The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

anirbanhere

Broken In
No no no, thou shall bow down to 3d mark, always, and forget FHD, get 640x480 cause that will run games so cool, better yet get a 320x240 and play all games at 1000FPS, because that what counts right? Moar FPS, forget quality, and if it loses to even one laptop in 3dmark, throw it out of the balcony, you must always have better performance, quality is for noobs, who needs a better screen, look at my stupid friend, he bought a 1080P monitor to play games using his HD7850, what a noob, he should have suck to 1600x900, cause who needs 1080P, 1600x900 is just as good, and where are those stupid people who buy mac books, retina, pffft :D :D

Rofl! Do you know that human eye can register only 10-11 frames per second, so movies and videos have around 25-30 fps. but for gaming when u are moving and interacting with surroundings (gaming feedback mechanism) this doubles. so a very smooth fps would be 60FPS. Anything above that u wont notice any difference. And sacrificing resolution for fps above 60fps is plain stupid. U may boast that I have 1000FPS but the thing is that , what is playable at 60 FPS (better resolution) is also same playable at 1000FPS without anything u can register, unless being a superhero like flash or SP with spider sense.:mrgreen:

tkin

Back to school!!
Rofl! Do you know that human eye can register only 10-11 frames persecond, so movies and videos have around 25-30 fps. but for gaming when u are moving and interacting with surroindings (gaming feedback mechanism) this doubles. so a very smooth fps would be 60FPS. Anything above that u wont notice any difference. And sacrificing resolution for fps above 60fps is plain stupid. U may boast that I have 1000FPS but the thing is that , what is playable at 60 FPS (better resolution) is also same playable at 1000FPS without anything u can register, unless being a superhero like flash or SP with spider sense.:mrgreen:
Don't you see the sarcasm in my post :p ;)

anirbanhere

Broken In
While playing game, if power goes off , then the game should run smoothly for atleast 5-10 minutes so that I can reach checkpoint or finish the race

Actually this model doesn't have nvidia optimus afaik. So when u are on battery 650m is disabled intel 4000 takes over. If optimus was there u could have switched it on back. I think this switching is hardwired into the circuit and anything cantbe done. :-( . Also optimus would have switched 650m off during normal video or web surfing extra to save battery.

Don't you see the sarcasm in my post :p ;)

I didn't see the low :p. NVM.

I don't think Intel HD 4000 takes over 650M in my laptop at any situation(i.e no OPTIMUS). 650M just gets underclocked to save battery & as Pratyush said, i7's turbo boost is also disabled

.jRay.

Youngling
^ well apparently it does otherwise what could possibly explain the lag on battery, my z580 lags on battery as any other laptop would, the turbo boost isn't the reason as it doesn't require much power as compared to gfx

pratyush997

Inactive
^ well apparently it does otherwise what could possibly explain the lag on battery, my z580 lags on battery as any other laptop would, the turbo boost isn't the reason as it doesn't require much power as compared to gfx
Dude!
FYI HD 4000 is disabled in Y500
You got google! Do some research !

tkin

Back to school!!
Check with GPU caps viewer, if you put it on a low power mode(force) and run a 3d app(inbuilt benchmarks in GPU Caps Viewer) it would run on HD4000 with pathetic FPS and nvidia GPU will show near zero load.

OP
n3rd

n3rd

In the zone
Okay guise, got mine back after repair. I had messed by trying to partition my HDD (apparently you can't partition Win 8 the same way you do with Vista/7) and Win 8 broke. :evil: And I hadn't even backed it up. But after repair, mine came with Win 7, which is sort of a blessing in disguise as far as I'm concerned. The service was good, but the idiots didn't install any drivers in this, so I'm manually installing the drivers now.

Word of advice, get rid of Win 8 and install Win 7.

PS: Oh ****, these morons have loaded Win 7 32 bit. I'll have to reinstall 64 bit now. Jesus.
PPS: The touchpad issue is back. These morons have done **** all and just returnd my laptop.

Last edited:

Gtb93

In the zone
Okay guise, got mine back after repair. I had messed by trying to partition my HDD (apparently you can't partition Win 8 the same way you do with Vista/7) and Win 8 broke. :evil: And I hadn't even backed it up. But after repair, mine came with Win 7, which is sort of a blessing in disguise as far as I'm concerned. The service was good, but the idiots didn't install any drivers in this, so I'm manually installing the drivers now.

