The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

@Kyle : What's the problem with u ? Just can't admit that a 1080p display is better...... consider phones 300+ ppi can't be distinguished by human eye but we have 400+ ppi phones. Just see S3 & S4 side by side in a smartphone cafe..... u will see the difference...

For TVs viewing distance is large......much larger than laptops & much much larger than that of phones. More the pixels, the better the display, why is it then that companies are spending a lot in R&D for developing cheaper displays with more resolution(4k, 8k,..) ?

@KyleSforza
Just logged in after a long time to ask you to stop trolling on this thread...
Yeah, I get it that you like like your Samsung Series 5 - NP550P5C-S03 very much... It seems to be the best bet for you... But, that seems like a case of sour grapes for me... And, 1080p>720p anyday and anywhere... Its better in a TV, Lappy, cell... Hell, I'll bet it'll be better even in a watch display!!!:razz::mrgreen: You like your screens matte... Good!!! You can play for hours in the sun with no eye strain whatsoever!!! Wow...
You like your laptops classy looking... Goood!!! Have fun taking them to board meetings!!!
Why the hell did you get one with a dedicated graphics card if you wanted to take it to a Board Meeting...:mrgreen:
@Mods:
Please clean up this thread...
I was following this for a few weeks as I am looking for a new lappy for my cousin but it has become more of a "flame-wars" thread now!!! :-x

Agree with the points mentioned in bold

In US the lenovo y500 GT750 is available for 46k INR whereas in India it sells for 74k INR

In India, people mostly spend 50k for a laptop. No one usually has a laptop of 60k+. There are no laptops better than Y500 in India....except Alienware......No gaming laptops from ASUS, MSI, etc. Companies know that there are very less buyers for 70k+ laptops, so they just don't launch it here. More pricing here can also be due to the duties, as the laptops are wholly imported, not assembled even a bit here. In US, they might be atleast assembling the laptop there, even if parts are Made in China.

deadzone

Journeyman
Anupam,

You are right but things are changing.I guess it will take some time for manufacturers to trust the growing Indian buyers.

But the price difference is huge. :(

jamiejako

Broken In
Hey does anyone have a link to the one key recovery software for win8?
I can't seem to find it on the lenovo website.

Last edited:

H2O

Journeyman
the model just got refreshed. expect at least a 4 month delay for haswell or a new model altogether. but the actual benefits of haswell that is the intel gpu would be for naught as optimus is not enabled on the y500. a 10-15% increase in cpu hardly seems worth it and completely not for gaming. as for the 750m it has boost up to 960 mhz but seeing how boost is disabled in all y500 models clocks should be around 900mhz. as i posted earlier you can easily have a stable clock of 1100 mhz on the 650m. You guys should look in to buying the 650m model itself and get it at around 64k currently or less after the new model. thats alot of cash saving for just a rebranded gpu. just saying, overclocking is extremely easy. not to mention the increase in tdp in 750m will make for a hotter laptop when honestly most games dont even require the clocks that high.
even the latest games such as metro last light run easily on a non overclocked 650m and anti aliasing is hardly necessary on a 1080p screen, 2x at best. dont fall for the marketing ploys save your wallet.

So you think it would be better if I go with the 650M model rather than the 750M model?

KyleSforza

Banned
Agree with the points mentioned in bold
If you agree with that, then you guys should stay happy with what you own since you own the best laptop in this universe according to you, oh the ultimate laptop we all praise! Suit yourself. And don't come to our Series 5 thread bragging (or should I say, moaning) about it. :p

HeRock

Broken In
Hey guys I after going through this whole thread (honest!) .. I finally decided to go for Y500 .. but I am now a whole new dilemma ... Should I wait for the Y500 GT750m version or just get the GT650m version? Its kinda hard to wait... even if I wait any ETA for the GT750m version? :-?

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
My cousin bought the new version Y500 with 750m from dot com computers , shanthi colony road, Anna Nagar, Chennai

which s/w shows all info of hardware in one screen/window?

pls tell a s/w / app of smaller size (5MB?)

