The Lenovo Ideapad Y510p Thread

goldsmit409

Broken In
touchpad thing is wht i am worried about i dont wanna buy a new laptop and get it opened within a few days.....
today i will get the delivery lets see what i get.....synaptic or elan....

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I got my touchpad replaced..however, i have run into some other issues. After the replacement and opening of laptop, the right side besides the touchpad makes a click like sound when pressed and they have agreed to change the back panel to check and fix.

however i am experience serious heating issues after that on normal browser and internet usage. the left side of keyboard heats up as well though he cleaned the laptop infront of me. What do you guys suggest what to do? what to tell him in next visit?

There are constant memory instructions errors and display driver stopped errors. Also i am getting burning smell while using laptop plugged in charging. what can be the issues help!

Check the temps using HWmonitor and post here. If CPU/GPU temps are crossing the 90 degree mark then ask them to reapply thermal paste(order a good one like Arctic Silver from flipkart or Primeabgb). If the heating issues persists even when temps are low get it checked.

amitbhatt89

Broken In
Look for other cheap deal!
Basically check accessories .Its pretty useless to get cheap branded accessories like Enter,etc.

Or go with flipkart for 72.4 k + backpack

i am getting lenovo backpack and headphone , and other accessories may not lenovo branded but still i think 73000 is good deal , as i m getting it directly from lenovo store.

The other thing is on lenovo Indian site they clearly mentioned that think twice before buy from site like flipkart , snapdeal etc , because seller on that sites are not authorized dealer and may have warranty issues after buying laptop.

*i.imgur.com/h8wNzlS.png

also what is synaptic or elan touchpad , which is best and how can i check what is i am getting ?

$hadow

Geek in making
I don't understand from where does this ghost of elan and synaptic touch pad issue keeps on coming. AFAIK all the laptops are now being shipped with synaptic and if you are now a unlucky one who got elan just contact Centre or check in the settings which pointer are you having before buying.
Secondly Toshiba and Lenovo both has stated that people try to buy from local sellers and avoid e-commerce due to warranty issue. So I would suggest you to avoid it. And the deal looks good.

amitbhatt89

Broken In
I don't understand from where does this ghost of elan and synaptic touch pad issue keeps on coming. AFAIK all the laptops are now being shipped with synaptic and if you are now a unlucky one who got elan just contact Centre or check in the settings which pointer are you having before buying.
Secondly Toshiba and Lenovo both has stated that people try to buy from local sellers and avoid e-commerce due to warranty issue. So I would suggest you to avoid it. And the deal looks good.

Thanks for the reply mate

also new laptop coming with windows 8.1 or still 8 if you know

i have no speedy data connection and its almost 2 gigs setup to upgrade to 8.1 from 8 :/

anything else you suggest me to check while buying ?

$hadow

Geek in making
Thanks for the reply mate

also new laptop coming with windows 8.1 or still 8 if you know

i have no speedy data connection and its almost 2 gigs setup to upgrade to 8.1 from 8 :/

anything else you suggest me to check while buying ?

Who told you that. It is about 4 gigs to download and then about another gig of drivers for 8.1 to be downloaded from the website.
I guess the stock system comes with Windows 8 on board.

amitbhatt89

Broken In
Who told you that. It is about 4 gigs to download and then about another gig of drivers for 8.1 to be downloaded from the website.
I guess the stock system comes with Windows 8 on board.

i read that here Upgrading with a metered Internet connection - Microsoft Windows Help

I dont know if its larger than 2 gigs , and if so than it more big problem for me to upgrade :/

$hadow

Geek in making
i read that here Upgrading with a metered Internet connection - Microsoft Windows Help

I dont know if its larger than 2 gigs , and if so than it more big problem for me to upgrade :/

I still has mine update due and it says 3.7 something.

udit247

Journeyman
That scene gives me 30 on SLI. Scaling is good upto 70%.

- - - Updated - - -

Back in April price was 65k for Y500 which is essentially the same model :p.

and Dude you gotta try a SSD. The experience is awesome. I never wanna go back to HDD. It's like a completely different computer. No lag nothing. For eg. a game hangs(say by OCing too much-> Kernal near Krash).........earlier my OS would hang then and there, now no hang nothing, everything is usable while the game is in hang mode.

New game update is available on Origin, I am now upgrading it to version 1.4, lets see what's fixed in this update!
Well regarding SSD, I am still holding myself somehow. Don't tell me the experience is awesome because than I have to get one real soon!:lol:

- - - Updated - - -

I got my touchpad replaced..however, i have run into some other issues. After the replacement and opening of laptop, the right side besides the touchpad makes a click like sound when pressed and they have agreed to change the back panel to check and fix.

however i am experience serious heating issues after that on normal browser and internet usage. the left side of keyboard heats up as well though he cleaned the laptop infront of me. What do you guys suggest what to do? what to tell him in next visit?

There are constant memory instructions errors and display driver stopped errors. Also i am getting burning smell while using laptop plugged in charging. what can be the issues help!

Why have you replaced your touchpad at the first place! Was it not working fine or you just wanted to change from Elan to Synaptics. That's the reason I never try to repair any of my gadgets even at the service centers, many of times I have seen and experienced in the past that if gadgets are opened than they start giving problems!

