the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

Prongs298

In the zone
I am on the stock + 1 drivers I think. Couldnt find compatible drivers anywhere and HP doesnt give a damn once you have completed the purchase. The weird switchable GPU is at the heart of the problem.
[MENTION=125331]Gourav Kundu[/MENTION]

i use these - Catalyst_12.10_WHQL_UnifL

after uninstalling all graphics drivers (intel + amd) using HP RECOVERY MANAGER, use these - Catalyst 12.10 WHQL UnifL for AMD+Intel Graphics - leshcatlabs.net .

this is the best driver till now. no errors or BSOD's or slowdowns.

also use MSI Afterburner 2.3.1 with this. Any other version will give errors.

d3b

ALIEN_NiBuRu_11111000010
Hello DVians, how are you all?
I have DV6-6165tx, I'm on Windows 8.1 now, with all the drivers working properly and with SSD and with a new 1 TB HDD. I have 8GB of RAM and finding a way to upgrade it.

I have a strange idea. Has anyone thought of replacing the wifi module with a Msata(or M .2) SSD? The pinouts are same, but will it work? Does the PCIe slot of our laptops has SATA support? I know it sounds crazy, but as there is no more room for storage... :p

Otherwise I will have to go for SanDisk Extreme PRO® SDHC™/SDXC™ UHS-II card(well, its not available or in budget yet) or some U3 Pendrives(do let me know some high speed ones).

Anyway, wish you all a Very Happy New year.
thanks. PEACE. :D

SHARE: do not subscribe at indiamags website(Buy Magazine Subscription | Online Magazine Store | Discount Magazine Subscription Services | India MagsThey are fraud, looted Rs 4k from me and cheated.

Prongs298

In the zone
i run in fixed mode.

i went from 12.10 unifl to 14.4 unifl ver 2.4 on 3rd of january this year.

IMPROVEMENTS -
-5C in temps of gfx card. -8C when in 2d.

i tested with the following all at 1366x768 -

FIFA 14 [constant 60 no fluctuation, did that in 12.10]
PES 15 [general smoothness]
CRYSIS 1 [ great increase in feel and smoothness + constant 30 at all high ]
kingdoms of amalur [ constant 35, smoothness ]
the incredible adventures of van helsing [ generally smoother ]

will post results with - far cry 4, crysis 3 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. COP+MISERY2.2.1 later.

also FLUX works properly now.

every version in between had brightness issues when switched to AMD card.

also they had black screen when waking up from sleep. some users averted this by using hibernation.

i have found out that it is not a black screen but rather the backlight of the LCD not turning on.

i had tried updating to a version greater than 12.10 in the summer of 2014.
[namely 12.11, 13.12 r1.2, 13.1 v2.1, 13.3 b3 ptv2.2, 13.4 v2, 14.4, 14.4 v1.1, 14.4 v1.3, 14.4 v2.2].

it was to no avail. the brightness fixes using FTC values in UBR did not work nor did the wake up black screen OR no backlight issue got solved.

LINK - Download Leshcat AMD UnifL Catalyst Graphics Driver 14.4 v2.4 64-bit for Windows 7 64 bit, Windows 8 64 bit, Windows 8.1 64 bit - Softpedia

But now it did. Here are the steps, may they help someone -

note 1 - please create a system restore point and take registry backup.
note 2 - please reboot after every step.

1. Navigate the Control Panel, and delete drivers using "Programs
and Features".
Locate & Select “AMD Catalyst Install Manager”, launch it and
select "Express Uninstall ALL AMD Software". Execute it and
follow instructions. Reboot.

2. uninstall intel graphics components. do not remove anything
other from intel if it dont have the word graphic in it.

3. use driver fusion to remove amd driver remains + intel
remains.

4. use driver sweeper to do the same. for both.

5. use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove AMD. clean and
restart.

6. use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove intel. clean and
restart.

7. Navigate to "Device Manager".
Find and expand “Video adapters” section. You should see Two
"Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" devices.
find “Sound, video and game Controllers” section, expand it.
Locate “AMD High Definition Audio” device, choose “Uninstall”
and select “Delete the driver software for this device” check-
box if its present.

Reload Device manager : using scan for hardware changes.

This is it! all important files and settings of previous
driver are now removed. Now you are ready to install UnifL
Driver!

