the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Thanks for the prompt reply.
For your HDD OS booting first,I would like to suggest you to change boot order after selecting SSD OS and then in MSCONFIG. In MSCONFIG you have option to select default OS

aniket.cain

Padawan
Thanks for the prompt reply.
For your HDD OS booting first,I would like to suggest you to change boot order after selecting SSD OS and then in MSCONFIG. In MSCONFIG you have option to select default OS

I am glad I could be of help!

I think you misunderstood my situation. As mentioned earlier, mine is not a dual-boot setup in a conventional way. Both drives have their own boot-loaders, so that they are entirely separate and non-dependent. Though that is not much of a problem. I rarely shut-down my system. :)

vgr

Broken In
My DV6-6165tx battery is draining very fast and lasts for about 1 hour. It's been 1 year and 1 month since the date of purchase. How can I increase the battery back-up or do I need to replace the battery with other one, if I have to change the battery then may I know if I can replace the battery with a new high power battery (9 cells if it exist) ? Please help me. Also, the temperature rises very often to 60c in normal mode and sometime more than 80c while gaming , should I apply some kind of thermal paste ( ah this heating problem is happening after HO engineer replaced the internal fan and also replaced the paste on it ) ?

If ur still under warranty, get it replaced. As far as the heating goes,
when you say normal mode, do u mean with a browser open and random apps?
my normal temperature is around 50[room temperature- 31 degrees]..... when I play games like Crysis 3... it hits 95 max...... Saints row goes to around 85 though...

you can bring the temperature down considerably if you've got an air conditioner...

aniket.cain

Padawan
anyone with Win 8.1 on their dv6 6xxx series?? Any reported issues>>??I'm still on Win 7 and looking for an upgrade

I am in the same boat. I desperately want to upgrade to Windows 8 :p. But last time I tried, I had issues with the graphics drivers, and my system seems to be running in performance mode all the time. It used to get hot quite often, and the fan noise was irritating too. The second issue was the Fingerprint reader. It sometimes stopped working after putting computer to sleep, and then waking up again.

But that was a very long time ago. Had been using this laptop for some office work too, so couldn't mess with it in the last few months. If anybody has had success with everything, please pour in your suggestions. :)

I would report if I try it myself. Maybe this weekend.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Sure........eagerly awaiting your results......Just a piece of info,don't try a dual boot setup with Win 8 and 7 simultaneously......All laptops tend to get hot when running Win 8.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I am in the same boat. I desperately want to upgrade to Windows 8 :p. But last time I tried, I had issues with the graphics drivers, and my system seems to be running in performance mode all the time. It used to get hot quite often, and the fan noise was irritating too. The second issue was the Fingerprint reader. It sometimes stopped working after putting computer to sleep, and then waking up again.

But that was a very long time ago. Had been using this laptop for some office work too, so couldn't mess with it in the last few months. If anybody has had success with everything, please pour in your suggestions. :)

I would report if I try it myself. Maybe this weekend.

Tried 8.1 on my DV4 3016tx which i spretty similar ot to your models, and again the driver issue persists. Cannot switch to the Intel GPU. Any attempt to switch results in user getting logged out of the account and the only way to get back to a usable display is to restart (which doesnt always work on the first try).

So back to my W7 for the moment.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
@Prashant

1.Did you use the normal WIn 7 drivers for the 6017tx??
2.Graphics in Dynamic or fixed mode??
3.Any particular issue??

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
@Prashant

1.Did you use the normal WIn 7 drivers for the 6017tx??
2.Graphics in Dynamic or fixed mode??
3.Any particular issue??

1. The Win 7 drivers don't work. I have tried multiple versions. Only SP59407 drivers from HP work
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59001-59500/sp59407.exe

These drivers are fully compatible with Windows 8 and 8.1. However you need a clean Windows 8/8.1 install to install. If you already are using Win 8/8.1 with partially working drivers, installing this driver might not solve issues. Clean install will work flawlessly though (tried and tested)

2. Dynamic or Fixed mode was not available in 6017tx. I manually switch gfx by Rt click on Desktop > Configure Switchable Graphics

3. SP59407 is unstable. However installing Catalyst 12.10 ( *www2.ati.com/Drivers/mobile/12-10_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql_net4.exe ) after installing sp59407 solves the bugs. On its own 59407 crashes frequently and might give BSOD while switching. The 59407 + Catalyst 12.10 reference driver combo is fairly stable.

BF3 keeps crashing after 15-20 minutes gameplay. I googled for error and found other gfx cards also facing same issue. I stopped playing so no idea if EA has released a bugfix for the game.

