The Nexus 7 Thread (Rooting and Dual Booting with Ubuntu Touch in 10 Steps)

Gollum

Collector
Why is it that the nexus that is sold in india has lesser screen resolution that what we see on Gsm arena?

ankush28

Bazinga
Hey Vyom,
So you updated to kitkat or not?
How its working after kitkat update?
And is it worth buying N7 2012 now?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Hey Vyom,
So you updated to kitkat or not?
How its working after kitkat update?
And is it worth buying N7 2012 now?

Well, I did get the OTA:

*i.minus.com/igZRM77A4nBCO.png

But when I tapped, "Restart and Install", it restarted, but the update failed, since I had custom recovery installed. I haven't got time to look around the solution. But I will post when I get to install it.

Update: I managed to update to KitKat after many hours of intense troubleshooting. Its a long story, but it turned out my front USB ports were the culprit. Due to which update was not happening successfully. As soon as I attached the tab to back port, it got success. And now I am on Kitkat.

*i.minus.com/ibwDhgUoPiW5GF.png

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Vyom did u tried the 3G dongle in it...I mean how does it work/detect?
also on first time boot & setup a WiFi is mandatory? coz I heard that for N7 2013 a WiFi is mandatory for 1st time setup

Last edited:
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Vyom did u tried the 3G dongle in it...I mean how does it work/detect?
also on first time boot & setup a WiFi is mandatory? coz I heard that for N7 2013 a WiFi is mandatory for 1st time setup

Yes, I tried 3g dongle on the tab. Its part of the guide I wrote above. Of course its necessary for you to have WiFi for first startup, how else can you activate a tablet which doesn't support Sim card?
And 3g dongle used to work flawlessly on JB, but on KitKat its giving me some problems. I can use Internet through dongle in some apps, while not in others. I shall have to find a fix for this.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
^^so its better to go for a WiFi only version to save money instead of 3G version :mrgreen:
also 3G dongles work in new Nexus 7 (rooting needed)

Of course its necessary for you to have WiFi for first startup, how else can you activate a tablet which doesn't support Sim card?
alright..but can't we do it using the usb tethering (net thru PC)

ankush28

Bazinga
^^its not possible out of the box(correct me if I am wrong)

If you dont have wifi then use your phone's hotspot!!

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^so its better to go for a WiFi only version to save money instead of 3G version :mrgreen:
also 3G dongles work in new Nexus 7 (rooting needed)

alright..but can't we do it using the usb tethering (net thru PC)

Well, a Wifi version will save you money. But I recommend it only if you are really tight on budget or want a truly VFM product. Since convenience of having the free port cant be matched by a dongle taking its space.

I have no idea about USB Tethering. But since it "Nexus", I am sure you can do it. As can be seen on this thread: [SOLVED] How do I enable Nexus 7 USB tether on Jelly Bean? - xda-developers. But as suggested by ankush28, you can also use your phone's hotspot.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Well, a Wifi version will save you money. But I recommend it only if you are really tight on budget or want a truly VFM product. Since convenience of having the free port cant be matched by a dongle taking its space.

+1. Also, i was amazed at Ipad's functionality as a wireless internet hotspot in anandtech tests. with display off, Ipad air lasted for over 24 hours with a constant 100 Kbps download speed while acting as a 3g to wireless hotspot. Amazing!

AnandTech | iPad Air Delivers 24 Hours of Battery Life as LTE Hotspot

This has prompted me to consider Sim enabled ipads/tablets only on my next purchase.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
New ROM's are now available from cyanogenmod for all Nexus devices including Nexus 7 (grouper).
*download.cyanogenmod.org/?type=snapshot

Going to try installing that on dual boot mode alongside stock ROM.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Vyom, have you ever noticed screen-flicker (brightness-flicker) on your nexus?!

Nopes. You sure it's not your brightness set to auto adjust? If it's on, then try disabling it.

And update in that cyanogenmod ROM:
I installed that as a third ROM on the tab including ubuntu touch and stock ROM. Will share pics later.

Top Bottom