- - - Updated - - -

Got it today
And yes it's elan but no issues
N yes it's win8 u have to update

Congrats buddy!

Aerrow

Journeyman
Why have you replaced your touchpad at the first place! Was it not working fine or you just wanted to change from Elan to Synaptics. That's the reason I never try to repair any of my gadgets even at the service centers, many of times I have seen and experienced in the past that if gadgets are opened than they start giving problems

Completely true.

Guys, anyone thinking of an upgrade? If so, which is the most likely lappy to choose?

Aerrow

Journeyman
Also, can anyone tell me how to add an SSD?

Cost, steps?? I use the sli full hd version with 650ms.

iamzero

Broken In
Check the temps using HWmonitor and post here. If CPU/GPU temps are crossing the 90 degree mark then ask them to reapply thermal paste(order a good one like Arctic Silver from flipkart or Primeabgb). If the heating issues persists even when temps are low get it checked.

Thanks bro, i am attaching the ss of temps just after booting the laptop, i am not usign or running any programs as of now.
how much do yours go on normal usage of internet connection, firefox, chrome opened with tabs and editing in word and notepad.

How much do i need to worry? tem.jpghjk.png

Also my battery wear level is 5% at what % can i expect lenovo management to show bad status, because they consider only the software status, if its bad they will send a new one.

If anyone has to ask info on how customer care went, about touchpad or about my experience do let me know.

- - - Updated - - -

@udit,

Bro, the touchpad was sunk a lot from right side and make a bad click sound like something like a small stone is fixed somewhere, to prevent further damage i asked them and i preffered for synaptics that's it.

Any advises, now they will replace the back cover to check the sound coming, if you want to share something let me know.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Also, can anyone tell me how to add an SSD?

Cost, steps?? I use the sli full hd version with 650ms.

Open up the damn back cover.
On the right side there(laptop underside facing you) should be a slot which would be filled with a small card( if you have the caching SSD), remove it.
Buy a mSata SSD from here(only this, nothing else fits)(I got Plextor M5M 128 GB, avoid ADATA and Kingston):-
Buy mSATA SSD | mSATA SSD Price in India | Online mSATA Solid State Drive
Fit it in there and tighten it with the mounting screw.

- - - Updated - - -

Or buy an Alienware X51 and a sweet FHD IPS monitor for the same price :)

That ****'s weak. It's CPU score is 5900, core i7 mobile quads score ~7000.
GPU is weak as hell too.
GTX 645- 576 shaders running at 823Mhz. I have 768 running at 1080Mhz.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks bro, i am attaching the ss of temps just after booting the laptop, i am not usign or running any programs as of now.
how much do yours go on normal usage of internet connection, firefox, chrome opened with tabs and editing in word and notepad.

How much do i need to worry?View attachment 13697View attachment 13698

Also my battery wear level is 5% at what % can i expect lenovo management to show bad status, because they consider only the software status, if its bad they will send a new one.

If anyone has to ask info on how customer care went, about touchpad or about my experience do let me know.

- - - Updated - - -

@udit,

Bro, the touchpad was sunk a lot from right side and make a bad click sound like something like a small stone is fixed somewhere, to prevent further damage i asked them and i preffered for synaptics that's it.

Any advises, now they will replace the back cover to check the sound coming, if you want to share something let me know.

You only posted CPU temps, post rest(GPU, HDD etc) of them too. Post after playing some demanding game for 1 hour.

Last edited:

udit247

Journeyman
Open up the damn back cover.
On the right side there(laptop underside facing you) should be a slot which would be filled with a small card( if you have the caching SSD), remove it.
Buy a mSata SSD from here(only this, nothing else fits)(I got Plextor M5M 128 GB, avoid ADATA and Kingston):-
Buy mSATA SSD | mSATA SSD Price in India | Online mSATA Solid State Drive
Fit it in there and tighten it with the mounting screw.

Thanks for the info and site link. Earlier I was thinking you were having a SSD which fits in the HDD slot, well I am planing to get that SSD after some time, decided 128GB or 256GB Samsung 840 Pro and I think that mSATA SSD is like a caching memory which speeds up the frequently used files or programs, including windows start-up and shut-down. What do you say? Can you access 128GB from your computer.
Since the cost of mSATA SSD and SATA SSD are almost same so I will go with SATA SSD and I will put that SSD in the HDD slot and move HDD to DVD drive using HDD Caddy.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Thanks for the info and site link. Earlier I was thinking you were having a SSD which fits in the HDD slot, well I am planing to get that SSD after some time, decided 128GB or 256GB Samsung 840 Pro and I think that mSATA SSD is like a caching memory which speeds up the frequently used files or programs, including windows start-up and shut-down. What do you say? Can you access 128GB from your computer.
Since the cost of mSATA SSD and SATA SSD are almost same so I will go with SATA SSD and I will put that SSD in the HDD slot and move HDD to DVD drive using HDD Caddy.

New mSATA SSDs can contain upto 1 TB(Samsung EVO msata SSD) of data. The msata drive is my primary drive which contains Windows. I use the 1 TB stock drive to store games and stuff. This setup is much better than getting a SATA drive as I get performance + storage. Msata is only for OS and HDD for storage.

I think the Y510p has a different slot. It has M.2 NGFF, you gotta open it up and see. Getting a M.2 NGFF SSD is recommended.

Top Bottom