The great Compression tool Battle! 7-Zip Vs WinRAR !!!

What Compression Tool Do U prefer to Use ???

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sreekanth V

Journeyman
Ya 7-ZIP give me the best compression, but i have to do some tweaks, that is using the maximum possible compression which require a memory usage of 75% of RAM.

OP
Ashis

Ashis

In the zone
Sreekanth V said:
Ya 7-ZIP give me the best compression, but i have to do some tweaks, that is using the maximum possible compression which require a memory usage of 75% of RAM.

Would U like to share UR tweak? :wink:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I've used Winzip, Winrar and 7Zip out of which i found 7 zip as the best.Plus, its also free which gives it the edge over other two. But, I've learnt about many new ones here which i'll try out.

Sreekanth V

Journeyman
Ashis said:
Sreekanth V said:

Would U like to share UR tweak? :wink:

Hmmmmm,
Wellllll, Dat is a big tweak so that I cant explain it here.
More over you may certainly be not able to understand it, right?
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

G

gxsaurav

hmm, can u provide screenshot & compression ratio comparision

Sreekanth V

Journeyman
I have a small collection of icons and it comes about 246MB.
Now the compression battle starts.
Winzip 10 -> 91MB
WinRAR -> 85MB
7 Zip -> 60MB

Now tell me which is best?

G

gxsaurav

right, 7-Zip is the best, & how much memory does it takes to decompress or compress with a dictionary size of 32 MB or even more

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
Zip Zenius

I have been using Zip Zenius for a long time and in my opinion it is the best. It has a cool GUI with lots and lots of features.....

Vyasram

The pWnster
Zip files to send as attachments as most centers dont hav rar and give only limited xp acc.

Rar files for personal use

UHARC for rippin game backups and multimedia stuff

KGB sucks

new123

Right off the assembly line
winrar 3.60 is good but winrk 3.0.3 rolz3 is better for executables, text, bitmaps; squeez 5.20 is better for wav, tiff; and paq8f -3 is best for jpeg, documents (word, excel, powerpoint, etc...). Only smart configuration.

www.maximumcompression.com excellent site for compression software reviews or Squeeze Chart 2006 too.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
new123 said:
winrar 3.60 is good but winrk 3.0.3 rolz3 is better for executables, text, bitmaps; squeez 5.20 is better for wav, tiff; and paq8f -3 is best for jpeg, documents (word, excel, powerpoint, etc...). Only smart configuration.

www.maximumcompression.com excellent site for compression software reviews or Squeeze Chart 2006 too.

I too wanted to refer to the same site b4 i started using winrk..WINRK rocks man..Trust me its the ultimate in copmression and winrar is a f***in crap in front of it

Last edited:

faraaz

Evil Genius
WinRar...most file I download use RAR compression, WinRAR has ISO support and compression efficiency & speed are reasonable!

wilderness

Broken In
I prefer 7-zip.. No nag screens upon every archive you double-click !!

.zip creation in 7-zip is pretty fast, compared to winzip. .7z creation might be slower(almost half the speed of zipping speed), but it has the best compression ratio. I have been using this for over 2 years now, and I have never needed any other compression tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom