The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

tnny9

Broken In
hi guys,

Looking for full hd laptop (1080p) in 15 inches.
Was thinking about Lenovo Y500 or Samsung 5 Series.

Should I wait for few months or not considering intel gonna launch new set of processors next month?

Regards

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
@OP: can you update the 1st post with the list of y500 owners?

So it will be helpful for the new users who want to buy y500 (so that they will ask doubt about this laptop)

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
hi guys,

Should I wait for few months or not considering intel gonna launch new set of processors next month?

Regards

it depends on what you want. for gaming processors dont play an important role. the new haswell processors have new integrated gpus with twice the performance of current gen but since y500 doesnt have optimus it is pointless. i suggeset you buy one now instead of waiting for it. as for the new 750m graphics card it is an overclocked gk107 chip or basically an overclocked 650m.

as for the samsung series 5 i believe it does not have a 1080p screen.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Compile a list for me, I'll ad to the OP :p

#n3rd
#anupam_pb
#anikesh102
#vignesh92
#avs
#himanshuchopra
#jamiejako
#sougat
#sanemate
#prateeks
#scudmissile007
#techno_chrat
#badgeabhishek
#entrana

correct me if I have left anyone or added anyone wrongly..

Last edited:

techno_chrat

Broken In
I brought my y500 back from the service center after 8 days..the not so technically informed engineer told me that the ODD is replaced but the front panel which has the button to eject has a defect and is a different part and now that has to be replaced..he left me speechless..i have given a call to the support line but they would take a complain only after the previous complain is closed..other than that ,the system is running very hot especially the track pad and region on the left side..the idle running temp with the browser is min:56c max:70c and is averaging around 62c..what is the normal running temp for all of you'll?

OP
n3rd

n3rd

In the zone
I brought my y500 back from the service center after 8 days..the not so technically informed engineer told me that the ODD is replaced but the front panel which has the button to eject has a defect and is a different partcand now that has to be replaced..he left me speechless..i have given a call to the support line but they would take a complain only after the previous complain is closed..other than that ,the system is running very hot especially the track pad and region on the left side..the idle running temp with the browser is min:56c max:70c and is averaging around 62c..what is the normal running temp for all of you'll?

Mine's around 51-52 with browser maxing on 60 with lots of tabs with flash etc. GPU at 46. Either way you shouldn't feel lot of heat near touchpad - even with heavy gaming my touchpad remains relatively cool. Unless of course you're exaggerating here a bit.

PS: The keyboard going crazy while always on USB option still persists yeah? Damn :( Would've been so cool to have that.

techno_chrat

Broken In
Mine's around 51-52 with browser maxing on 60 with lots of tabs with flash etc. GPU at 46. Either way you shouldn't feel lot of heat near touchpad - even with heavy gaming my touchpad remains relatively cool. Unless of course you're exaggerating here a bit.

PS: The keyboard going crazy while always on USB option still persists yeah? Damn :( Would've been so cool to have that.
Not exaggerating at all..the temp even in complete idle condition is relatively more..the touch pad is definitely more than warm so are the other parts of the laptop..this has never happened before even during gaming modestly..it started after the trip to the service center..any advice?

Not exaggerating at all..the temp even in complete idle condition is relatively more..the touch pad is definitely more than warm so are the other parts of the laptop..this has never happened before even during gaming modestly..it started after the trip to the service center..any advice?

What's the room temperature? When my surrounding temperature was 45C, my laptop's average temperature was around 60C & even there was keyboard malfunction with Always ON USB turned on. Now when surrounding temperature is lower everything works fine, even with Always ON USB

OP
n3rd

n3rd

In the zone
What's the room temperature? When my surrounding temperature was 45C, my laptop's average temperature was around 60C & even there was keyboard malfunction with Always ON USB turned on. Now when surrounding temperature is lower everything works fine, even with Always ON USB

Yeah probably it's the room temperature being high - obviously then the cooling would be less effective. But I dunno, given that he has this post servicing - would there be any trapped dust or something?

Always ON USB still doesn't work for me FTR - I mean it does work, but Keyboard goes crazy. Had to disable and pull out battery to restore sanity.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
My idle temps are 42c for gpu and 49 for cpu. i suggest you try using the dust removal feature in the lenovo power management app. maybe theres some dust clogged in

OP
n3rd

n3rd

In the zone
My idle temps are 42c for gpu and 49 for cpu. i suggest you try using the dust removal feature in the lenovo power management app. maybe theres some dust clogged in

I honestly think that's a gimmick - blowing fans at high speeds won't propel dust out - if anything that might actually suck more dust in IMO. Use a compressed air can for best results - shouldn't cost much.

KyleSforza

Banned
hi guys,

Regards

You should wait till August/September, as newer gen Series 7 GPUs are coming :D and yes, new gen of intel processors too. If in a hurry, go for Y500 eyes closed!

pratyush997

Inactive
mine's around 51-52 with browser maxing on 60 with lots of tabs with flash etc. Gpu at 46. Either way you shouldn't feel lot of heat near touchpad - even with heavy gaming my touchpad remains relatively cool. Unless of course you're exaggerating here a bit.

Ps: The keyboard going crazy while always on usb option still persists yeah? Damn :( would've been so cool to have that.
60 whut?

Top Bottom