The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

Hrishi

gt640m<gt645m<gt650m ddr3<gt650m ddr5 <gtx660m ddr3 ~ gt750m ddr3

I was posting(referring) about their base chip. They all hail from the same chip but with different quality of silicones.(what you refer to as binning)

And GT650m DDR5 is ahead of GTX660m in certain models. rMBP for instance.
Also , GTX660m exists in GDDR5 state and not in GDDR3.

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
gt640m<gt645m<gt650m ddr3<gt650m ddr5 <gtx660m ddr3 ~ gt750m ddr3

gt640m<gt645m<gt650m ddr3<gt650m ddr5 <gtx660m ddr5 ~ gt750m ddr3<gt 750m ddr5

actually... 750m ddr3 should be about 5-10% slower for higher resolutions while it should be faster by the same margins for 720p

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
can the people with 750m post their ASIC quality? use the program GPU-Z to check your ASIC quality

ASIC quality - quality of the silicon as some referred to as binning, provided by the manufacturer itself.

Hrishi

Hrishi

open up GPU-Z, click the icon in the top left of the window (next to TechPowerUp GPU-Z writing in the window border) and click "Read ASIC Quality"

Thanks , that was helpful. My GPU seems to have ASIC quality of 86% as per GPUz.
It's GT640m DDR3.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
gpu z reads it as 88.6% for gt 750m gdd5
not bad no wonder they built it for such high clocks. my 650m only has 78% :(

a general exaplanation - higher asic quality means less leakage, lower tdp and voltage for the same clocks hence higher overclocking capability. its not an absolute measure of course someone with a high asic quality may break their card overclocking but a lower asic quality one may run more smoothly

Thanks , that was helpful. My GPU seems to have ASIC quality of 86% as per GPUz.
It's GT640m DDR3.

more than my 650m, yet still a 640m :D feel free to overclock it to 750m speeds without worry

can people with 650m post their asic quality results for comparison please

Last edited:

Hrishi

not bad no wonder they built it for such high clocks. my 650m only has 78% :(

a general exaplanation - higher asic quality means less leakage, lower tdp and voltage for the same clocks hence higher overclocking capability. its not an absolute measure of course someone with a high asic quality may break their card overclocking but a lower asic quality one may run more smoothly

more than my 650m, yet still a 640m :D feel free to overclock it to 750m speeds without worry
Haha , you probably didn't looked into my siggy. :p , I have overclocked it close to GTX660m's core clock. Though the memory is a bottleneck in DDR3 variant of 640m GK107.

However I think Gt640m has 32W max TDP. Compared to GT650m with 45W TDP and most of them with ASIC scores above 95%. The GT650m is a great O'clocker.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
I hope you were laughing at the 1st part of my message and not at my pathetic ASIC scores!!!:wink:

dont worry about the asic scores its just a rough measure nothing absolute. plus you have sli i dont see you needing to overclock anytime soon. btw can you post your 3dmark 11 scores under performance mode. download the free version

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
dont worry about the asic scores its just a rough measure nothing absolute. plus you have sli i dont see you needing to overclock anytime soon. btw can you post your 3dmark 11 scores under performance mode. download the free version

Okay, will do that!!! Hope it's reasonably better than the ASIC score... :razz:

Actually both. :devil:
The later makes me feel like a Boss. :p ,just kidding. A GDDR5 GPU is way ahead.

He He... :-D

ASIC Score GT 650M GDDR5 76.4 % :(

Am I the one with the lowest ASIC scores!!!:shock: