The great Compression tool Battle! 7-Zip Vs WinRAR !!!

What Compression Tool Do U prefer to Use ???

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
I use WinRAR it works wonders for me. But ppl I got a game Commandoes which is zipped using something its an .ACE file. Its zipped to the extent of 2% ie the zipped file is only 2% of the original (its only 1.11 MB the original is 111 MB). How is this possible. I dunno but any 1 has doubts i can shot it to u thru screenies.

swatkat

Technomancer
Actually only two compression formats surpass the UHA format.They are UDA and RK,softwares being WinUDA and WinRK.
WinUDA is a small, 20kb English Version, utility which has a simple GUI.It has 4 modes of compression which require 32MB,64MB,128MB,256MB RAM respectively to run smoothly.It gives good compression ratio than ACE,RAR,ZIP and even UHA but slightly lesser than RK.
So the real winner is RK format.
But the sore thing abouth these formats is that they are not supported by any 'popular' softwares.
But WinUHA,WinUDA and WinRK has an otpion to make SFX which solves the portabality problem.

Werner Bergmans

Right off the assembly line
swatkat said:
Actually only two compression formats surpass the UHA format.They are UDA and RK,softwares being WinUDA and WinRK.
WinUDA is a small, 20kb English Version, utility which has a simple GUI.

UDA is just a PAQ clone with a GUI. For the best possible compression just have a look at *www.maximumcompression.com/

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
Ashis said:
How Many Of U have Purchased WinRAR....???

And Don't Tell Me 40 Days Love Affair(Trial Period) Makes It(WinRAR) UR Favorite

he he u joking :p purchasing :lol: what's dat

BTW my fav winrar anytime :D

..:: peace ::..
Jeba

OP
Ashis

Ashis

In the zone
cooljeba said:
Ashis said:

And Don't Tell Me 40 Days Love Affair(Trial Period) Makes It(WinRAR) UR Favorite

Jeba

Yea Yea :roll:

:arrow: I was an Idiot

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
Ashis said:
cooljeba said:
Ashis said:

Jeba

Yea Yea :roll:

:arrow: I was an Idiot

well what i meant was if u got da bucks u must buy to support the author. kangal people like me take support of piracy it's as simple as dat ;)

Jeba

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
WinRAR WinRAR WinRAR WinRAR WinRAR WinRAR

It's da best...pause

Not only good compression... i like it's easy iconing ability for makin exe files.

WinRAR Guys... small doubt... how do u make the icons or pics come in the unpackin window too.. instead of WinRAR's logo
*img48.exs.cx/img48/7897/winrar0nu.jpg

Need 2 know it urgently yaar... REPLY AT THIS POST

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=119631#119631

lavanjoy

Broken In
djmykey said:
I use WinRAR it works wonders for me. But ppl I got a game Commandoes which is zipped using something its an .ACE file. Its zipped to the extent of 2% ie the zipped file is only 2% of the original (its only 1.11 MB the original is 111 MB). How is this possible. I dunno but any 1 has doubts i can shot it to u thru screenies.

I think the compression rate depends on the format of the files.
I think u got a .ACE file(1.1mb) of photoshop plugins .When u extract ,it shows the 111mb in HDD. Am I right?

gamefreak14

Journeyman
Yes I'm sure he meant those 1700 plugins in a 1.1 MB file....Compress the same using UHARC and it'll fit in <1 MB!! The compression ratio is over a 100%!!

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
Hate To Dig up an Old Topic. But I know People will hate it more If I start a new topic for the same reason. I did a comparison Test of sort on my PC.
Intel Celeron 1 GHz, 256 MB SD RAM, WinXP SP2.
-------------------------------------------------------

