OC software and imo the best there is...ELEET + BIOS OC in the evga board can give u the nest results possible...

You can try this guide:
*www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=642527

Or, this is what i did (easier imo):

1.run eleet, run prime95 and start the blend test..(PS be on default BIOS settings), only modify memory so its running below its rated speed...for eg, if you have 1333Mhz RAM then run it at 1066 or 800 by changing the mem multiplier
2.slowly increase the QPI in the overclocking section of ELEET...make sure temps dont go past 80...increase by 5mhz steps until your system freezes/crashes/BSOD'etc
3.Note down the QPI value when the crash happened
4.Go into the BIOS and enter this QPI value under the cpu freq heading under the overclocking tab...
5.now boot into windows and repeat the above steps using eleet, find the max QPI, go back to BIOS and enter, keep repeating the steps untill you cant increase QPI in ELEET anymore, this gave me a final non-overvolting OC of 3.7Ghz.

Tell me if you want to know how to get to 4+ (in my case 4.23 was the max bootable and 4.12 was max stable)

amitash

Intel OCer

^This was exactly wat was happening to me...C1 error on the LED display...reseat CPU asap...also after reseating u might have to reinstall gfx drivers in windows...i had to

vikrant333

Owner of Core i7

@ vikrant

is tat WD hdd of urs a Caviar green or a caviar blue ..??

yup, i wud also like to knw wat did u do tat made ur HDD non functional.. ?? did u play with the jumper settings..??

i have caviar green

i just changed one drive from NTFS to FAT32 to install mac on my comp.
but it never boots again
so i lost my whole data which i collected during previous 3 years :cry::cry::cry:
now i ithink i should make back up but i dont know how to make back up and where
sugget me not on internet like rs....?

Krow

Crowman

Plug that HDD to another frnd's system and back it up on his drives or get your very own external HDD and back it up (if your HDD is detected in other PC's where it is the secondary drive).

Shadowfax2009

Wandering around

Dear Amitash
reseated CPU today ........Still two GB......Going crazy.
will go to system tester tomorrow.

pictures here

*csd.dficlub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11241&page=3

amitash

Intel OCer

^wow thats weird...only other thing i can think of is faulty mobo or cpu...

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

@ desii : thanx for the info dude.. :)

@ amitash : thanx for the TuT, but will follow ur steps 1st as it seems easy and simple too. will post back in a few days, as im busy with sum Java projects.. : P

@ vikrant : hmmm, tats a serious issue, it sounds to me the drive was faulty, coz jus a partitioning of a HDD will NOT at ALL render a HDD useless...

I too hv a WD caviar Green 1TB HDD, wats ur HDD's rpm.. 5600 or 7200 types..?? (not tat it will make any difference though..) but still.. :)

hv u checked the HDD on another system..?? connect the HDD to another system (in secondary priority) and boot up from the Primary HDD and then see if u can access the contents of ur Caviar green HDD via the 1st (primary) hdd...

OR

make use of any Data/HDD data recovery software on ur 1st (Primary HDD) and then try to recover ur Data from the caviar green HDD.. :)

OR

if ur HDD is still under warranty, send it to the WD ppl, call them and tell them tat b4 they do any RnD on ur HDD, u 1st want all the data to be recovered and given it back to u,

try these things and post back ur findings.. :)

-------------

Cheers n e-peace...

Top Bottom