The Nexus 7 Thread (Rooting and Dual Booting with Ubuntu Touch in 10 Steps)

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Why does a tablet needs "activation" ? Makes no sense.

PS: Never into tablets.

Well, by activation I actually meant connecting your tab with a Google account. So that all your apps and settings can be synced. But if you don't want to do that, you should be able to skip it. (I don't remember if you can actually skip it when you have started it the very first time, since I had Wi-Fi when i did that the first time).

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Nopes. You sure it's not your brightness set to auto adjust? If it's on, then try disabling it.

And update in that cyanogenmod ROM:
I installed that as a third ROM on the tab including ubuntu touch and stock ROM. Will share pics later.

yes, it happens on auto-brightness. disabling it doesn't result into flicker. i wrote to flipkart about this, and they replied that they are coming for replacement. should i ask them to let it be?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
yes, it happens on auto-brightness. disabling it doesn't result into flicker. i wrote to flipkart about this, and they replied that they are coming for replacement. should i ask them to let it be?

If you are sure that flicker was actually brightness auto adjusting itself, then there's no point to get a replacement. You can call it off. There's a slight possibility of you receiving a defective piece in lieu of a good product. :p

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
If you are sure that flicker was actually brightness auto adjusting itself, then there's no point to get a replacement. You can call it off. There's a slight possibility of you receiving a defective piece in lieu of a good product. :p

yes, that is my concern as well. hehe.

s_holmes

Broken In
Yes, I tried 3g dongle on the tab. Its part of the guide I wrote above. Of course its necessary for you to have WiFi for first startup, how else can you activate a tablet which doesn't support Sim card?
And 3g dongle used to work flawlessly on JB, but on KitKat its giving me some problems. I can use Internet through dongle in some apps, while not in others. I shall have to find a fix for this.

Maybe this post will help you fix your issue with the 3G dongle
xda-developers - View Single Post - finally 3g dongles work on nexus 7 with simple widget

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Maybe this post will help you fix your issue with the 3G dongle
xda-developers - View Single Post - finally 3g dongles work on nexus 7 with simple widget

Well, changing DNS through the Wifi settings does seem to have made a difference! Now more apps seems to work. I will need to make sure if it isn't the signal problem where I live by using the dongle in my office.

Thanks s_holmes for that link. It looks like I can finally remove the Cyanogenmod which I installed as the 3rd OS on my N7. ;)

PS: Updated the first post with the Commandment: "Thou shalt not use thine nexus unrooted."
(Learnt it from that thread s_holmes posted.)

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I don't know if I was just being a fan boy.. but here's how a conversation went on a FB group about Nexus 7:
(I am Vineet)

*i.minus.com/ibu9UvnZBIxOxK.png

Textual Version:
Kay

Hey guys. If you know anyone who is interested in buying a sealed pack Nexus 7 2013 inbox me. This is because I have purchased the iPad Mini with retina display. So as soon as I receive my tab, it'll be up for sale.
Price: 18000

December 21 at 6:28pm

Prashanth price negotiable?
December 21 at 6:57pm

Shravan I'll Give 10Rs KitKat Wrapper
December 21 at 7:16pm

Vishal How many u won? Which date
December 21 at 8:09pm

Kay I've won 1 on 1st Oct.
December 21 at 9:24pm

Sushrut Nexus 7 is better than ipad mini
December 22 at 2:03am

Nikhil OLX pe bech de!
December 22 at 7:53am

Patanjali Place it for sale on ebay. Rs.19k guaranteed
December 22 at 10:29am ·

Vineet Kumar 1. Nexus 7 with Pure Android experience throws iPad out of the water, with the sheer capability of stuff you can do as well as the freedom you get.

2. Support for future upgrades for iPad is 3 yrs. And that of Nexus 7 is 1.5 yrs. BUT the open source nature of Android makes it future proof for many years to come. And you are guaranteed to get updates till at least 3 or 4 future versions of Android! (Google "Cyanogenmod").

3. It's "Free" gift FFS. Lots of people including me didn't even get the chance to participate (cause special Kitkats weren't available at my place). :|

.. And sell your iPad mini on OLX. Profit.
December 22 at 12:53pm

Vineet Kumar PS: "Retina" display.. is LOL... N7 also has 323 ppi. iPad mini have 326ppi. Your eyes can't differentiate ppi's more than 300. So its a Null point. xD
December 22 at 12:59pm

Kay I am using Nexus 7 2012 and I find iPad far better. Biggest problem is that nexus is so slow and laggy that I don't even feel like using it.
December 22 at 1:42pm

Vineet Kumar ^ Nopes. That's just the Placebo effect, since you don't want to have the Red pill. That, or there is some genuine problem with your Nexus 7 (2012), cause I never felt that. And I have tried multi tasking between two games (both running) and neither lost their status after switch and neither shows lags while playing. (Subway surfer and Asphalt 8 )
Also, the discussion here was of 2013 version of Nexus 7, which is more powerful than 2012 model.
December 22 at 8:53pm
Kay It's Matter of personal preference. I'm using a S4 and I think nexus is nowhere close to it. It's slow and the screen is dull.
December 22 at 9:22pm

Kay I think android is not optimized for tablets yet.
December 22 at 9:23pm

Vineet Kumar Yea maybe. But you forgot to mention that its 2012 model. The 2013 model which you don't even want to try based on your experience on some placebo effect. Open it (or try it from some friend) and your views might change.
Of course, if you just can't understand the freedom you have with Android ecosystem, it may not be the best of our interest to take this discussion any further.

As for the *freedom* that I was talking about, I can do these things on my N7 which you can't do on your iPad:
1. Use pen drives (or external HDDs) to transfer files directly. I can even attach your iPad and N7 can fetch photos from it.
2. Dual or Triple boot it with Ubuntu Touch (Linux on a tab! Still in development though)
3. I can set apps to be default from multiple apps that can be used for some stuff.
4. I can attach a physical USB keyboard and/or mouse and use it natively.

Other miscellaneous stuff:
5. Better multitasking.
6. N7 have a GPS. iPad mini not so much.
7. N7 actually has a *file system*.
8. Bluetooth file transfer.
9. Customizable keyboards
10. Widgets
11. NFC
I should stop, since I think you get the idea. So, yea.. Android is *not* optimized for tablets. Rightly so.
December 22 at 9:52pm

Kay You seem to be a big fan, inbox me if you're interested in buying.
December 22 at 10:27pm

Vineet Kumar I am a big fan of "Freedom".
And thanks for the offer, but already have older gen of N7.
And despite the fact its older gen, it still kicks ass of other Android tablets out there!
December 22 at 10:31pm

Last edited:
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Even if Android is based on Linux kernel but its not that damn simple, USB dongle support is questionable IMO and will vary from device to device.

Yup. Hence the list of some compatible dongles are listed. This is not a golden rule. But if a dongle works on Ubuntu natively, then it have a high chance of working on Android though the use of PPP widget.
As for Tarun Singh, you will have to experiment for yourself. Maybe you can try it on some friend's N7. Also Kitkat version of Android is having some troubles when it comes to PPP widget support. So JB is recommended if you want to try dongles on N7.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Connect ANY 3G dongle to ANY android tablet... - xda-developers
This will help ;)

Thanks for posting that guide. It may help or not, depending on the level of hack you are willing to do!

Btw, The most stable version of Ubuntu Touch got out on 25th Dec. Bad news is that they are pushing a new version every single day henceforth. I was able to flash the version which came out on 27th. But a newer one is already out.

In the 27th Dec version I can still feel some stuttering. If anyone want to give the newer version of Ubuntu Touch a shot please share your experience!
Here is the link to download latest version of Ubuntu for Nexus 7 (2012): Ubuntu Touch 14.04 (Trusty Tahr) Daily Build

Remember you need two files:
trusty-preinstalled-touch-armhf.zip (400 MB)
trusty-preinstalled-touch-armel+grouper.zip (33 MB)

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Today I realized, I could have always used Bluetooth tethering or WiFi hotspot to grant internet to my N7 from my Android phone!
I never needed a 3G dongle! :oops:

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Today I realized, I could have always used Bluetooth tethering or WiFi hotspot to grant internet to my N7 from my Android phone!
I never needed a 3G dongle! :oops:

still using hotspot drains phones battery a lot and using dongle in some cases i.e. travelling is very handy. oh and hv to mntion find it hrd to believe a techie like u not aware of hotspot fn. :D

Top Bottom