The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

piyush.tyagi

Right off the assembly line
Guys I have asked fk to refund me my money
I bought 720p idea pad y500 but before confrming anything with fk I would like your opinions I need my laptop for developemnt purposes so better screen is very important (I was fooled by wrong description on fk)
Samsung np550p5c-s05in was my second choice
I am not a heavy gamer but screen has to be good
If there is any other model in the same range then please do tell

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
Guys I have asked fk to refund me my money
I bought 720p idea pad y500 but before confrming anything with fk I would like your opinions I need my laptop for developemnt purposes so better screen is very important (I was fooled by wrong description on fk)
Samsung np550p5c-s05in was my second choice
I am not a heavy gamer but screen has to be good
If there is any other model in the same range then please do tell

if u r into development... then why go with geforce??... Quadro is what u need!

piyush.tyagi

Right off the assembly line
Akash Nandi;1955923to development... then why go with geforce??... Quadro is what u need![/QUOTE said:
My budget is 65k and Samsung np550p5c s05in seems like better choice because of good screen and better processor and more ram
Ssd would have been icing on cake but oems are stupid
Laptops with quadro are expensive
I am in college and i will be compiling aosp roms on the machine
And i havent found any other option
Also i cant put money in desktop

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
My budget is 65k and Samsung np550p5c s05in seems like better choice because of good screen and better processor and more ram
Ssd would have been icing on cake but oems are stupid
Laptops with quadro are expensive
I am in college and i will be compiling aosp roms on the machine
And i havent found any other option
Also i cant put money in desktop

U dnt need quadro for asop roms i believe....
infact... u dnt need a gt 750m either! u just need a good ass processor... an i7 and 8gb ram would suffice! i doubt if there are any laptops with ssd in india though

Capture.jpg

guys... wht firestrike scores did u all get..? just want to confirm so tht i know this thing is running as it should...

It was done on 311 driver btw

yomanabhi

Journeyman
Guys I'm planing to buy y500 from local store in chandigarh,
however i have few doubts about it....

1) Touch pad issue is resolved in newer models?

2) What difference in elan and Synaptics

3) How many models is available in india of y500 and what their difference and price?
I checked, there only one available on lenovo site (75K) and on flipkart (67K).

4) I can this of 65k locally?

5) what is SLI graphics option?

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Guys I'm planing to buy y500 from local store in chandigarh,
however i have few doubts about it....

1) Touch pad issue is resolved in newer models?

2) What difference in elan and Synaptics

3) How many models is available in india of y500 and what their difference and price?
I checked, there only one available on lenovo site (75K) and on flipkart (67K).

4) I can this of 65k locally?

5) what is SLI graphics option?

1. Yup, it has been resolved
2. Elan touchpad sucked... had many problems... The issue were more or less resolved in newer stock with synaptics touchpad, though the synaptics one isn't that great either...
3. As of now, only one model is available online... The GT750m one with 1366x768 screen resolution... The one on lenovo site is the same one on Flipkart...
Offline, i.e., locally, there are two models available:
1. Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-346619) with Full HD sceen and GT650m
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-346619) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) - Lenovo: Flipkart.com
2. Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-379647) with HD screen and GT750m
*www.flipkart.com/lenovo-ideapad-y500-59-379647-laptop-3rd-gen-ci7-8gb-1tb-win8-2gb-graph/p/itmdhe8gxhhggcfh?pid=COMDHE8FYE7KASYP&otracker=variants
4. If you want to know if you can buy this locally for 65k, get your arse off your pc, walk to a computer store in your locality and ask them!!! Duh!!!:-D
5. SLI graphics means you'll have two graphics cards, the secondary card being in the optical drive bay!!! It's not available in India but it's available in the US...
I bought my SLI laptop from newegg.com through ishopinternational.com!!! :cool:
m!!! :cool:

yomanabhi

Journeyman
Thanks for answer powerhoney
In india optical drive bay is available in y500 laptop....?

