The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Lenovo did an excellent job with the cooling... Even my second graphics card doesn't heat up!!! Totally happy with the purchase... Thanks to all the guys who helped in recommending me this laptop, especially entrana, anupam_pb, deadzone, etc... :):):-D

Lenovo did an excellent job with the cooling... Even my second graphics card doesn't heat up!!! Totally happy with the purchase... Thanks to all the guys who helped in recommending me this laptop, especially entrana, anupam_pb, deadzone, etc... :):):-D

What's the max temp for CPU n GPU ? Use CPUID......start it before gaming

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
What's the max temp for CPU n GPU ? Use CPUID......start it before gaming

Will do that in a couple of days... Currently busy... :-(
Anyway, to YaasshDh and anyone who bought the SLI version, update to the latest Nvidia drivers (320.49) as the one they provide have some SLI problems... :)
...........................................................................................................................................................

BTW, is there anyway to prevent under-clocking of the GT 650Ms while running on battery power???

I also felt it....... but no DVD drive issues for me..........few users faced it. They say that only one side of button is working & also eject option from Computer

my button goes in...so i actually have to use the nail of my finger to press it nd get it out....
i've been using that "eject" option in "my computer" since i actually dont have any other option available...
what to do???
should i contact service centre guys???

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
Will do that in a couple of days... Currently busy... :-(
Anyway, to YaasshDh and anyone who bought the SLI version, update to the latest Nvidia drivers (320.49) as the one they provide have some SLI problems... :)
...........................................................................................................................................................

BTW, is there anyway to prevent under-clocking of the GT 650Ms while running on battery power???

it isn't possible. your battery wattage can handle only 1 gpu at a time

Okay! guys! in a bit of trouble here... have u all noticed tht shutting down ur y500 doesn't actually shut it down... ? it goes to a very deep sleep and then resumes as if it hibernated. you can check this from the task manager>>permormance>> uptime

the uptime is supposed to show how long the computer has been on for the session.

anyone know how to shut down the laptop like the old days? =|

PS : i'm talking about the GT 750M model with windows 8

Last edited:

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
So, there's no way to prevent underclocking of even one of the GPUs??? No mobile gaming on the move, then???:|

i think its bios configured... so no...
Besides... gaming on battery will kill the battery!

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings

there is an option for fast boot try disabling that & see if it works..

Will try tht... bt it'll reduce boot up time i'm guessing! =|

powerstarprince

In the zone
Create a shortcut and give it the following command. Use it to fully shutdown ur laptop whenever needed
C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

gokul_uf

Right off the assembly line
hey guys did someone try dualbooting (windows 8 and any other linux distro) on the Y500?
I tried to do so by enabling legacy support. switching off secure boot and installed fedora 19 using a live usb, the thing is fedorea works perfectly well now but windows 8 fails to boot telling that \boot\bcd file is missing or damaged. when I called up the tech support they told me that lenovo does not support dual booting and that I needed to take it to the service center. Is there any way to dual boot on Y500?

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
hey guys did someone try dualbooting (windows 8 and any other linux distro) on the Y500?
I tried to do so by enabling legacy support. switching off secure boot and installed fedora 19 using a live usb, the thing is fedorea works perfectly well now but windows 8 fails to boot telling that \boot\bcd file is missing or damaged. when I called up the tech support they told me that lenovo does not support dual booting and that I needed to take it to the service center. Is there any way to dual boot on Y500?

+1... I would like to know that too!!! And, can we dual boot Windows 8 & 7???

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Windows 8 is basically windows 7 with a few slight changes... why would u want to have both? :/

I didn't say that I would want both... I just wanted to know if it's possible considering the different partition styles involved... And, if you think Windows 8 is basically Windows 7 with just a few slight changes, you are dead wrong!!!

rohanz

Journeyman

Disable legacy support
Basically revert any changes to bios. Windows 8 will work.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Btw, @anupam_pb, here are the temperature readings:
1. At room temperature, idle condition, No AC, 32 degree Celsius (According to a mercury thermometer):
*i.imgur.com/HF9TJLZ.png?1
2. At AC temperature, 24 degree celsius, F1 2012 All Ultra 8XAA, 1 quick race and then the young driver's test:
*i.imgur.com/oscFrc7.png
3. At room temperature, 33 degree Celsius, F1 2012 All Ultra 8XAA, 1 quick race:
*i.imgur.com/t8uowH3.png

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
Btw, @anupam_pb, here are the temperature readings:
1. At room temperature, idle condition, No AC, 32 degree Celsius (According to a mercury thermometer):
*i.imgur.com/HF9TJLZ.png?1
2. At AC temperature, 24 degree celsius, F1 2012 All Ultra 8XAA, 1 quick race and then the young driver's test:
*i.imgur.com/oscFrc7.png
3. At room temperature, 33 degree Celsius, F1 2012 All Ultra 8XAA, 1 quick race:
*i.imgur.com/t8uowH3.png

i dunno whts wrong... but.. When i bought the laptop...(less than a week before) my idle temps were in the high 30s to low 40s... howver... now... my idle temps cpu are in the high 40s region.....

my GPU is in the high 30s though... around 38-39...

How is it for you guys?

@powerhoney........... Are u kidding me ?? Those temps seems too low for me
At room temperature, 33 degree Celsius, F1 2012 All Ultra 8XAA, 1 quick race:
CPU is early 70s & GPUs in 58 & 64

Now in room temp. (25-27C), my laptop's CPU touches 80C & GPU 75-78C after 5 min of gaming

Now in idle, my CPU at avg. 57-58C & GPU at 45C. This is usually my idle laptop's idle condition. Some other Y500 user, pls post their laptop's current temp. (idle)

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
@powerhoney........... Are u kidding me ?? Those temps seems too low for me

Now in room temp. (25-27C), my laptop's CPU touches 80C & GPU 75-78C after 5 min of gaming

Now in idle, my CPU at avg. 57-58C & GPU at 45C. This is usually my idle laptop's idle condition. Some other Y500 user, pls post their laptop's current temp. (idle)

Not kidding you, bro... Plus, I just posted what CPUID registered... Maybe I should check with a different tool???:|

Top Bottom