The Lenovo Ideapad Y510p Thread

iamzero

Broken In
Can anyone helping me in solving this issue?
The dekstop looks completely messed up..folders and programs run fine in original resolution...but this happens to desktop and goes after restarting

WIndows 8.1

issue.jpg

udit247

Journeyman
New mSATA SSDs can contain upto 1 TB(Samsung EVO msata SSD) of data. The msata drive is my primary drive which contains Windows. I use the 1 TB stock drive to store games and stuff. This setup is much better than getting a SATA drive as I get performance + storage. Msata is only for OS and HDD for storage.

I think the Y510p has a different slot. It has M.2 NGFF, you gotta open it up and see. Getting a M.2 NGFF SSD is recommended.

Thanks for the great info mate!
Do you think performance of mSATA SSD is similar to SATA SSD and how have you installed your OS in mSATA SSD, is it accessible in your File Explorer or you got some kind of software which transfers complete OS to mSATA SSD and from where can I get M.2 NGFF Drive.

I think only Lenovo is giving mSATA SSD slot in their laptops and that's one more reason I love Lenovo PC's.

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone helping me in solving this issue?
The dekstop looks completely messed up..folders and programs run fine in original resolution...but this happens to desktop and goes after restarting

WIndows 8.1

View attachment 13707

There seems to be some software problem in your PC. Try to Refresh or Reset your Windows 8 PC. To Refresh or Reset goto Charms Settings>>Update and Recovery>>Recovery

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Thanks for the great info mate!
Do you think performance of mSATA SSD is similar to SATA SSD and how have you installed your OS in mSATA SSD, is it accessible in your File Explorer or you got some kind of software which transfers complete OS to mSATA SSD and from where can I get M.2 NGFF Drive.

I think only Lenovo is giving mSATA SSD slot in their laptops and that's one more reason I love Lenovo PC's.

- - - Updated - - -

There seems to be some software problem in your PC. Try to Refresh or Reset your Windows 8 PC. To Refresh or Reset goto Charms Settings>>Update and Recovery>>Recovery

A Msata drive behaves as a normal HDD. I get 500 MBps read and 320 MBps write speeds. The first thing you should do is open the back cover and see if you have Msata or m.2 ngff. Onlyssd.com has all sorts of ssds. When I installed my ssd, I removed all contents of Hdd and reduced it's size to 40 GB, then cloned the Hdd to ssd and formatted the Hdd.

iamzero

Broken In
Here are the temps while playing arkham origins

temp2.jpg

loiu5.jpg

What to do? Can anyone tell me what things to get replaced.Is it problem with heat sink, cpu fan, thermal pasting or mobo?

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Here are the temps while playing arkham origins

View attachment 13711

View attachment 13712

What to do? Can anyone tell me what things to get replaced.Is it problem with heat sink, cpu fan, thermal pasting or mobo?

Those temps are a bit on the higher side. You're prolly gonna damage the laptop if your GPU keeps those temps for a long time. Mine barely reaches 91 during kombustor(don't try this on your laptop). Never put the laptop on a soft surface, always use it on a table when gaming leaving ample space for air to reach the vents. if nothing works ask the service centre guys to repaste the GPU thermal paste.

$hadow

Geek in making
I think a good cooler is what you should be using on the first place. And as seamon said you need to play on a flat surface. While playing AC4 or bf3 it hardly reaches 90.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I think a good cooler is what you should be using on the first place. And as seamon said you need to play on a flat surface. While playing AC4 or bf3 it hardly reaches 90.

Try furmark or kombustor, it's gonna make you cry. Trust me. My cards barely reach 74 when maxing out metro last light for more than an hour.

$hadow

Geek in making
Try furmark or kombustor, it's gonna make you cry. Trust me. My cards barely reach 74 when maxing out metro last light for more than an hour.

Alright will check out.
Just finished bf3 after playing for about 1 hour it reached 78. So I'm kinda happy coz it is without cooler.

iamzero

Broken In
Those temps are a bit on the higher side. You're prolly gonna damage the laptop if your GPU keeps those temps for a long time. Mine barely reaches 91 during kombustor(don't try this on your laptop). Never put the laptop on a soft surface, always use it on a table when gaming leaving ample space for air to reach the vents. if nothing works ask the service centre guys to repaste the GPU thermal paste.

Thanks, actually all these issues happened after the laptop got replaced. Before that even while playing arkham origins, it never crossed 75 and was going perfectly smooth. Yes i have asked them to come with thermal paste as it is onsite warranty, hopefully that should solve it.