Should i choose Full HD sceen and GT650m or HD screen and GT750m?

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent

+1 to what Entrana said...
The GT750m is just an overclocked GT650m so I would suggest the FullHD model...
One thing to note is that the Full HD model is very hard to find... It's nonexistent online and you'll be lucky if you find it locally... :)
And, yeah, optical drive is available in the Indian model...

H2O

Journeyman
There were a major issue with the Lenovo Y500 laptop I had bought few weeks ago. Its serial no was invalid. When I tried to enter the serial no in Lenovo official website to check the warranty, it said the serial no doesn't exist. Contacted Lenovo. They said, its normal with those who buy new products. So they asked me to send them a scanned copy of my bill. They told me it will be updated within three odd days. Three days passed and there was still no update. So, I called Leonovo again and this time talked with their higher authorities. They said, they will give me a call back that day which they did. They told me there was some unique case with my laptop as their system isn't accepting my laptop's serial number. They told me to wait for few days so that they could sort it out or better I contact the ones from whom I bought the laptop.

I contacted Flipkart last week and let them know. They told me I will receive a call within 48 hours regarding this but it never happened. So, I called them back again. They said the guy who registered my complain registered in the wrong section. :banghead: They told me to give them 48 more hours and they will definitely get back to me regarding that. 72 hours passed and still no call. I was really pissed off by then. Called Flipkart on Saturday and asked them to get me in contact with their higher authorities. I told them, I couldn't wait further and I want my laptop to be replaced. They said their usual "We're extremely sorry for the inconvenience etc" and told me to wait till Monday so that their technical department can work on this issue with Lenovo and find a solution. Yesterday, I received a call from Flipkart and that technical department guy asked me to send a snapshot of the serial no etc at the back of the laptop. I sent it to him. Today they contacted me again and were asking more time :pullhair: . I told them I have had enough and I just wanted the laptop to be replaced which the agreed. So, The new laptop is on its way and would be delivered in few days time.

Absolutely crazy shite this. Thank god, I didn't sell my old laptop otherwise I would have been screwed. I hope all the guys check their serial number in Lenovo's official website to see if the serial number and warranty is right or not.

Akash Nandi

Journeyman

If the laptop is purely for gaming, then i suggest you go for the GT 750M model cause, neither the 650m or 750m is very capable of gaming maxed out in full hd.
and secondly, though people claim tht 750m is just a overclocked 650m, the 750m performs about 5% slower than a 670m while keeping temps in the range 70-75 at the most making me believe tht the 750m has a much better silicon ... as in the ASIC

Hrishi

Actually they all are based on the same chip design taken from their desktop equivalent , but what differs is that one of them is better binned for sustaining higher TDP and is thus clocked higher.

There were a major issue with the Lenovo Y500 laptop I had bought few weeks ago. Its serial no was invalid. When I tried to enter the serial no in Lenovo official website to check the warranty, it said the serial no doesn't exist.

I contacted Flipkart last week and let them know.

Same happened with me too. Lenovo didn't do anything. After contacting Lenovo, they rectified the problem in 4-5 days(they never called me too but I got email from them after problem was solved)

Hrishi

It's like GT640m~645m~650m DDR3.
GT650mDDR5~GTX660mDDR5.

I think the 750m is nothing but a more refined version of it.

H2O

Journeyman
Same happened with me too. Lenovo didn't do anything. After contacting Lenovo, they rectified the problem in 4-5 days(they never called me too but I got email from them after problem was solved)

They contacted me with e-mail as well but said its a special case and can't give me an estimation time. It was risky which is why I ordered Flipkart for the replacement.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
They contacted me with e-mail as well but said its a special case and can't give me an estimation time. It was risky which is why I ordered Flipkart for the replacement.

Hmmm... Bad attitude by these companies... Anyway, do keep us updated!!! :)

Top Bottom