the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Pics uploaded on second page...
Just brought HP DV6-6017tx a few hours back, initial impressions -

1. Haven't installed any games 'YET', so cant comment on the heating issues, but still for those still anxious, till now the heat up has been acceptable considering an i7 machine...

2. It looks really sexy, compact and slim compared to XPS15 as i had both of them in front of me while deciding...

3. Best part was that i did not have to wait 13-15 days for delivery like in the case of XPS15, was ready in stalk so got it instantly !

4. The display is good if not the best but still the best sub 1080p i have seen.

5. The sound quality is good but not in the league of XPS15, but still if XPS has the best sound, DV6 is only in the second spot !

6. Got it for 53K while the same config for XPS was going 60k+, so defiantly a great deal.

Thats it for now i guess, bak to my new love ;)

Here is a list of all the proud owners of HP Pavilion DV6-6017TX:
1. Rachit Mahule(rachitboom2)
2. Prashant Gupta(marvelousprashant)
3. evil_maverick
4. Junaid

Here is a list of all the proud owners of HP Pavilion DV6-6121TX:
1. aniket.cain:
Initially I was very frustrated with the crippled GPU, but after the BIOS fix, I am simply amazed by the performance. I am now extremely satisfied with it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a gaming laptop. Kudos to HP.
2. Sachin (sachin99)

Here is a list of all the proud owners of HP Pavilion DV6-6140TX:
1. arsenalfan001

| 6017TX | 6140TX | 6121TX
Graphic card menory|6770M 1GB|6770M 1GB|6770M 2GB
HDD Capacity|500GB HDD|500GB HDD|640GB HDD
External Display options|VGA & HDMI|VGA|VGA & HDMI
Win7 Edition|W7 Premium|W7 Basic|W7 Premium
Price|Discontinued|Rs 48k|Rs 52k

PS :- DEFIANTLY WORTH THE MONEY AND RECOMMENDED !!!

PS2 :- Guys please go through this whole thread before mailing me with your queries, I am happy that I am helping, but its just that I have answered all those questions here already so its a bit frustrating answering them again and again...

Each and every question that people keep asking repeatedly has been answered time and again in the previous pages. You guys should use the search function or browse back to find the answers. I am once again (and for the final time) answering the common queries.

Q1. Is the OpenGL issue fixed?
Ans: Yes. It has been fixed by a BIOS update released by HP on 2nd of August.

Q2. How is the battery backup?
Ans: It is quite decent, and you can easily get 4-5 hours on light usage on onboard GPU.

Q3. What about the overheating issues?
Ans: This laptop doesn't heat up that much as some people would like to believe owing to HP's previous records. While playing most graphics intensive games for a couple of hours, the maximum I manage to get is around 76 degrees.

Q4. How is the screen quality?
Ans: Poor. But compared to the standard 720p screen of Dell XPS, it is better. If you don't want to take my word for it, Google it. The viewing angles are bad though. The dithering issue is most noticeable when viewing the color blue (the color used by Windows when you select text etc.).

Q5. How is the speaker quality compared to XPS 15?
Ans: Poor. But definitely better than other laptops like Vaios, Acers and Lenovos.

Q6. What about the problems with the switchable graphics?
Ans: The problems have been fixed. You can choose between Dynamic Switching and Fixed Mode Switching from the BIOS. And it works perfectly well now. As of now, all the games work perfectly at the maximum settings. Yes, even Metro 2033.

Q7. How easy is overclocking?
Ans: Pretty easy. Set Fixed Mode Switching from the BIOS, and then you can use MSI Afterburner to overclock. I am running it at a stable 850/950 (the default is 725/800) and it is running fine without overheating.

Q8. What about the bloatware?
Ans: There are many bloatware installed by default. But they can be uninstalled pretty easily. Though some of them are quite handy and worth keeping.

Q9. How easy is it to upgrade the RAM or HDD?
Ans: The back cover is screwless and adding a new RAM module is a piece of cake. Changing the HDD would be a little more trickier as you would need to remove the padding etc from the older HDD and fix it to the newer one.

Q10. What are the WEI scores?
Ans: 7.4, 7.4, 6.9, 6.9, 5.9. After adding 4GB RAM and overclocking the GPU, 7.4, 7.6, 7.0, 7.0, 5.9.

Q11. How is the build quality?
Ans: Not like a Thinkpad, of course. Not even like the Dell XPS. There are minor creaks here and there. But it is not an all-plastic body. The palm-rest is metallic and doesn't attract any finger prints.

Q12. How is the keyboard?
Ans: Plasticky. The up/down arrow keys are a bit small and take time getting used to. The keys are well spaced and make typing easier without much errors. The num-pad is a boon to people who work with lots of numbers.

Q13. How is the touchpad?
Ans: It is decently responsive and supports multi-touch. The buttons have good tactile feedback. However, there is no middle button on the touchpad.

Q14. How is the fingerprint reader?
And: Pretty nice. HP SimplePass stores your password, and you can enter them in any browser irrespective of the fact that the password is stored in the browser or not. The fingerprint reader is very nice and always identifies in a jiffy. No problems whatsoever with it.

Q15. How is the DVD-Writer?
Ans: It is just like other tray loading drives. It comes with Light-Scribe which is next to useless. However, the eject button is pretty small and you need to press it with the tip of your fingers or fingernails.

Q16. How is the web-cam?
Ans: Just like any other standard web-cam. It is not meant for shooting your marriage videos. As far as video-chatting is considered, its quality is decent enough.

I think I have covered almost all the general questions. All the above answers are my honest observations and I am not here to promote HP. I just find this machine quite decent for the price it is asking coupled with the performance it is providing. If you are still unsatisfied with my answers, then you need to spend some time with this notebook to really appreciate it. However if want better ASS, better speakers, and are ready to pay a slight premium for that, Dell XPS 15 is the better option. But if you want a gaming powerhouse at this price point, this is the one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ico

ankurgel

He loves himself.
53k for 6016TX?
6017TX with 6770M Radeon HD is available at 53k itself.
-
btw, congrats for your buy. :)

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Check this link for exact config - HP Pavilion dv6-6017tx Entertainment Notebook PC (LQ460PA) specifications - HP Home & Home Office products

Still in short, its has core i7 proc, 4 gb single channel ddr3 1333 ram, 500gb 5200rpm hdd, 15.6" display and ati HD6770 raedon gpu...

And again I am mentioning its a HP DV6-6017TX NOT 6016TX... That was a typo earlier...

Continuing my initial impression, the i7 is really the best when it comes to multitasking (DUHH), at one time I was surfing web, extracting my backup, installing new drivers and copying my backup from my old computer and still my the damn proc was goin strong!!!

Lovin it!!!

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey, where did you buy this? I'm thinking of getting one too the next month.

It was avaliable at HP World as well as almost all the retailers I asked once I told them that I have to buy it today only, every one had a different price like 54K 56k 57k but once I told them that I was already gettin it for 53K everyone came down to the same price of 53K, rest of the decision was left on who would give me a better deal for my old system...

Ohh n I completely forgot to mention, I got a HP backpack also with it which is really good, but it has waterproof material inside also, which I fear might leace scratches on the body of the laptop, but still too early to tell. Again, awesome quality, specially since I got it for free with the laptop ;)

Last edited:
Seems like you got a good deal . Nice man .

If possible do post pictures and a detail review in the review section . Enjoy mate :)

aniket.cain

Padawan
Nice purchase. I saw the specs online a few days ago, and the confuration for this price was unbelievable. I just wish they had given a Full-HD display.

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Seems like you got a good deal . Nice man .

If possible do post pictures and a detail review in the review section . Enjoy mate :)

Pics will be uploaded by the end of the day, and review in a few days i guess...

And i would like to add the ONLY plus point of DV6's speakers over XPS15's, both the speakers in XPS and DV6 are well placed, but the sub woofers in DV6 are in front where Insperion 15R has speakers, and XPS15 has a subwoofer under the laptop, DV6 gives the same sound output wether it is used on a bed or a flat top table or a book etc, whereas XPS15's beats gets smushed if used on a bed or a book etc...

ankurgel

He loves himself.
Perfect! It is loads better than XPS 15. Getting a backpack for free is +1. Flipkart has it for 52729 something.. but without any goodies.
Congrats.

saesha

Right off the assembly line
Kindly check if this is having the problem of overheating. I also want to buy this model. but no user review is found in the popular review sites.

Kindly send me your reviews about this laptop

Just brought HP DV6-6017tx a few hours back, initial impressions -

1. Haven't installed any games 'YET', so cant comment on the heating issues, but still for those still anxious, till now the heat up has been acceptable considering an i7 machine...

2. It looks really sexy, compact and slim compared to XPS15 as i had both of them in front of me while deciding...

3. Best part was that i did not have to wait 13-15 days for delivery like in the case of XPS15, was ready in stalk so got it instantly !

4. The display is good if not the best but still the best sub 1080p i have seen.

5. The sound quality is good but not in the league of XPS15, but still if XPS has the best sound, DV6 is only in the second spot !

6. Got it for 53K while the same config for XPS was going 60k+, so defiantly a great deal.

Thats it for now i guess, bak to my new love ;)

PS :- DEFIANTLY WORTH THE MONEY AND RECOMMENDED !!!

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Well guys... here is an amazing news for everyone intrested in buyin this awesome laptop... Crysis Warhead plays at 25+ fps at native resolution i.e. better than 720p and at MAXIMUM graphics settings i.e. enthusiast graphics settings!!!

And as far as heatin issues... well it does heat up quite a bit but I wouldn't call it over heatin, and it only happens while playin games... Rest of the time its stays cool... Will do proper tests about the exact tempratures soon...

Going to try Crysis 2, Resident evil 5, grid, etc soon...

quezar

Kindly check if this is having the problem of overheating. I also want to buy this model. but no user review is found in the popular review sites.

Kindly send me your reviews about this laptop
i]also wanted to bu the same product but after reading the complaint at following link i changed my mind
Faulty HP Laptop - Defective Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset ! - Chipsets-Bios - Motherboards-Memory

also i have personal bad experience of hps after sales service. once sold they are just not bothered.
apart from chipset the product appears to have meanyother problems too
those who want similar specs i have some suggestion
best choice ASUS K53SJ / A53SJ PRICE rs 37000 only ( w/o OS). only cons are that it does not have usb 3.0 ports and has nvedia gt force 520M (540 would have been better..but it has the best of the reviews and asus is known for its reliability and good hardware quality. the laptop is also very good looking.u can also read the review at

Asus K53SJ-SX084V - Notebookcheck.net External Reviews

second choice shuld be ACER ASPIRE 5750G.yet another powerful laptop .but it is not available readily . u will have to tie up with the acer dealer. price shuld be approx 390000

but its screen display is not of best quality. also the box is of plastic.those interested can read its review at
*www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-5750G-Notebook.46094.0.htm
appears to be powerful laptop

by the way i have bought ASUS A53SJ yesterday and till now i am happy

i]also wanted to bu the same product but after reading the complaint at following link i changed my mind
Faulty HP Laptop - Defective Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset ! - Chipsets-Bios - Motherboards-Memory

also i have personal bad experience of hps after sales service. once sold they are just not bothered.
best choice ASUS K53SJ / A53SJ PRICE rs 37000 only ( w/o OS). only cons are that it does not have usb 3.0 ports and has nvedia gt force 520M (540 would have been better..but it has the best of the reviews and asus is known for its reliability and good hardware quality. the laptop is also very good looking.u can also read the review at

second choice shuld be ACER ASPIRE 5750G.yet another powerful laptop .but it is not available readily . u will have to tie up with the acer dealer. price shuld be approx 390000

but its screen display is not of best quality. also the box is of plastic.those interested can read its review at

apart from chipset the product appears to have meany other problems too . I FEEL IF U BUY HP DV6-6016TX,IT WILL BE SOMETHING LIKE BUYING AN UNRELIABLE PRODUCT AT AVERY HIGH PRICE.

this product has got cougar point issue. there
any more issues .pls check the link

thre are meany other issues as well. i was alsotempted to buythis product. butafter seeing above link and also with my bitter experience with hps after sales service in the past i cahnged my mind. once sold hp just doesnt bother.

those who r intrested in similar confif, i have some suggestion.

first and the best ASUS K53SJ/A53SJ.
PROS- best looking, robust hardware, good reviews, stable, and too economical. (rs 37000 w/o OS).GOOD PRODUCT AT LOW PRICE,.
FOR MORE VISIT LINK BELOW

CONS- NO USB 3.0 PORT, GRAPHIC CARD IS NVDIAGT 520M, 1GB ( COULD HAVE BEEN 540M), NOT THE BEST WEBCAM,BUT GOOD

SECONDY U MAY TRY FOE ACER ASPIRE 5750G. THIS MAY NOT B READILY AVAILABLE,BUT GOOD SPECS, AND GOOD REVIEWS, AT MODERATE PRICE (39000 APPROX)
. TRY TO TIE UP WITH ACER DEALER.
THE LAPTOP IS GOOO SHARP LOOKS SUPER SPECS BUT HAS PLASTIC CASE AND ALSO THE DISPLAY IS NOT OF BEST IN THE CLASS. FOR MORE READ REVIEW AT LINK
Review Acer Aspire 5750G Notebook - Notebookcheck.net Reviews

BY THE WAY I BOUGHT ASUS K53SJ YESTERDAY AND I M HAPPY TILL NOW

ASUS HAS GOT VERY GOOD INTERNATIONAL REPUTATION AND THE PRODUCTS ARE RUGGED AND LONG LASTING AND RELIABLE. IN INDIA THEY NOW GOT SERVICE CENTRE AT ALL MAJOR CITIES.

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
@ quezar :- Dude firstly u seriously need to learn how to post in forums !!!

And secondly that faulty chipset issue is looong gone, and u just have to keep one thing in ur mind while buying, look at the serial no of the laptop outside the box, the serial no has to be in a XXXnumXXXX format, u only have to take a look at the 4th 5th and 6th nos, if the number is greater than 108 then the laptop is absolutly fine, in my case it was XXX117XXXX, so since 117 it is greater than 108 my chipset is just fine...

But seriously dude... LEARN how to post...

koolbapps

Dear , i playing to buy laptop for gaming.

i wanna buy either Dell Xps 15 or HP 6017 Tx
please suggest.

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Dear , i playing to buy laptop for gaming.

i wanna buy either Dell Xps 15 or HP 6017 Tx
please suggest.

Here is a list of some of the games that i've tried on this awesome machine:-

Crysis Warhead
Crysis 2
Resident Evil 5
NFS Hot Pursuit
GRID
COD Black Ops

Every single one of these games run flawlessly on this laptop at MAX graphics settings and at MAX resolution and with FULL AA and AF !!!

The ATI 6770 is a beast of a gfx card for a laptop and XPS15's 540M does'nt stand a chance in front of it !!!

So for gaming I'd suggest 6017TX any day...

Top Bottom