Installation instructions

1. Clean install Windows 8 / 8.1 ( do not use upgrade option while installing or install over existing Win 8 drivers)
2. Install SP59407 ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59001-59500/sp59407.exe
3. Install 12.10 reference drivers *www2.ati.com/Drivers/mobile/12-10_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql_net4.exe

PS. all driver links are for 64-bit OS only

aniket.cain

Padawan
So I gave it a go again today. Installed Windows 8.1, and then installed the latest catalyst 13.11 beta drivers. I am able to switch graphics through Catalyst Control Center now, though it takes a little time to switch. Haven't yet looked into the fingerprint reader. Didn't have to install any other driver, as Windows detected everything by itself. Running good now. :)

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
@Prashant
Thnx buddy. Even after two years,you're my guide when it comes to laptop. I remeber buying my dv6 seeing your and rachit's posts at TDF.
Will try installing 8.1 directly when my SSD arrives. Eagerly awaiting my 250 GB Samsung EVO........PrimeABGB is taking insanely long to ship :-(

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Another problem I have been facing not related to gfx is that my laptop doesn't recognize ad hoc networks now.

On win8 it used to connect to ad hoc but now ad hoc networks are not visible :( Anyone running 8.1 can confirm this issue?

Ruthra kumar

Broken In
Visiting this thread after a very long time..my Catalyst Control Center version is 2011.0930.2209.37895..i'm quite sure that it's very old..But whenever i try to update it thru the CCC it always displays that a latest version is not available.. So can i directly download and install the lastest driver 13.11 beta? Kindly help me out..

Ruthra kumar

Broken In
So I gave it a go again today. Installed Windows 8.1, and then installed the latest catalyst 13.11 beta drivers. I am able to switch graphics through Catalyst Control Center now, though it takes a little time to switch. Haven't yet looked into the fingerprint reader. Didn't have to install any other driver, as Windows detected everything by itself. Running good now. :)

dude, i have 6121tx with win 7 64bit.. i recently updated CCC from a 2011 version to this beta version 13.11 directly without uninstalling the previous CCC drivers (didnt face any problems during the installation)..now i'm facing this problem-not able to find the switching option from the configure switchable graphics- window..howto resolve this?

Now i'm getting this error, see screenshot: amd driver.png when i launch CCC. and my desktop resolution has changed to the basic display and in the right click option there is no option for configure switchable graphics right click.png..so please help me out..

@aniket.cain @marvelousprashant can you provide some suggestions?

Can i uninstall the 13.11 Catalyst control center..which option shall i use uninstall manager or express uninstall all amd software? see this uninstall.jpg

1. The Win 7 drivers don't work. I have tried multiple versions. Only SP59407 drivers from HP work
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59001-59500/sp59407.exe

These drivers are fully compatible with Windows 8 and 8.1. However you need a clean Windows 8/8.1 install to install. If you already are using Win 8/8.1 with partially working drivers, installing this driver might not solve issues. Clean install will work flawlessly though (tried and tested)

2. Dynamic or Fixed mode was not available in 6017tx. I manually switch gfx by Rt click on Desktop > Configure Switchable Graphics

3. SP59407 is unstable. However installing Catalyst 12.10 ( *www2.ati.com/Drivers/mobile/12-10_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql_net4.exe ) after installing sp59407 solves the bugs. On its own 59407 crashes frequently and might give BSOD while switching. The 59407 + Catalyst 12.10 reference driver combo is fairly stable.

BF3 keeps crashing after 15-20 minutes gameplay. I googled for error and found other gfx cards also facing same issue. I stopped playing so no idea if EA has released a bugfix for the game.

Installation instructions

1. Clean install Windows 8 / 8.1 ( do not use upgrade option while installing or install over existing Win 8 drivers)
2. Install SP59407 ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59001-59500/sp59407.exe
3. Install 12.10 reference drivers *www2.ati.com/Drivers/mobile/12-10_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql_net4.exe

PS. all driver links are for 64-bit OS only

The download link that you have given for 12.10 is not working..any other working links?

Last edited:

velociraptor

Broken In
hello friends ,i was using win 8 pro on my dv6 but due to some issues i want to roll back to win 7 .i need to know the link to download the gpu drivers i mean the whole procedure like what to install before what ,and i know this ques has been answered before but i cant search it and drivers must have been updated ,so guys please help me with the procedure.
thanx in advance

Visiting this thread after a very long time..my Catalyst Control Center version is 2011.0930.2209.37895..i'm quite sure that it's very old..But whenever i try to update it thru the CCC it always displays that a latest version is not available.. So can i directly download and install the lastest driver 13.11 beta? Kindly help me out..
ya that happens in my case too .and i havent figured it out why ..but you can directly download latest drivers ..my opinion is try leshcat drivers
i use them and they are pretty nice

vishu22

Broken In
Hey guyz , plzz help !! :cry: i hav a dv6 6121tx , my HDD also died 4 days ago (i think der is some rahu-kaal on our HDD's) , now lappy is restarting @ d point of loading windows , while loading windows - it flashes a blue screen just for a second & then restarts , i hav done some HDD tests in BIOS settings & it showed me short DST Failed ! , i hav tried to do Recovery - both from DVD's & Internal Recovery Partition but no luck , also tried to do clean instal from a Pendrive but it also showed me some error !
so plzz Help me !! is there any way to recover my data ?? & plzz help me in choosing New HDD or SSHD (hybrid)

Top Bottom