The LG Optimus One Thread

utkarsh009

In the zone
i want to install a custom rom. which one to go for? i dont want suggish interface and at the same time long battery backup.

sim

Broken In
easiest: if you are on V10C, downgrade to V10B. root. custom recovery. void echo & don't turn H/W acc on.

a bit complicated (for me): uninstall all useless apps from you mobile after you root it. but sometimes removing a safe app too can cause FC or make your mobile sluggish.

what is H/W ? & is rooting the only way to delete pre installed application

as i am new to android all this stuff looks pretty difficult & will take time to understand :|

thanks to all of you for positive reply

cheers :smile:

bharathbala2003

why need title?
i want to install a custom rom. which one to go for? i dont want suggish interface and at the same time long battery backup.

Void and Devoid are good options if u want a good fast UI with decent battery backup (void gave me about 30 hours on good usage)

what is H/W ? & is rooting the only way to delete pre installed application

as i am new to android all this stuff looks pretty difficult & will take time to understand :|

thanks to all of you for positive reply

cheers :smile:

H/W Acc is a method by which u enable the gpu to take over the gfx processing rather than the cpu doing it which means ul get better performance but less battery.. and yes rooting is the only way to delete preinstalled apps..

bharathbala2003

why need title?
there are only 2 roms which are based on 2.3.. one is andy's gb and other cm ported by mik.. i am using cm7 beta 6 which has quite a few bugs.. you could try the stable version beta 4.. both of them have some common bugs and are almost equally good..

if you opt for CM7 or maybe Ginger, you need to as they have their own custom recovery.
No, Amarok is the recovery you might be using and it can flash both the roms.

but 1 doubt i too am having is, will they wipe & use the existing ext partition (ext4 not supported) or what will they do?

you have to format system,and make partition-ext3, wipe all and flash.

Lol 1.4.2 (Android 2.2.2) with multitouch fix+ ringfade+ battery tweak
or you can also go for Void but its based on old Android 2.2

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
What happens is when u install devoid rom u get a very light version (almost everything scrapped) which gives u excellent battery backup.. nand was suggested incase u want any of ur old data back..

but devoid doesn't comes with stock browser. tried it & reflashed void back.

No, Amarok is the recovery you might be using and it can flash both the roms.

ok thanks.

you have to format system,and make partition-ext3, wipe all and flash.

will it return the lost ext space if format in windows? or i have to use linux (got a few live cds, so no problem).

can anyone tell me how to install custom recovery?

i am using ubuntu 10.10

i am using ubuntu 10.10

doesn't matter OS. install terminal & follow the instructions given in XDA. thats how i did it. ADB was (& still is) not working.

bharathbala2003

why need title?
but devoid doesn't comes with stock browser. tried it & reflashed void back.

I have not tried devoid personally.. so i am not sure if doesn't have the stock browser.. but u can get the apk easily so not an issue i suppose

will it return the lost ext space if format in windows? or i have to use linux (got a few live cds, so no problem)

Well to tell u the truth i have never used my comp to format always done it using the recovery which i felt comfortable with..

utkarsh009

In the zone
@sam: could you please provide a link to guide on installing custom recovery using ubuntu 10.10? what i know is that i have to install android sdk and i could only get it for windows!!!!!!:-(

bharathbala2003

why need title?
u can do it on ur phone.. install a terminal emulator and enter the commands in that.. make sure u place the appropriate files in your sd card..

of course typing it in the mobile would be a bit irritating but doesn't take that long just a couple of minutes and its done..

but still for using ADB in linux see this link
How-To Install Android SDK On Windows, Mac and Linux

will it return the lost ext space if format in windows? or i have to use linux (got a few live cds, so no problem).

If you remember, you asked this question few days back and I posted all the three options for you.

PS: you wrote will save it for future. just go back few pages if you can. :grin:

utkarsh009

In the zone
ok i figured everything out and have now installed void #echo using android terminal emulator. thanks all! let me check it out.

well i did a nandroid backup before wiping everything. what will happen if i restore it? also the sd card is only showing 1.36 GB space. i remember i partitioned 512 MB space but how to get it back? also how to get back all the apps that were installed.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
ok i figured everything out and have now installed void #echo using android terminal emulator. thanks all! let me check it out.

well i did a nandroid backup before wiping everything. what will happen if i restore it? also the sd card is only showing 1.36 GB space. i remember i partitioned 512 MB space but how to get it back? also how to get back all the apps that were installed.

After doing 512MB ext4, my 2 GB stock card is showing 1.18 GB... so, yours is still better... :p

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I have not tried devoid personally.. so i am not sure if doesn't have the stock browser.. but u can get the apk easily so not an issue i suppose

but it uses the same amount of memory space as void. same free memory.

what about the modules? which one are you using?

can't. but you can get most of them back through Android Market.

If you remember, you asked this question few days back and I posted all the three options for you.

PS: you wrote will save it for future. just go back few pages if you can. :grin:

yes, i asked. i even saved but can't find the file. may have mixed up with other docs. ok will check the previous reply.

but still for using ADB in linux see this link
How-To Install Android SDK On Windows, Mac and Linux

installation is the easy, but setting up adb is the tricky one. i added the Java path to environmental variables & even downloaded Android tools but still won't work :x will to refer to the link provided by you.

utkarsh009

In the zone
got it and did it. only using GB module. which other modules do you all suggest?

and what was that 512 MB space used for?

k4ce

Youngling
that space was made for apps ... now all the apps you install will reside there ... it's essentially as good as having 512mb space on fone to install apps ... if you had come from the pre-froyo era, you would have understood the importance ...

Regarding the modules, if you want performance, create 'hwacc' folder ... enables system wide hardware accel (GPU use) even when using menus and stuff ... overall phone gets snappier ... but at the cost of battery life ..

'gapps' and 'tapps' folders if you need those apps ... never enable stagefright ... unless u wanna show off in front of a dude with a Nexus One .. :D

guru_urug

iGoogle
Its a long time since I posted!! :) had my prelims in college :p just one more ppr to go..so lil relaxed now :D

BTW I installed this new home replacement app called "SPB SHELL 3D"
Its highly recommended...its by far the best Ive used! superb 3D interface! and doesnt lag at all on my phone..got void #echo wid hwacc on.. try it!

Also..pls update me abt the gb roms on xda...Ive lost touch...I wanna try gb again..I had tried andy's gb earlier... want to know which is bttr now andy's or miks? Ive lost track and dont want to read through 20 pgs of each thread on xda :p

Top Bottom