8. TO FIX BRIGHTNESS - after install set ftc values in ubr for both amd and intel as F940.

9. TO FIX SLEEP ISSUE - then use a registry editor software or the normal regedit to find all entries named -
"Display1_LVDSSetTimingControlFlags"=dword:00000003

and change them to - "Display1_LVDSSetTimingControlFlags"=dword:00000007

P.S. - if you get error during installation of intel driver then do the following -
*support.microsoft.com/kb/2500967
THIS IS DUE TO WINDOWS 7 TRYING TO INSTALL DRIVER BY ITSELF WHICH CONFLICTS.

note
- How to determine which Generation is your card?
You can rely on Name of Intel Card in device manager, but what if it is generic like "Intel HD Graphics Family"?
No problem, since DEVICE ID will tell us what we need. Here is quick guide on how to locate it:
Hit start button and type "Device Manager", then launch it:
After that, expand "Display Adapters" menu and locate Intel graphic card, right click on it and hit "Properties" button.
Then navigate to "Details" tab and then in "Property" menu locate "Hardware Ids":

Green marked space is showing real "name" of card. Check up with the relative list below to learn which Intel card you are having on board:

DEV_2A42
- Intel 4500MHD And other very old Mobile Graphics

(unofficially supported by UnifL).
DEV_0112
- Intel HD Graphics 3000 (Gen3)

DEV_0046
- Intel HD Graphics (Gen1)
DEV_0116

DEV_0042
- Intel HD Graphics (Gen1)
DEV_0126

DEV_0102
- Intel HD Graphics 2000 (Gen2)
DEV_0122

DEV_0106
- Intel HD Graphics 2000 (Gen2)
DEV_010A

DEV_0162
- Intel HD Graphics 2500/4000 (Gen4)

DEV_0166

DEV_016A

DEV_0152

DEV_0156

DEV_015A

credits -
for the drivers :
leshcatlabs.net forums ? View topic - Release: Catalyst 14.4 WHQL UnifL v2.1-2.4
leshcat [UnifL Creator]
FunkyMike [Moderator]

for the brightness fix :
5/9/2014 0:44:09
*docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?ke...MjBMQ2xnNVBtYnc&single=true&gid=0&output=html
arl
dv6-6170sl
DEV_6740&SUBSYS_3388103C
DEV_0116&SUBSYS_3388103C
Windows 7
Catalyst_14.4_WHQL_UnifL_v1.1
Intel=F940 Intelkmd=F940
F940 solved brightness problems, not sure about wakeup one,
however

for the ever elusive wake up screen error :
Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:13 pm
leshcatlabs.net forums ? View topic - SOLVED - Wakeup problem muxless
savage8
Laptop Model: HP Pavilion G4-2082la
Windows Version: Windows 7 SP1 x64
AMD Card: AMD Radeon 7670M
Intel Card: Intel HD Graphics 3000

Finally the registry key that solved my problem and their values is:
"Display1_LVDSSetTimingControlFlags"=dword:00000007

Drivers Intel no longer include this key, and when installed its value is:
"Display1_LVDSSetTimingControlFlags"=dword:00000003

This is the solution:
Change dword value to 7 in regedit.exe.

Last edited:

Chinmay91

Insomniac
Hi All,

My dv6 6121 tx laptop's power adapter stopped working yesterday. I heard a mild blast from inside the adapter. Can anyone of you please suggest a replacement for this power adapter?
Power: 120 W
Output DC voltage: 18.5V
Output current: 6.5A

Prongs298

In the zone
Hi guys,

I am having 6121tx and thinking of buying a new laptop battery.

*hpshopping.in/HpOnlineStore/Produc...roductName=HP_MU06_Long_Life_Notebook_Battery

HP MU06 Long Life Battery - HP: Flipkart.com

is it compatible?

sorry bhai. i did not see your message.

but yeah that flipkart one is good. you can BUY IT.

HP MU06 Long Life Battery - HP : Flipkart.com

rikkuartz

Broken In
One doubt regarding RAM upgrade.

I am right now having default config, can i upgrade RAM with 8gb?

So it will be 4gb(default config)+8gb corsair 1333 = 12gb total. or do we need to add 4gb at both RAM slots?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
what is the UBR? how do you open it?
What is UBR? A Webopedia Definition
One doubt regarding RAM upgrade.

I am right now having default config, can i upgrade RAM with 8gb?

So it will be 4gb(default config)+8gb corsair 1333 = 12gb total. or do we need to add 4gb at both RAM slots?

