The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

"The major problem for this laptop is that lenovo did only two partition one 25GB for drivers to store and another 884GB of C: drive . U cannot shrink the C drive , if u do this then the laptop would corrupt and the one key recovery which these lenovo laptop has at left side of power won't work and u should take to service center and they charge 1200 for re-installing ( which is not a part of warranty) . U cannot install Windows 7 due to drivers not compatible . Lenovo guys didn't gave any windows 8 disc.I tried to shrink the C drive but it corrupted , i then try to install windows 7 then it gave some error - "windows cannot install in gpt partition". So i fixed the mbr with live ubuntu on pendrive and installed windows 7 but due to drvier i cannot use webcam and wifi. And it only starts when pluged in and in battery it wouldn't . So i gone to lenovo service center and re-installed windows 8 for Rs. 1200."

Use inbuilt Windows Partition Manager. Go to Search, then search for "disk", click settings......there should be a "create & format hard disk partition" option

deadzone

Journeyman
Rohanz

How about creating a new drive using the free space available in c drive ( no shrinking).

I am pretty much sure that these can be done using softwares like acronis partition manager.There is also a very good open source partition manager,but at this moment am not able to remember the name of it.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Good news guys, my cousin just bought a Y500 from a local dealer, & it has GT750M. :))
but, comes with 1366x768 screen. he bought it for 68k with CM cooler pad, screen,KB guard... @ Chennai.

I'll post more details later.

H2O

Journeyman
Woah. :-o

Anyway, I went to Flipkart site of Y500. It says "This item is Permanently discontinued". Any reason why that was discontinued?

My friend at Bhubneswar was interested in this laptop after seeing mine. Lenovo dealer told him to wait for 1 week as newer model will be in stock.
He's now waiting..... Looks like GT750M is coming but removing FHD is not a good move

KyleSforza

Banned
Good news guys, my cousin just bought a Y500 from a local dealer, & it has GT750M. :))
but, comes with 1366x768 screen. he bought it for 68k with CM cooler pad, screen,KB guard... @ Chennai.

Whoa! Amazing dude! Now its undoubtedly the best laptop available in India! :D

and Anupam, its actually a good move, as that'll keep the prices low and provide more FPS when gaming. But should had kept it at HD+ at least.

Last edited:

pratyush997

Inactive

Gaming at that resolution with everything maxed out :eek:
AWESOME

rohanz

Journeyman
There is an inbuilt backup..you can see it in the one key recovery menu. (Power off, press the recovery key near the charger port)
You could also create your own backup using the OneKey Recovery software.

Thanks!! I will do that asap!

been using wubi for 3 years. fast and stable for me no crashes.

Isn't it slow? Do you update it. People on ubuntu forums say kernel updates screw both ubuntu and windows.

Yeah lack of WiDi sucks for those want that - personally, don't use it so don't care tbh.

1) 75 with cooling pad off (assuming you were off AC) and playing graphics intensive stuff is really excellent. Y500 has surprisingly good cooling system tbh.
4) Yeah the same thing happened to me re: corrupting the partition :/ That's not lenovo's fault though - with Windows 8 you can't use regular partition managers and do it the usual way apparently. Just use the in built partition resize options and you'll be fine. And yes, it does show OEM info in my system info section - you know with Lenovo customer care number, logo and all that - so I guess it picked up the key eventually.

Okay! Thanks for the info! It is really great! Now to just get an extra battery.

Use inbuilt Windows Partition Manager. Go to Search, then search for "disk", click settings......there should be a "create & format hard disk partition" option

Have you used it?

Rohanz

How about creating a new drive using the free space available in c drive ( no shrinking).

I am pretty much sure that these can be done using softwares like acronis partition manager.There is also a very good open source partition manager,but at this moment am not able to remember the name of it.

I think that screws up windows 8 too!

The main reason I got Y500 is 1080p and I don't think GT750M is worth using a 720p screen instead of a 1080p one.
This touchpad is the worst. I can't drag things properly, scrolling with the touch pad is a pain. Multitouch is really bad. Is it like that for everyone? I have the synaptic one, but haven't upgraded the drivers (FUP FUU!!!).

Do you guys have a G+ community or a facebook group? If not please can someone make one?

Last edited:

ariftwister

Truth Seeker

I'm also from Chennai, can you say from which retailer he brought..??

PS: I Just bought this laptop yesterday with 650m, but the graphics memory is showing 4GB??
Is it glitch? Btw I checked from dxdiag app

Gtb93

In the zone
Re: Importing from US

There is ongoing offer in Lenovo US website. GT750M version is available for 849$ + FS.

Total cost to import to india is 57000Rs through US shipping company [HSG].

Here is the link to buy from US.

Approximate duty cost breakup link

HSG is trusted shipping company. I imported three google nexus 4 from US. You can give a try.

HSG will ship a 4kg product for 40$?

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
Isn't it slow? Do you update it. People on ubuntu forums say kernel updates screw both ubuntu and windows.
yeah i update it regularly. everything works perfectly. and does not screw up windows by any chance. and i say this because i had a vista and still no problems

also official 3d mark benchmarks from their website
650m - 2189
750m - 2338

as i said its just slightly overclocked, same chip. whats the fuss about 750m? anyone can simply increase their clocks. and the difference is barely there. but a tradeoff of 1080p screen in the new models thats a huge blow. i recommend anyone buying the old model lol. not to mention you can always lower the resolution in case games dont run or overclock, but you cant up the resolution and the high ppi count really makes a difference than 1366x768 screens. i cant even look at my old laptop anymore

I'm also from Chennai, can you say from which retailer he brought..??

PS: I Just bought this laptop yesterday with 650m, but the graphics memory is showing 4GB??
Is it glitch? Btw I checked from dxdiag app
Not a glitch shared memory of 2gb from ram is also used

Last edited:
Thanks!! I will do that asap!
Have you used it?

The main reason I got Y500 is 1080p and I don't think GT750M is worth using a 720p screen instead of a 1080p one.
This touchpad is the worst. I can drag things properly, scrolling with the touch pad is a pain. Multitouch is really bad. Is it like that for everyone? I have the synaptic one, but haven't upgraded the drivers (FUP FUU!!!).

Do you guys have a G+ community or a facebook group? If not please can someone make one?

I've used Windows partition manager to partition my HDD, actually shrink C drive.
You will get used to touch pad & gestures soon...u will like it afterwards..still dragging is a bit of a problem for me

G+ community

I still think 1080p display is better. Its better for watching movies...now after 4 months, I don't like 720p display. When games are concerned, a bit old games like CoD MW3 runs at max. in FHD with 2xAA...that's a good thing, but when newer games are concerned, you have option to reduce the resolution.... Come on guys 1080p display is anyday better than 720p one(1366x768)

Last edited:

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
btw has anyone tried overclocking the 650m the clocks seemed locked.

EDIT: managed to overclock. temps and everything stable. running at 1000mhz i can run crysis 3 on 1080p max + aa

Last edited:

jamiejako

Broken In
This touchpad is the worst. I can drag things properly, scrolling with the touch pad is a pain. Multitouch is really bad. Is it like that for everyone? I have the synaptic one, but haven't upgraded the drivers (FUP FUU!!!).

upgrade the drivers bro, huge difference.

rohanz

Journeyman
I've used Windows partition manager to partition my HDD, actually shrink C drive.
You will get used to touch pad & gestures soon...u will like it afterwards..still dragging is a bit of a problem for me

G+ community

Can you link me to a page where all the gestures are listed?
I meant a community or group just for the y500 users.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
Can you link me to a page where all the gestures are listed?
I meant a community or group just for the y500 users.

the gestures are self explanatory in the synaptics app. however if you want additional gestures via registry tweaking, it doesnt work on the newer drivers as i tried only on the stock synaptics drivers. though the only useful additional gesture was 3 tap for middle click. the new synatpics drivers have other features such as one finger scroll and circular/chiral scroll but no 3 finger tap.

can i suggest this for dragging. the lower part of the touchpad where the separator for right and left click is you can press and hold that independently during dragging. that is one finger pressed on left click, the other finger you can drag across the touchpad to move icons or whatever. the lower part of the touchpad is not influenced by finger movement on the lower side. you can think of it as when you are pressing the left click manually , it acts as a separate button. while it is pressed you can drag files around with your other finger.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
synaptics website

Just did some benchmarks on 3DMark 11
Stock clock - 2286
Clocks 1000/2350 ( gpu, memory ) - 2786
Clocks 1100/2550 - 3139

This GPU sure does have serious overclocking power. Temps were stable at 66C on 1100/2550 and even cool on the lap. you can easily play any game you want on 1080p. The 750m should like around 2500 judging by its clocks.
As expected the physics score remains same as it depends on the cpu.

you should easily be able to push it to 1200/2700 for a score of at least 3300 maintaining stability, which is over a 45% increase in performance which is quite remarkable for a laptop of this size.
For reference notebookcheck quotes a 3dmark score of 3560 for 650m SLI

stock.JPGOC 1000-2350.JPG

Last edited:

deadzone

Journeyman
Coming soon at flipkart

Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-379647) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) - Lenovo: Flipkart.com

Its written as full HD and elan touchpad ?

Top Bottom