The Nexus 7 Thread (Rooting and Dual Booting with Ubuntu Touch in 10 Steps)

kool

Cyborg Agent
I just did factory RESET, now working blazing fast. But lost all installed apps. But i have backup of all apps+data (using titanium backup).

But now i also lost ROOT, how to root lolipop? I m unable to use TBP bcoz of root.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
You can unlock bootloader by adb command, and then install SuperUser:

Code:
fastboot oem unlock

I don't think process of rooting should be any different from rooting Kitkat.

OR

Just install Wugfresh's Nexus Root Toolkit. Fully automated stuff, just select the correct ROM when you start the tool the first time.
Root by clicking one of the options on the toolkit.

kool

Cyborg Agent
My bootloader was already unlocked, just now i flashed latest SUPER SU and now its rooted. :)

kool

Cyborg Agent
Xposed module is not working anymore. :( missing gravitybox and greenify.

Is there any other app that take can control over Android Lollipop? How to change background of app drawer in launcher and keyboard color? I hate its white background.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Xposed module is not working anymore. :( missing gravitybox and greenify.

Is there any other app that take can control over Android Lollipop? How to change background of app drawer in launcher and keyboard color? I hate its white background.

What do you mean, "control over Android Lollipop"? To change background of app drawer in launcher, get Apex launcher. It's just like default launcher, except you can do every bit of customization, including changing icons of the individual apps. Once you install Apex Launcher, there are multiple themes to choose from.

$hadow

Geek in making
Yeah xposed is still stuck on dalvic and ART version is still under making. They will come out soon since it is also one of the reason of low adoption of lollipop.

kool

Cyborg Agent
What do you mean, "control over Android Lollipop"? To change background of app drawer in launcher, get Apex launcher. It's just like default launcher, except you can do every bit of customization, including changing icons of the individual apps. Once you install Apex Launcher, there are multiple themes to choose from.

There is no need of extra launcher/keyboard if u r using gravitybox and other modules.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
There is no need of extra launcher/keyboard if u r using gravitybox and other modules.

Of course. But the reason that you are not able to use Gravitybox and modules, did I suggested to use Apex launcher. Believe me when I say, it's a damn good launcher with hoards of customizability options. I also used Aviate (which was later acquired by Yahoo!) but it never felt good.

kool

Cyborg Agent
my NEXUS 7 2012 (CM12 LOLIPOP 5.02) is now lags lot. :( Its 1 year old now, is there any way to make it faster like new one ? I have cleared cache/dalvik thru TWRP, but still slow.

Can i downgrade to Kitkat ?

aaruni

The Linux Guy
The only way which instantly comes to mind is to flash a kitkat image instead of the current lolipop image. But you'll end up loosing all your data, AFAIK.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
my NEXUS 7 2012 (CM12 LOLIPOP 5.02) is now lags lot. :( Its 1 year old now, is there any way to make it faster like new one ? I have cleared cache/dalvik thru TWRP, but still slow.

Can i downgrade to Kitkat ?

Aaruni is right, you can flash a Kitkat Image, aka CM11 ([ROM] CyanogenMod 11 [OFFICIAL] [NIGHTLIES] … | Nexus 7 | XDA Forums). But be sure to take backups on PC.
I myself planning to downgrade, though I don't use Kitkat much anyway, so I might leave it to LL (Laggy Lollipop). For experimental purpose anyway.

OR I can dual boot N7 with Lollipop and Kitkat, since I can. :rolleyes:

OR you can try looking for custom ROM's based on Lollipop (CM12) which have been tweaked to make it faster. Should be some of them on XDA.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
I just still use CM10 on my nexus 7 as my daily driver. I have kitkat installed as multiboot ROM, but that's just for experimental purposes.

$hadow

Geek in making
There are plenty of roms available but I always find liquidsmooth to be best at stability and performance.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
Sorry to bump an old thread. Which ROM are you guys using now ? I never used a custom ROM and now willing to. The stock Lollipop is anger inducing laggy.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Sorry to bump an old thread. Which ROM are you guys using now ? I never used a custom ROM and now willing to. The stock Lollipop is anger inducing laggy.

As I pickup my age old forgotten and dust eating Nexus 7 from the table, which I keep charge just so that the battery don't die, I seem to have forgotten the pattern to unlock it.
I will get back, once I figure out what the pattern was. -_-

Top Bottom