What else would you guys recommend from your experience. Yes i am using at elevated height and have used this for last 3 months without any single issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep i am keeping this in mind but it seems to me something else..

If any else would like to share his/her experience with me on this issue, i shall be happy. If you want mt something else to get replaced, i would convince them to do so, but want laptop working fine as it was before.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, do let me know what else is covered in 2 year extended warranty, i know battery is not covered, what else?

IS frying up of MOBO covered in warranty? i heard my friend saying HP does not cover mobo frying, is it true?
What happens if due to overheating my mobo fries? they will take some time to come probably a week and there is persistent heating on normal usage as well on left side of keyboard.
I'm cursing the moment when i got that beast opened.

udit247

Journeyman
A Msata drive behaves as a normal HDD. I get 500 MBps read and 320 MBps write speeds. The first thing you should do is open the back cover and see if you have Msata or m.2 ngff. Onlyssd.com has all sorts of ssds. When I installed my ssd, I removed all contents of Hdd and reduced it's size to 40 GB, then cloned the Hdd to ssd and formatted the Hdd.

Thanks, now I have decided to get M.2 SSD rather than SATA SSD. I have researched on internet and came to know M.2 max throughput speed can reach 8GB/s if drive supports using PCI-E multiple lanes. Currently Samsung has released a M.2 drive which can reach 1.2GB/s. I believe in the near future M.2 will replace all the other SSD form factors, also Sony has released a new Ultrabook VAIO Pro 13 having only M.2 SSD

- - - Updated - - -

Name suggests it will burn my GPU/CPU:lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, actually all these issues happened after the laptop got replaced. Before that even while playing arkham origins, it never crossed 75 and was going perfectly smooth. Yes i have asked them to come with thermal paste as it is onsite warranty, hopefully that should solve it.

What else would you guys recommend from your experience. Yes i am using at elevated height and have used this for last 3 months without any single issue.

After seeing the attached temp pics, I think ambient temps are just fine because your HDD temps are low but your CPU and GPU temps are beyond normal. You should check whether the heat sink is properly fitted back after opening or not. Also reapply good quality thermal paste (as told by seamon) on CPU/GPU if problems aren't fixed.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Thanks, now I have decided to get M.2 SSD rather than SATA SSD. I have researched on internet and came to know M.2 max throughput speed can reach 8GB/s if drive supports using PCI-E multiple lanes. Currently Samsung has released a M.2 drive which can reach 1.2GB/s. I believe in the near future M.2 will replace all the other SSD form factors, also Sony has released a new Ultrabook VAIO Pro 13 having only M.2 SSD

- - - Updated - - -

Name suggests it will burn my GPU/CPU:lol:

- - - Updated - - -

After seeing the attached temp pics, I think ambient temps are just fine because your HDD temps are low but your CPU and GPU temps are beyond normal. You should check whether the heat sink is properly fitted back after opening or not. Also reapply good quality thermal paste (as told by seamon) on CPU/GPU if problems aren't fixed.

First check whether you have msata or m.2 ngff, if you get a ngff and you find out that you have msata then.....
Furmark does specifically that.

starbearer

Broken In
A generic answer:

Laptop Temp: CPU and GPU temp reaching high point is normal but after a limited point either the system restarts or prolonged use may fry mobo. In case of laptop above 95deg and prolonged use may be a worry factor.
resolution: Try to get Diamond IC thermal paste, I have seen Xoticpc using them on lenovo y510p modified by them...seems a good solution, adding a cooler pad is another option. There was an option for y500s once for a extra fan in dvd caddy...stopped by lenovo due to some reason.

my question:
I had y500 bought last year Oct and doing DOA in Nov...huge problems starting with dead pixels, dvd issue, hdmi issue, wifi and bluetooth issue. Logically u cant return a system after 1.5 months...I sued them for and got my money back...thank you lenovo for understanding.

Im buying y510p next week and hope the bluetooth and wifi cards are not from Atheros...coz they really "sukc"?

I have heard of the glitch on GT755m card on lenovo website mentioning gt750m, Hope that outta box I get gt755m now?

I opened y500 once and it had a SSD connector but no card so wanted to check if this time whats on y510p, I have heard some people saying that they have ngff connector for future addition and some saying that connector isnt solded to mobo now?

Lastly the synaptics touchpad...hope elan is out now for sure.

All help appreciated, im buying @74k in delhi, however on lenovo website its still at 77k :(

**Gigabyte uses to fans and 2 copper elements covering one for gpu and cpu separate, also includes the swappable dvd rom for extra hard drive.... despite of 2 fans already existing. ...kinda interesting. Model no p35k cf1 or cf2 or cf3...hope lenovo could have done this :)

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
A generic answer:

Laptop Temp: CPU and GPU temp reaching high point is normal but after a limited point either the system restarts or prolonged use may fry mobo. In case of laptop above 95deg and prolonged use may be a worry factor.
resolution: Try to get Diamond IC thermal paste, I have seen Xoticpc using them on lenovo y510p modified by them...seems a good solution, adding a cooler pad is another option. There was an option for y500s once for a extra fan in dvd caddy...stopped by lenovo due to some reason.

my question:
I had y500 bought last year Oct and doing DOA in Nov...huge problems starting with dead pixels, dvd issue, hdmi issue, wifi and bluetooth issue. Logically u cant return a system after 1.5 months...I sued them for and got my money back...thank you lenovo for understanding.

Im buying y510p next week and hope the bluetooth and wifi cards are not from Atheros...coz they really "sukc"?

I have heard of the glitch on GT755m card on lenovo website mentioning gt750m, Hope that outta box I get gt755m now?

I opened y500 once and it had a SSD connector but no card so wanted to check if this time whats on y510p, I have heard some people saying that they have ngff connector for future addition and some saying that connector isnt solded to mobo now?

All help appreciated, im buying @74k in delhi, however on lenovo website its still at 77k :(

**Gigabyte uses to fans and 2 copper elements covering one for gpu and cpu separate, also includes the swappable dvd rom for extra hard drive.... despite of 2 fans already existing. ...kinda interesting. Model no p35k cf1 or cf2 or cf3...hope lenovo could have done this :)

Is IC diamond even available in India?
I saw Arctic Silver in primeabgb site. The best I got was Copper thermal paste from local store.
I haven't faced any problems with Qualcomm Atheros wifi card.

starbearer

Broken In
Is IC diamond even available in India?
I saw Arctic Silver in primeabgb site. The best I got was Copper thermal paste from local store.
I haven't faced any problems with Qualcomm Atheros wifi card.

if you want to spend almost 40$ you can get that to india.
check this link: Amazon.com: dmt diamomd paste

Alternatively you can search for diamond paste at amazon.com.
I was with Amazon till last year in US, so im sure you can order to india from the same wrbsite only if you want to spend a bit extra...but its real worth...I have used the same on studio from dell and its temp never went more than 75deg even after 14hrs of continuous playing...lol

iamzero

Broken In
A generic answer:

my question:

How did you sue them? Mine is 4 months old/.

starbearer

Broken In
How did you sue them? Mine is 4 months old/.

call the number for customer care if I remember correctly...and ask for Bharan or Sabha S...they are from lencare and deal with DOA specifically...

I troubled them for 2 things:
-3 hr wait on some lencare number everytime for consecutive 4 days, proved that there lencare isnt assisting customer and the hold time exceeding has cost, hence service gurantee for next day assistance at home visit never fulfilled.
-product sold with sub standard parts that were reported to become not working within couple of days, so you can challenge them on pre delivery system check and also sli graphic card said on website not available, incorrect system specification on elan vs synaptics..

this is how and ita more than enuff!!

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
call the number for customer care if I remember correctly...and ask for Bharan or Sabha S...they are from lencare and deal with DOA specifically...

I troubled them for 2 things:
-3 hr wait on some lencare number everytime for consecutive 4 days, proved that there lencare isnt assisting customer and the hold time exceeding has cost, hence service gurantee for next day assistance at home visit never fulfilled.
-product sold with sub standard parts that were reported to become not working within couple of days, so you can challenge them on pre delivery system check and also sli graphic card said on website not available, incorrect system specification on elan vs synaptics..

this is how and ita more than enuff!!

So basically you did not sue them earlier because if you had done it then they would not have advertised SLI this time. You just asked for a refund directly. Am I correct?

amitbhatt89

Broken In
wohoo finally purchased :)

got only 2 partitions so using disk management i made more 3 partitions and sized all as per my requirement , reduced system (os drive) by 150 GB.

another thing i dont like is too much lenovo softwares , i am going to remove them
here my question is about energy management , is it must have thing or i can remove it ?

Top Bottom