The Lenovo Ideapad Y510p Thread

DukeSan27

Right off the assembly line
Whoa!! Those are soar temps. Play on a flat surface. Say goodbye to your bed. Get a laptop cooler.

My laptop's GPUs(GT 650m's) are clocked way above GT 755m's and they never go above 74.
Ideally you want them below 85 for long a long healthy GPU life. Keep CPU in the early 80s, preferably in the 70s for prolonging it's life.

It's on a flat surface alright, nothing more I can with that right now.

Just down clocked both CPU and GPU, now CPU is less than 80 and GPU less than 85. Performance does not seem to be changed much.

udit247

Journeyman
For the past few days my ISP's DNS is not working good, so I started searching for alternatives and when alternative comes into mind we think of Google DNS, OpenDNS etc. but never benchmark these things to find which one's best for particular location, so when I was researching fastest DNS at my location, I came across an excellent DNS benchmarking software - nameBench
I am posting the links for this software below, so you guys can also find out which DNS is fastest at your location.
*code.google.com/p/namebench/

priyankgupta

Journeyman
How to get the warranty extension on Y510p?
Is it possible to get it online? Or do I need to purchase it through local dealer?

Update : The following link doesn't have "India" mentioned in it! :(
Lenovo Support - Upgrade or Extend Your Warranty (IN)

starbearer

Broken In
Finally bought y510p with synaptics, gt755m and broadcom wireless at 73.5k....im happy with this good deal.
swapped backpack with lenovo wireless mouse and keyboard in 1...nice deal and its pretty handy wen u want to control ur laptop for presentations or even a wireless control for fun.

Will open the laptop to see of this laptop has ssnd or ngff connector.

amitbhatt89

Broken In
Finally bought y510p with synaptics, gt755m and broadcom wireless at 73.5k....im happy with this good deal.
swapped backpack with lenovo wireless mouse and keyboard in 1...nice deal and its pretty handy wen u want to control ur laptop for presentations or even a wireless control for fun.

Nice , Congrats :)

can you tell me code of wireless mouse and keyboard that you got ? i need to buy one combo for the same laptop :)

seamon

Superhuman Spambot

Man you are daring. Be careful, the back cover is really hard to remove.

starbearer

Broken In
For all:

See the pics below, in HM86 mobo there is SSD connector solded 2014-03-05 09.31.56.jpg.
I have also attached pics for other things, HDD, Ultrabay ports, WIFI and RAM....heatsink and fan too!!

2014-03-05 09.34.57.jpg
2014-03-05 09.37.35.jpg
2014-03-05 09.38.43.jpg

for people who wanna try to open their y500 or y510p...remember that there are 11screws at the back and do it gently and carefully, best way is to open the middle screw first and move on from left to right and follow the same process for shutting the back cover.

Myth:
I disagree that people have reported that leaving dvd rom out from ultrabay helps them lower the temps...kinda not a solid theory, when u open the back cover you will see a plastic tape attached just beneath the cooling vent on back cover but there is just a small box that is left vacant from dvd rom and cpu fan side...see pics

Gaurav139

Broken In
Guys do you think lenovo will drop the prices of y510p in next 3 months considering that it has decided to launch y50 as its successor?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Guys do you think lenovo will drop the prices of y510p in next 3 months considering that it has decided to launch y50 as its successor?

It will be discontinued then just as Y500 was. It won't be released in India that soon. They are waiting for maxwell.

starbearer

Broken In
It will be discontinued then just as Y500 was. It won't be released in India that soon. They are waiting for maxwell.

So far what ive heard y510p will be continued for a bit longer, I hope this year end since the new y40 or y50 are much more different than y510p or 410p.
Read this link: Lenovo Y50 review | TechRadar

Pros of y50:
Light weight
GTX gaming card
Sleek design
16gb ram

Cons:
No internal dvd
No ultrabay
Has to be high price at least sumwhere near 85000-100000 in India
I7 4702hq processor, I believe should have chosen a better one.

**these are based on my thinking...for rest go figure and enjoy :)

Gaurav139

Broken In
too bad it would have made the deal even better:wink:
I think it will run on kepler considering the 880m they launched runs on kepler.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
too bad it would have made the deal even better:wink:
I think it will run on kepler considering the 880m they launched runs on kepler.

That's just a rumor. The chip was acquired by a Chinese guy and it is yet not confirmed whether it's the original GTX 880m or not. The assumption was also made because Nvidia makes it's highest end chips of the previous generation, just as 670m,675m were fermi. Then it adds 'x' in the title. 670mx, 675mx were kepler. Mind you GT 820m is still Fermi.

I think the Y50 won't be good for gaming. The 4k screen will completely crush the GPU, no matter how powerful it is(I am sure it won't be much powerful than the current gtx 765m due to heating issues). Lowering the resolution will result is poor visual quality as it is a trait of LCD displays wherein visual quality is degraded if the app is not run in native resolution. If it's GPU is Kepler based then it will be a movie watching laptop at best.

I kinda like the Ultrabay concept. It's so convenient.
BTW Y50 looks pretty swell. It's just like an improvised Y500/Y510p. The absence of the numpad is a little disappointing as running NFS games will be a problem then.

udit247

Journeyman
I have done some benchmarking again on Y510P with newest drivers and following are the results to help you guys compare.

Cinebench
OpenGL: 74.86 FPS
CPU: 645 cb
Image.jpg

3DMark
Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700MQ,LENOVO VIQY0Y1

I have tried to download PCMark 8 numerous of times to benchmark on it as well but it always failed on me!:cry:

Specs:
Intel Driver: 10.18.10.3412
Nvidia Driver: 9.18.13.3489

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on your wise purchase:mrgreen:

- - - Updated - - -

For all:

See the pics below, in HM86 mobo there is SSD connector soldedView attachment 13769.
I have also attached pics for other things, HDD, Ultrabay ports, WIFI and RAM....heatsink and fan too!!

View attachment 13770
View attachment 13771
View attachment 13772

for people who wanna try to open their y500 or y510p...remember that there are 11screws at the back and do it gently and carefully, best way is to open the middle screw first and move on from left to right and follow the same process for shutting the back cover.

Myth:
I disagree that people have reported that leaving dvd rom out from ultrabay helps them lower the temps...kinda not a solid theory, when u open the back cover you will see a plastic tape attached just beneath the cooling vent on back cover but there is just a small box that is left vacant from dvd rom and cpu fan side...see pics

Many thanks for the info and pics and I must say you are very daring since you have opened your brand new laptop!:shock:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I have done some benchmarking again on Y510P with newest drivers and following are the results to help you guys compare.

Cinebench
OpenGL: 74.86 FPS
CPU: 645 cb
View attachment 13780

3DMark
Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700MQ,LENOVO VIQY0Y1

I have tried to download PCMark 8 numerous of times to benchmark on it as well but it always failed on me!:cry:

Specs:
Intel Driver: 10.18.10.3412
Nvidia Driver: 9.18.13.3489

Oh so 3D mark 13 considers a laptop with score 3364 as a gaming laptop. *flees to check Y500's*

- - - Updated - - -

Comes back to find it's 1GB -.- .

- - - Updated - - -

Try 3D mark 11 please c:

starbearer

Broken In
See below pics:
20140306_024725.jpg
20140306_024704.jpg

This device comes with batteries included, works fine with my laptop and note3 mobile....its very handy to use.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Good News Everyone.

Y510P Removable Graphics GT755M5 | Lenovo | (US)

This is the SLI card for Y510p.

If anyone is interested then I suggest PPOBox.com-Shop and Ship from USA, UK and China to India Online

This service was personally tested by me and I can guarantee they know what they are doing. They can import the card and clear customs for you.

The performance gain you ask? You'll get the kind of performance that surpasses Alienware 17 which is considered by most the most powerful gaming notebook in India.

Don't forget you will also need the 170w AC adapter.

Top Bottom