The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

KyleSforza

Banned
If there wasnt a difference, it would be illogical for companies to provide FHD screens on their laptops..
Heck, why would they even have FHD screens on smartphones ?

Because you know, marketing strategies, race to get ahead of others.

Is the difference between 1080P and 720P noticeable on 32 HD TV? - Blu-ray Forum

pratyush997

Inactive

Is the difference between 1080P and 720P noticeable on 32 HD TV? - Blu-ray Forum
Open up a game, select 720p resolution first and then select 1080p and play. You'll know what I'm talking about

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Dude, its a difference between natively rendered 1080p versus stretched 720p on the same 15.6 inchscreen
ofcourse there will be a difference/...

Nerevarine

Incarnate

In TVs, it will be a different story, because we dont watch TVs upclose.. It would be "harder" for our eyes to resolve all 1080p pixels sitting a few feet away, therefore, 1080p and 720p might look the same

Here on the otherhand, we are comparing laptops and there WILL be a noticeable difference

KyleSforza

Banned
Dude, its a difference between natively rendered 1080p versus stretched 720p on the same 15.6 inchscreen
ofcourse there will be a difference/...
I never said there won't be a resolution difference, its basically the quality difference, which will be none there on a screen as small as this.

720p vs 1080p - A Comparison - one more.

Yes, but remember, laptop displays are more similar to TV displays than cell phone displays. Also notice the average distance to notice the difference on a 32" TV is 4 feet, Lappies are half of that. So the distance will be even lower.

You might notice a difference you stare your head in the laptop.. but err that'd be stupid.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I never said there won't be a resolution difference, its basically the quality difference, which will be none there on a screen as small as this.

again, its a comparision of TVs, here we are talking about a laptop
human eye can easily separate pixels upclose on a laptop

pratyush997

Inactive

Yes, but remember, laptop displays are more similar to TV displays than cell phone displays. Also notice the average distance to notice the difference on a 32" TV is 4 feet, Lappies are half of that. So the distance will be even lower.

You might notice a difference you stare your head in the laptop.. but err that'd be stupid.

TV got bigger screen, viewing distance is more than the one in case of laptops.
Display size, ppi, viewing distance are the factors that should be considered.

You are comparing the TV case to lappy

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
@KyleSforza
Just logged in after a long time to ask you to stop trolling on this thread...
Yeah, I get it that you like like your Samsung Series 5 - NP550P5C-S03 very much... It seems to be the best bet for you... But, that seems like a case of sour grapes for me... And, 1080p>720p anyday and anywhere... Its better in a TV, Lappy, cell... Hell, I'll bet it'll be better even in a watch display!!!:razz::mrgreen: You like your screens matte... Good!!! You can play for hours in the sun with no eye strain whatsoever!!! Wow...
You like your laptops classy looking... Goood!!! Have fun taking them to board meetings!!! Why the hell did you get one with a dedicated graphics card if you wanted to take it to a Board Meeting...:mrgreen:
@Mods:
Please clean up this thread... I was following this for a few weeks as I am looking for a new lappy for my cousin but it has become more of a "flame-wars" thread now!!! :-x

KyleSforza

Banned
Wat? ^ Who's flaming who? and please come with proofs as I did. :p Also mention which one of my posts feel like a sour grapes story? :p

If you didn't notice, we were comparing displays of 720p Y500(newer) and 1080p Y500(older), not Series 5 to Y500. Please update yourself.

Why I chose a lappy with GT650M? Because its currently the best in the Indian market. And I'm a graphic designer so it comes handy there. ;)

Last edited:

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
the site says ( lenovo ) and flipkart that the new y500 has 1080p screen. why you guys getting all crazy

as for the stupid flame war going on, dude why do you keep comparing tvs whats wrong with you. even my 46 inch looks good while playing 1366x768 videos but for my laptop my old one was a 720p one and the 1080p screen is soooo much different. normal videos look more or less same but games are truly different. not to mention every other thing you do like web browsing etc.
As for the battery consumption you guys forget that 720p displays have less max brightness than 1080p, however the pixels are smaller in a 1080p screen. setting the same brightness on both displays will have more or less the same battery impact so you cant compare it in that way. the 650m is also powerful enough to play games in 1080p. so theres no logical reason why anyone would prefer a 720p screen over a 1080p screen.

Last edited:

rohanz

Journeyman
the site says ( lenovo ) and flipkart that the new y500 has 1080p screen. why you guys getting all crazy

as for the stupid flame war going on, dude why do you keep comparing tvs whats wrong with you. even my 46 inch looks good while playing 1366x768 videos but for my laptop my old one was a 720p one and the 1080p screen is soooo much different. normal videos look more or less same but games are truly different. not to mention every other thing you do like web browsing etc.
As for the battery consumption you guys forget that 720p displays have less max brightness than 1080p, however the pixels are smaller in a 1080p screen. setting the same brightness on both displays will have more or less the same battery impact so you cant compare it in that way. the 650m is also powerful enough to play games in 1080p. so theres no logical reason why anyone would prefer a 720p screen over a 1080p screen.

You really think they will give 750M without increasing the price or downgrading a few components?

Btw text just looks great on a 1080p display which is a real plus for hackers.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
You really think they will give 750M without increasing the price or downgrading a few components?

Btw text just looks great on a 1080p display which is a real plus for hackers.
of course they will increase the price. its listed at 74k for the 750m model and earlier it quoted 70k for the 650m model. thats a 4k increase for the 750m everything else remaining the same

KyleSforza

Banned

TVs were just an example, I'll leave it to Pratyush to explain what I meant about 720p and 1080p. Its not what you think it is, as Pratyush and I had a 4 hour long debate on facebook about it and even he agreed to my point in the end, so would anyone. If we continued here, this topic would had crossed 100+ pages. xD

I'll go to sleep now and I think he can explain my point better. :p

+ I'm yet to understand what 'flame war' hype all about is. On international forums a flame wars is when people start cursing each other and such. Here on thinkdigit you guys take debates as flame wars?

pratyush997

Inactive
TVs were just an example, I'll leave it to Pratyush to explain what I meant about 720p and 1080p. Its not what you think it is, as Pratyush and I had a 4 hour long debate on facebook about it and even he agreed to my point in the end.
NOt completely agreed though :D

cmon guys u r deviating from d main discussion.....its a y500 thread....y u wasting so much time on screen resolution....u wanna buy it wid fhd or no fhd....go ahead....do wat u want.....but in dis thread.....plz lets jus talk abt y500 nd its availability issues...

Top Bottom