The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
Can't wait to buy it. When will it be available on Flipkart?

BTW guys, which cooling pad would be good for Y500?

Coolermaster ones are good. For this i suggest you go to the markte and personally see the fit and shape of each cooling pad specially the direction of airflow to your liking. theyre readily available everywhere.

deadzone

Journeyman
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (Dusk Black) - Ideapad - Laptops

Listed on lenovo India official store at 74k.The specs though are not updated but the model number is updated.

So then the price at flipkart is gonna be 72k and local market 70k

Gtb93

In the zone
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (Dusk Black) - Ideapad - Laptops

Listed on lenovo India official store at 74k.The specs though are not updated but the model number is updated.

So then the price at flipkart is gonna be 72k and local market 70k

Post haswell, the price will drop I hope. =D

deadzone

Journeyman
No I don't think so becoz 4th and 3rd generation processors have similar price.....there won't be a big difference in price....

Gtb93

In the zone
Value of the previous gen almost always falls when a new one comes to market. As I said, I'm hopeful.

deadzone

Journeyman
OK prices of 3rd gen will fall .....I though the other way round

Yes.....but the stock of 3rd gen should be there as well...hope :)

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
the model just got refreshed. expect at least a 4 month delay for haswell or a new model altogether. but the actual benefits of haswell that is the intel gpu would be for naught as optimus is not enabled on the y500. a 10-15% increase in cpu hardly seems worth it and completely not for gaming. as for the 750m it has boost up to 960 mhz but seeing how boost is disabled in all y500 models clocks should be around 900mhz. as i posted earlier you can easily have a stable clock of 1100 mhz on the 650m. You guys should look in to buying the 650m model itself and get it at around 64k currently or less after the new model. thats alot of cash saving for just a rebranded gpu. just saying, overclocking is extremely easy. not to mention the increase in tdp in 750m will make for a hotter laptop when honestly most games dont even require the clocks that high.
even the latest games such as metro last light run easily on a non overclocked 650m and anti aliasing is hardly necessary on a 1080p screen, 2x at best. dont fall for the marketing ploys save your wallet.

Last edited:

Gtb93

In the zone
I'm not particularly waiting for haswell on this model. I've got friends in the industry who've hinted at new HP and Dell models coming up with haswell, soon after the expected release. Also, not just with the onboard intel. Intel always sugarcoats and overstates the performance in their ads, so I'm not expecting any great onboard chip that will do wonders! the only thing I'm interested in, and will be the major advantage of haswell over other gens is low power consump, battery life. :)

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
as you correctly said ads are always misleading. who knows how much the actual advantage of haswell will be unless models are released with reviews

as you correctly said ads are always misleading. who knows how much the actual advantage of haswell will be unless models are released with reviews

KyleSforza

Banned
The main reason I got Y500 is 1080p and I don't think GT750M is worth using a 720p screen instead of a 1080p one.
You can't really notice the difference between 1080p and 720p on a 15.6" screen. 1080p display also reduces multitasking capabilities, risks lockups and greatly increases battery drain.

KyleSforza

Banned
Lol wtf I just read.
Agreed with battery one but rest. Lol

Try it yourself, I was recently doing some research. :D Can't really find the difference between 1080p and 720p displays when size is so small :p The last part is quoted from an article on NVIDIA website.

Do this to check :

Visit any TV store, check two LED's side by side, one 720p and other 1080p, same size, preferably 32" or under. Tell me if you notice any difference in video quality. ;)

pratyush997

Inactive
Try it yourself, I was recently doing some research. :D Can't really find the difference between 1080p and 720p displays when size is so small :p The last part is quoted from an article on NVIDIA website.

Try checking out the pixel density in Mac canvas he and Sony Xperia Z.

Fhd over hd is 141 ppi over 117.

KyleSforza

Banned
Try checking out the pixel density in Mac canvas he and Sony Xperia Z

Dude! Different displays will give difference results, like a matte display on a series 5 won't look as good as a glossy one on Y500.

If you want to compare, it should at least be a fair comparison.

I edited my previous post, check the example in that one. ;)

So IMHO Y500 with 720p > Y500 with 1080p

pratyush997

Inactive
Dude! Different displays will give difference results, like a matte display on a series 5 won't look as good as a glossy one on Y500.

If you want to compare, it should at least be a fair comparison.

I edited my previous post, check the example in that one. ;)

So IMHO Y500 with 720p > Y500 with 1080p
You gonna have similar results even if you compare 2 glossy ones.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
^pratyush997 is right dude
There's a tonne of difference between 720p and a 1080p led screen
Granted, the GPU might not be capable of delivering full HD gameplay, itll still be better looking, playing at 1600x900 than at 720p
and dont forget, watching movies in their full HD glory

Nerevarine

Incarnate
If there wasnt a difference, it would be illogical for companies to provide FHD screens on their laptops..
Heck, why would they even have FHD screens on smartphones ?

Top Bottom