The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

techno_chrat

Broken In
What's the room temperature? When my surrounding temperature was 45C, my laptop's average temperature was around 60C & even there was keyboard malfunction with Always ON USB turned on. Now when surrounding temperature is lower everything works fine, even with Always ON USB
The ambient temperature should not be more than 40c. I have the laptop next to my desktop on the table with enough room for ventilation. I have reluctantly done a restore and then run the dust removal mode without much effect. Right now i am running a browser with 8 tabs, the system plugged in and net running on ethernet. The temp is ranging from 65c-70c. Is this normal?

techno_chrat

Broken In
As long its only a common occurrence of variable temperature depending on the load conditions and the room temperature I am not really worried. I am not acquainted with gaming in a laptop environment. Happy gaming fellas!
P.S: Just bought a CM xornet and a Razer Mat. I wont be stepping out of my room any time soon

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
And finally I'm getting this beast in a few days... :cool:

How to check the manufacturing date? Where is it displayed?

How to check that my laptop has synoptics touchpad and not ELAN?

Besides touchpad and being heavy are there any flaws with this laptop?

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
And finally I'm getting this beast in a few days... :cool:

How to check the manufacturing date? Where is it displayed?

How to check that my laptop has synoptics touchpad and not ELAN?

Besides touchpad and being heavy are there any flaws with this laptop?
bro on the side of the box it mentions the manufacturing date. mine had march 2013 written only and it ended up synaptics. you can additionally check by going in device manager to confirm it is synaptics although that should not be needed. make sure it is sealed properly. there do not seem to be any other flaws with this laptop at least externally. also the synaptics touchpad itself is not perfect. the separate button ones are the best, but the one this will do.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
bro on the side of the box it mentions the manufacturing date. mine had march 2013 written only and it ended up synaptics. you can additionally check by going in device manager to confirm it is synaptics although that should not be needed. make sure it is sealed properly. there do not seem to be any other flaws with this laptop at least externally. also the synaptics touchpad itself is not perfect. the separate button ones are the best, but the one this will do.

Thanks bro.. I will check it..
Yeah the separate buttons will be better but let me try the gestures and decide..

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
Thanks bro.. I will check it..
Yeah the separate buttons will be better but let me try the gestures and decide..
dont worry you get used to it. it does have all the features including extras but drag and drop or drag and select is a huge pain. plus the pointer acts crazy when you try to click with the integrated buttons. overall its not bad.

rohanz

Journeyman
I have a few questions :

1) My laptop went to 70C when room temperature was about 38C, playing BF3 Ultra at 1080p (lid closed, was using my 22' monitor). With light use (browser) it stays at 50C.
Untitled1.jpg
Is there a way by which I can keep it cool? (other than the obvious ones) Also the cooling pad that I have sucks air out of the bottom of the laptop, where we have the Air intake(?) does that not defeat the purpose of having it in the first place? Would it not make the laptop even more hot?
2) Is there a way by which I can enable integrated graphics instead of GT650 on battery? That would help the battery backup a lot!
3) Which anti-virus do you guys recommend?
4) Also can I back up Win 8 somehow? I want to partition the HDD and install Ubuntu on it, but from what I know I'll lose my Win 8 license if I format my laptop manually.

Bought this laptop in february. Had the same touch-pad problem. Lenovo's crappy ASS delayed fixing it for about 2 months. Filed an online complaint in consumer court for consumer harassment and mis-guidance YESTERDAY. Though only a token number was generated. No fee etc.
Called the technical support, told them about the coplaint, now they are bringing in a new touchpad to fix it TODAY.
<EVIL LAUGH> :mrgreen::cool::p

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
I have a few questions :

2) Is there a way by which I can enable integrated graphics instead of GT650 on battery? That would help the battery backup a lot!

Intel HD 4000 is disabled on this laptop in hardware level so you have only one choice - GT650m

OP
n3rd

n3rd

In the zone
I have a few questions :

1) My laptop went to 70C when room temperature was about 38C, playing BF3 Ultra at 1080p (lid closed, was using my 22' monitor). With light use (browser) it stays at 50C.
View attachment 10751
Is there a way by which I can keep it cool? (other than the obvious ones) Also the cooling pad that I have sucks air out of the bottom of the laptop, where we have the Air intake(?) does that not defeat the purpose of having it in the first place? Would it not make the laptop even more hot?
4) Also can I back up Win 8 somehow? I want to partition the HDD and install Ubuntu on it, but from what I know I'll lose my Win 8 license if I format my laptop manually.
1) You do realize that 70 is extremely good for what you're doing right? I mean people with Samsung series 5 laptops get 90-100 all the time and still use it for gaming. Is 70 with cooling pad? It's a laptop mind - not a gaming rig.
2) No.
3) Kaspersky if you can afford it. I've tried various - including Avira, McAfee, AVG, Avast!, Microsoft (horrible IMHO) and personally KAS detected viruses that bypassed many of the above AVs. Otherwise I think Avira or Avast.
4) As far as you don't screw up the partition tables entirely (I did) you should be fine (there's already a recovery partition that you can restore using lenovo onekey recovery). And funnily enough, I tried on a random Windows 8 copy and it's now using the OEM license anyways :) So guess you should be safe.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
I have a few questions :

View attachment 10751

4) can i just suggest you use wubi for ubuntu. it installs ubuntu on windows like a program so you dont need a separate partition.

rohanz

Journeyman
Intel HD 4000 is disabled on this laptop in hardware level so you have only one choice - GT650m

What is wrong with lenovo? :|

1) You do realize that 70 is extremely good for what you're doing right? I mean people with Samsung series 5 laptops get 90-100 all the time and still use it for gaming. Is 70 with cooling pad? It's a laptop mind - not a gaming rig.
2) No.
3) Kaspersky if you can afford it. I've tried various - including Avira, McAfee, AVG, Avast!, Microsoft (horrible IMHO) and personally KAS detected viruses that bypassed many of the above AVs. Otherwise I think Avira or Avast.
4) As far as you don't screw up the partition tables entirely (I did) you should be fine (there's already a recovery partition that you can restore using lenovo onekey recovery). And funnily enough, I tried on a random Windows 8 copy and it's now using the OEM license anyways :) So guess you should be safe.

1) *75. No, the cooling pad was off.
4) Thanks! Are you sure that license of windows 8 got validated automatically?
I saw this on thinkdigit site
"The major problem for this laptop is that lenovo did only two partition one 25GB for drivers to store and another 884GB of C: drive . U cannot shrink the C drive , if u do this then the laptop would corrupt and the one key recovery which these lenovo laptop has at left side of power won't work and u should take to service center and they charge 1200 for re-installing ( which is not a part of warranty) . U cannot install Windows 7 due to drivers not compatible . Lenovo guys didn't gave any windows 8 disc.I tried to shrink the C drive but it corrupted , i then try to install windows 7 then it gave some error - "windows cannot install in gpt partition". So i fixed the mbr with live ubuntu on pendrive and installed windows 7 but due to drvier i cannot use webcam and wifi. And it only starts when pluged in and in battery it wouldn't . So i gone to lenovo service center and re-installed windows 8 for Rs. 1200."

4) can i just suggest you use wubi for ubuntu. it installs ubuntu on windows like a program so you dont need a separate partition.

I will use that as a last resort.

Last edited:
I have a few questions :

View attachment 10751

1- 70C is fine, don't worry. I usually get 75-78C. Got 80+C when room temp. was 43C. If u want lower temp. , get a cooler pad from Cooler Master.
2- No
3- I'm using KIS 2013, but BitDefender is also great(bit cheaper than Kaspersky)
4- Use the method mentioned above. My friend uses a Linux OS inside Windows using some software like that of virtual box. How about installing Ubuntu in an external HDD ? Anyone tried it

rohanz

Journeyman
1- 70C is fine, don't worry. I usually get 75-78C. Got 80+C when room temp. was 43C. If u want lower temp. , get a cooler pad from Cooler Master.
2- No
3- I'm using KIS 2013, but BitDefender is also great(bit cheaper than Kaspersky)
4- Use the method mentioned above. My friend uses a Linux OS inside Windows using some software like that of virtual box. How about installing Ubuntu in an external HDD ? Anyone tried it

Wubi is not stable, it is a rather short term solution than long term.
That can be done and is pretty easy, but it will be slow as hell. I have tried it.

jamiejako

Broken In
I have a few questions :

There is an inbuilt backup..you can see it in the one key recovery menu. (Power off, press the recovery key near the charger port)
You could also create your own backup using the OneKey Recovery software.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
Wubi is not stable, it is a rather short term solution than long term.
That can be done and is pretty easy, but it will be slow as hell. I have tried it.

been using wubi for 3 years. fast and stable for me no crashes.

OP
n3rd

n3rd

In the zone
What is wrong with lenovo? :|

1) *75. No, the cooling pad was off.
4) Thanks! Are you sure that license of windows 8 got validated automatically?
I saw this on thinkdigit site
"The major problem for this laptop is that lenovo did only two partition one 25GB for drivers to store and another 884GB of C: drive . U cannot shrink the C drive , if u do this then the laptop would corrupt and the one key recovery which these lenovo laptop has at left side of power won't work and u should take to service center and they charge 1200 for re-installing ( which is not a part of warranty) . U cannot install Windows 7 due to drivers not compatible . Lenovo guys didn't gave any windows 8 disc.I tried to shrink the C drive but it corrupted , i then try to install windows 7 then it gave some error - "windows cannot install in gpt partition". So i fixed the mbr with live ubuntu on pendrive and installed windows 7 but due to drvier i cannot use webcam and wifi. And it only starts when pluged in and in battery it wouldn't . So i gone to lenovo service center and re-installed windows 8 for Rs. 1200."

I will use that as a last resort.
Yeah lack of WiDi sucks for those want that - personally, don't use it so don't care tbh.

1) 75 with cooling pad off (assuming you were off AC) and playing graphics intensive stuff is really excellent. Y500 has surprisingly good cooling system tbh.
4) Yeah the same thing happened to me re: corrupting the partition :/ That's not lenovo's fault though - with Windows 8 you can't use regular partition managers and do it the usual way apparently. Just use the in built partition resize options and you'll be fine. And yes, it does show OEM info in my system info section - you know with Lenovo customer care number, logo and all that - so I guess it picked up the key eventually.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Bought this laptop today.. And it's awesome.. Touchpad isn't a nightmare as I thought so.. But Windows 8 is really annoying me.

Top Bottom