PS: Oh ****, these morons have loaded Win 7 32 bit. I'll have to reinstall 64 bit now. Jesus.
PPS: The touchpad issue is back. These morons have done **** all and just returnd my laptop.

They did they just 'repair'/'clean' ELAN or did they put synaptics in it? (seems more and more like a myth to me).

@nickaustin, please google. that's all I have to say.

RON28

Cyborg Agent

did they installed Synaptics touchpad? and if they did nothing, and why the hell did they installed Windows 32bit? :fc_bat:

OP
n3rd

n3rd

In the zone
They did they just 'repair'/'clean' ELAN or did they put synaptics in it? (seems more and more like a myth to me).

@nickaustin, please google. that's all I have to say.
They did absolutely nothing. I got Win 8 corrupted accidentally and these idiots loaded 32 bit Win 7 and gave it back. Did nothing at all. I told them specifically that it goes crazy after you use it for a while, but looks like they didn't bother checking. Good god.

I wouldn't have minded if they actually did something - apparently just taping over solves the issue (I can't do it since it might void the warranty). But this guy is so arrogant that he wouldn't even listen. They're coming over tomorrow to collect it for the second time.

@RON28 I corrupted my Win 8, so for some reason they reformatted and loaded Win 7 - so clueless. And how the hell do get the OEM win 8 serial? Mine came without serial sticker but it's embedded in the BIOS it seems. Such a shame, coz I really like this laptop.

Gtb93

In the zone
They did absolutely nothing. I got Win 8 corrupted accidentally and these idiots loaded 32 bit Win 7 and gave it back. Did nothing at all. I told them specifically that it goes crazy after you use it for a while, but looks like they didn't bother checking. Good god.

I wouldn't have minded if they actually did something - apparently just taping over solves the issue (I can't do it since it might void the warranty). But this guy is so arrogant that he wouldn't even listen. They're coming over tomorrow to collect it for the second time.

Can you explain the taping part? One of my friends will probably be getting this laptop. I'm going to go with him, and get it replaced while he's purchasing it, lol.

jamiejako

Broken In
guys, how do i boot from a dvd? do i have to change the boot order from the bios? the dvd drive is not listed in the bios boot menu though..and my dvd isn't booting..does it usually boot automatically?

OP
n3rd

n3rd

In the zone
Can you explain the taping part? One of my friends will probably be getting this laptop. I'm going to go with him, and get it replaced while he's purchasing it, lol.

*i39.photobucket.com/albums/e156/n1smo/Lenovo Y500/DSC_0147_DxO_zpsf574b349-1_zpsaafdb150.jpg
*i39.photobucket.com/albums/e156/n1smo/Lenovo Y500/DSC_0147_DxO_zps3ffc1671.jpg

1. Put a tape from the metallic part (over the track pad) to the polycarbon place which n1sm0 used as a new ground.

2. From the other side of the trackpad, I put 2 pieces of tape from the beforementioned metallic part of the trackpad in a 90° fashion, so that way it touched the laptop's metal chasis, (being more clearly, from touchpads metallic part, to laptops metallic part) resembling the solution shown by newest lenovo laptops.

That solves it, apparently. I've asked the Lenovo guys to do that as a temporary fix (it is a permanent fix, but what the hell, I deserve a new touchpad!) if there is a delay in new touchpad arrival.

guys, how do i boot from a dvd? do i have to change the boot order from the bios? the dvd drive is not listed in the bios boot menu though..and my dvd isn't booting..does it usually boot automatically?
Get in bios, turn legacy support (or something like that) on. And choose legacy mode as first priority.

$hadow

Geek in making
Has any one tried turning off some gestures of the trackpad saw a video in which he said that by turning of some gestures trackpad seems to be working fine.

OP
n3rd

n3rd

In the zone
Has any one tried turning off some gestures of the trackpad saw a video in which he said that by turning of some gestures trackpad seems to be working fine.

Nope, disabled everything and still goes crazy. It's a hardware issue, when the system heats up, the touchpad goes crazy.

Top Bottom