Be sure though the RAM is of is the same frequency as the factory installed one(if same brand then it's even better).

rikkuartz

Broken In
What is UBR? A Webopedia Definition

Be sure though the RAM is of is the same frequency as the factory installed one(if same brand then it's even better).

So its okay to have uneven amount of ram on two slots right? Fz is 1333 for 6121tx, brand i am not sure.

Dr. House

No Regrets
Please help me around by suggesting with some excellent yet affordable thermal paste for my laptop 6165tx. The one which serviceman put was some bad chinese that works for a month or so.

Gourav Kundu

Journeyman

i use these - Catalyst_12.10_WHQL_UnifL

after uninstalling all graphics drivers (intel + amd) using HP RECOVERY MANAGER, use these - Catalyst 12.10 WHQL UnifL for AMD+Intel Graphics - leshcatlabs.net .

this is the best driver till now. no errors or BSOD's or slowdowns.

also use MSI Afterburner 2.3.1 with this. Any other version will give errors.

I tried the link you mentioned but it is showing some error whenever i try to download the drivers. Please check it. Thanks.

Prongs298

In the zone
[MENTION=145178]Dr. House[/MENTION]
Please help me around by suggesting with some excellent yet affordable thermal paste for my laptop 6165tx. The one which serviceman put was some bad chinese that works for a month or so.

Deepcool Z3 Tharmal Paste - Buy @ Best Price in India | Snapdeal

Deepcool Z5 Tharmal Paste - Buy @ Best Price in India | Snapdeal

I tried the link you mentioned but it is showing some error whenever i try to download the drivers. Please check it. Thanks.

Catalyst_12.10_WHQL_UnifL.exe

*docs.google.com/open?id=0Bw8_psci8L0mSW44WnM0Y3FndDA

Microsoft services

Prongs298

In the zone
[MENTION=145178]Dr. House[/MENTION] - this if you can find it - Computers :: Accessories :: Others :: Laptop Accessories :: Cooler Master Extreme Fusion X1 - ShopClues.com:

i havent used the z3 but i have used the z5 and its the best one so far. I did it last summer and temps have been so good that i havent had to do it this time round.

Gourav Kundu

Journeyman
[MENTION=145178]Dr. House[/MENTION]

Deepcool Z3 Tharmal Paste - Buy @ Best Price in India | Snapdeal

Deepcool Z5 Tharmal Paste - Buy @ Best Price in India | Snapdeal

Catalyst_12.10_WHQL_UnifL.exe

*docs.google.com/open?id=0Bw8_psci8L0mSW44WnM0Y3FndDA

Microsoft services

Thanks a lot for sharing the links, just one last thing I wanna know ( it may sound childish though) The two links you have given are from Google drive and One Drive and the size of the file is 245Mb while in the third link (*ge.tt/5BQuyZT/v/0) has the same file with 257MB, does the extra 12mb makes any difference ? I am confused which link i can rely upon.

Prongs298

In the zone
[MENTION=125331]Gourav Kundu[/MENTION] - i think you can trust any of those links as they are from the official leshcatlabs website. But the one i was using was 245mb. also if you have got time to fix some stuff and are looking for a better driver than 12.10 you can get 14.4 [v2.4], its 415mb in size and has better performance than 12.10. but watch my previous posts in this thread to get 14.4 v2.4 up and running. i got everything fixed in windows 7, and if you have got win 8 then use any of the newer ones with dynamic switching.

*www.digit.in/forum/laptops-netbook...v6-6165tx-thread-post2191766.html#post2191766

Gourav Kundu

Journeyman
Hello everybody. Recently my laptop's Ram (in additional slot) stopped working. I have been using HP DV6-6165tx since 2012. If I upgrade my laptop with a new SSD of 256 GB and Corsair RAM Vengeance 4 GB DDR3 1333mhz, It will cost me around 15,000 INR. What I am considering is to sell this laptop and purchase a new replacement desktop (within 50k) but I am in a dilemma, because I have no idea how much can I get for this 3 years old laptop. Also, HD6770m is a bit old for the latest games. Please help me in taking a decision, whether it is good to upgrade or replace the laptop with a desktop and purchase an additional netbook for mobility.I will look for your answers. Thanks.

Dr. House

No Regrets
I have installed GTA V on my dv6-6165tx. In drivers it shows catalyst version 2012.0815.2143.37180.
Can somebody give link of latest drivers for my laptop so that I can get better performance in GTA V?

Top Bottom