The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

Hello Guys!! Finally I am in a unique situation which I can post here to ask for help.

I have a few years old Lenovo Ideapad Y500 and unsurprisingly, its HDD is dying, so I am in need of another HDD. Here comes the bonus : My brother promised to buy me a SSD if i could complete a project for him. So I guess I'll have a SSD in few months as well.

Now this laptop has ULTRABAY feature meaning you can remove the DVD drive n replace it with HDD caddy for additional storage. As I hardly use the DVD drive, I am gonna put it to good use!!

So these are my options:

1. Buy New HDD and replace it the dying one, then later replace it with SSD (terrible choice, waste of at least 1 HDD)
  2. Buy new HDD and replace it the dying one, then buy mSATA SSD and add it to mSATA slot (not bad but waste of money in mSATA SSD)
  3. Buy new HDD with HDD caddy, switch the dying one to caddy and place the new HDD in primary slot. What to do with SSD?

What to do??

Bonus Questions
Is buying mSATA SSD future proof??
Apart from HDD dying, what are the things that may break down in old Laptops??

Good to know that your Y500 is still alive & well.

Do this: Buy new HDD with HDD caddy, place the new one to caddy and SSD in primary slot (or vice versa). Buy a external case for HDD & use your old one as ext one.

Future problems: I'm listing the problems which my friend's Y500 currently has (it is 3+ years old):
- Keyboard problem: "/" gets entered at random places at random times
- Right side ports aren't working
- Excessive heating while gaming resulting in CPU throttling, which results in fps drops mid game. HWMonitor shows CPU temps close to 93C always, GPU above 87C or so.

mSATA isn't futureproof. No new laptops use it. Nowadays everything is M.2

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Good to know that your Y500 is still alive & well.

Do this: Buy new HDD with HDD caddy, place the new one to caddy and SSD in primary slot (or vice versa). Buy a external case for HDD & use your old one as ext one.

Future problems: I'm listing the problems which my friend's Y500 currently has (it is 3+ years old):
- Keyboard problem: "/" gets entered at random places at random times
- Right side ports aren't working
- Excessive heating while gaming resulting in CPU throttling, which results in fps drops mid game. HWMonitor shows CPU temps close to 93C always, GPU above 87C or so.

mSATA isn't futureproof. No new laptops use it. Nowadays everything is M.2

Thanks for the Reply man.. Appreciate it!!

Thankfully, I bought Gamepad and new keyboard to play button smashing games!! So my keyboard is good.. No problems so far..
By right side ports, do you mean Headphone jack?? It already went kaput but it was at the end of 2nd year, so got it replaced at warranty!!
Heating is there.. But I don't game now a days- at least not heavy gaming. I play only indie games!!

Everybody is against buying mSATA, so I am dropping the idea!!

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Update :

Bought WD 250GB SSD after some googling, trail and error method, finally able to install SSD and preserve the OKR.!!

Top Bottom