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
My cousin bought the new version Y500 with 750m from dot com computers , shanthi colony road, Anna Nagar, Chennai

which s/w shows all info of hardware in one screen/window?

pls tell a s/w / app of smaller size (5MB?)

run dxdiag. its preinstalled in windows

So you think it would be better if I go with the 650M model rather than the 750M model?

it is up to you but i believe its all just a marketing gimmick as its always been. of course i wont say it would be better but it most definitely will be at least the same. ive been around long enough as you can see from my join date to know all this. settle for the cheaper 650m. as you can see from my benchmark results its EASILY capable of surpassing the stock 750m. Not to mention the 750m on y500 also has boost disabled. and browsing other forums they say that the new 750m stock has cheaper thermal paste which results in increased temperatures although im not verifying this

for anyone still skeptical. the 750m is the exact chip as the 650m. it just features newer software overclocking technologies and higher stock clock. everything else is exactly the same

Hey guys I after going through this whole thread (honest!) .. I finally decided to go for Y500 .. but I am now a whole new dilemma ... Should I wait for the Y500 GT750m version or just get the GT650m version? Its kinda hard to wait... even if I wait any ETA for the GT750m version? :-?

Read above

Hey does anyone have a link to the one key recovery software for win8?
I can't seem to find it on the lenovo website.
it should be preinstalled. its also on the drivers on D:\ drive.

Can someone post the number of fps they are getting with BF3 and NFS MW2 for comparison?

on 1080p ultra preset
stock - 18~20 fps
overclocked to 1000/2350 - 28~30 fps

method used - internal fps detector

Last edited:

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
Thanks bro, the link is solid.
I formatted the entire hdd and installed a fresh win8 pro..didn't backup the drivers.

you could also create a system image and back it to an external drive if you want. creating a system image is part of windows no need to download anything else

btw if anyone else hasnt noticed lenovo does not include the dolby home theater v4 software in the y500 which is mentioned in the sticker as a feature it has... its a great software just google around this for y500 and youll find download links for it.

*support.lenovo.com/en_IN/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS027444

jamiejako

Broken In
you could also create a system image and back it to an external drive if you want. creating a system image is part of windows no need to download anything else

hey the link for the one key recovery is for win7..it says driver initialization failed..is there a win8 specific version?
also, if i create a system image from windows, will i be able to restore using it from the onekey recovery?
if there is no link, could you dropbox your setup file maybe?

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
hey the link for the one key recovery is for win7..it says driver initialization failed..is there a win8 specific version?
also, if i create a system image from windows, will i be able to restore using it from the onekey recovery?
if there is no link, could you dropbox your setup file maybe?

im not sure if one key is compatible with windows image. lemme upload onekey for you. can you try pressing the novo key when your laptop is shut down and see what happens

anyways here it is *www.dropbox.com/s/7jdksau4mn4i04f/onekey.rar

Last edited:

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
I'd happily game on full graphics settings at 720p rather than 1080p. btw FHD gaming on 15.6" doesnt make sense.
It makes huge difference on 21.5" FHD monitor though, as i can 'see' more details, sharpness...

My cous is enjoying BF3 right now :p

OP
n3rd

n3rd

In the zone
TV got bigger screen, viewing distance is more than the one in case of laptops.
Display size, ppi, viewing distance are the factors that should be considered.

You are comparing the TV case to lappy

I still think the difference is overrated. Obviously it's not the same as TV - but 720p+ everything is just bragging rights more or less IMO. There are far more important factors than mere resolution from there - say contrast ratio for eg.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
I still think the difference is overrated. Obviously it's not the same as TV - but 720p+ everything is just bragging rights more or less IMO. There are far more important factors than mere resolution from there - say contrast ratio for eg.

thats true but saying 720p is better than 1080p would be wrong... i mean how much does someone really game. not to mention all games run fluently on 1080p to begin with, and comparing myself on both screens there is a good difference. whether or not someone notices it or does not notice it is different. Some people can some people cant. i am one of the people who can others cant and thats fine. its personal preference. a 1080p screen is better for everyday tasks too. as i said how much does someone really game, 24 hours a day everyday? myself ive noticed in the 4 years ive owned my laptop i barely gamed for 2 months in totality. the other 3 years and 10 months were on tasks that wouldve been beter on a 1080p screen

from a gaming point of view the argument comes when 1080p gaming is not possible. as of now all games run fluently

Last edited:
Top Bottom