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
Hate To Dig up an Old Topic. But I know People will hate it more If I start a new topic for the same reason. I did a comparison Test of sort on my PC. Intel Celeron 1 GHz, 256 MB SD RAM, WinXP SP2.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7z V/S Rar V/S Zip V/S UHA
Used the following :
1 .7-Zip 4.15 beta [Ultra Compression - Solid Archive]
2 .WinRAR 3.5 beta 6[Best Compression -Solid Archive]
3 .WinZip 9.0 [Maximum Compression (enhance deflate) ]
4a.WinUHA 2.0 RC1 [ALZ(3) Best][Priority Normal]
4b.WinUHA 2.0 RC1 [PPM (Best-text Optimized)][Priority Normal]
===============================
Format : Compression Format -> [Compressed Size] [Time Taken]
================================
7.48 MB of Html,Htm,Mht,Txt,Zip [77 files].
1 . 7z -> 2.73 MB 41 sec
2 . rar -> 2.78 MB 15 sec
3 . zip -> 3.10 MB 11 sec
4a. uha -> 2.73 MB 41 sec
4b. uha -> 2.73 MB 40 sec
12.2 MB of SWf files [12 files]
1 . 7z -> 10.0 MB 35 sec
2 . rar -> 10.1 MB 26 sec
3 . zip -> 11.7 MB 13 sec
4a. uha -> 10.4 MB 98 sec
4b. uha -> 10.5 MB 163 sec
10 MB of PDF Files [14 Fles]
1 . 7z -> 6.47 MB 52 sec
2 . rar -> 5.39 MB 16 sec
3 . zip -> 6.72 MB 9 sec
4a. uha -> 6.49 MB 75 sec
4b. uha -> 6.44 MB 107 sec
10 MB Html file (PHP Manual)
1 . 7z -> 1.16 MB 68 sec
2 . rar -> 991 KB 11 sec
3 . zip -> 1.55 MB 6 sec
4a. uha -> 1.23 MB 55 sec
4b. uha -> 935 KB 20 sec
10 MB PDF files (14 files), 5 MB HTML files (226 files), 6 MB DOC Files (101 Files), 6 MB of JPG files (100 Files) =27 MB
1 . 7z -> 13.5 MB 673 sec
2 . rar -> 13.3 MB 62 sec
3 . zip -> 15.7 MB 16 sec
4a. uha -> 13.4 MB 193 sec
4b. uha -> 13.0 MB 264 sec
21 MB of Image Files (JPG,TIFF,BMP,GIF)
1 . 7z -> 15...MB 771 sec and Counting... *img138.imageshack.us/img138/1540/7ztime4rj.gif
2 . rar -> 17.6 MB 53 sec
3 . zip -> 17.8 MB 16 sec
4a. uha -> 17.42MB 165 sec
4b. uha -> 17.4 MB 290 sec
Conclusion :
7z : New Format, Better than zip only in compression time, compression ratio better than RAR on only couple of occasions, VERY VERY SLOW, Only suitable 4 Small files <10MB.
zip: Most Commonly used , widely supported [compatibily], Fastest Compression and acceptable compression
rar: Not Free, Excellent Compression, Little slower than Zip, but way faster than 7z and uha. RAR looses out to uha in compression ratio in ->Image Compression, TXT compressions (eg:mht,htm,html,doc,txt..). But Loads better in Compression time.
uha:Free, NEW format, seems betterthan RAR in common formats [IMAGE,TXT..].Looses out in PDF,SWF formats.But takes longer time in compression of large files >10 MB.
------------------------
If time is a factor then RAR gives the best compression /time factor.
If Compression is what u want in Common files like IMAGE/TXT/.. use uha [ With PPM (Best text Optimized)enabled] :)

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
WinRAR is the best... forgetting the price concerns....

The best thing I like in it is... the interface & icon can be made easily in WinRAR executible files... which i didn't find in other compression sw... winzip ok...

7Zip I tried... but it stood no chance on features as compared to WinRAR...

Way to go WinRAR...

(...And Ashish... the 40 Days Love Affair(Trial Period) is worth taking with WinRAR)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
hey guys , the season of zip, rar , 7z s are over
LHA is here to stay

visit powerarchiver.com and download a trial and try the lha compression

by the way, i have a retail copy of WINRar and i love it too

but lha is in beta stage anyway , like uha

Charley

Just Do It
QwertyManiac said:
hey guys , the season of zip, rar , 7z s are over
LHA is here to stay

visit powerarchiver.com and download a trial and try the lha compression

by the way, i have a retail copy of WINRar and i love it too

but lha is in beta stage anyway , like uha

Ur divertin from the topic. :lol:

mukul

Journeyman
i use winrar (trial)
just wen trial over reinstall the newer version from DIGIT cd ofcourse and another 40 days of fun and frolic

well as far as 7zip goes i dumped it owing to its slowness

looking for WINUDA

parthbarot

In the zone
winrar winrar winrar winrar winrar winrar winrar winrar...........

in india y people is so intellignet bcs they get pirated softies.thats y they learn all the languages and packages and softies...

so no one gonna buy winrar while he can get cracks...from many sites....i shldn't mention here....

regards

AlienTech

In the zone
Using variable dictionary sizes is great when you are compressing project files which change from version to version IE version control. For example, You have games for US, Japan, EU, Asia etc and only a few things change in it. RAR for example would compress something to 40Megs, 7ZIP using 8MB dictionary size compresses it to 13MB. Yes RAR compression is twice as large.

As an example I took doom64, the Nintendo 64 version of doom for all the world markets each file is like 8megs in size (each 16 meg ROM is split into 2 files of 8 megs each). There is 1 file 16 megs in size which is not split up. So total of 8 files of 8megs and 1 of 16 megs. 7ZIP would compress this down to just over 8 megs in size. RAR would compress it down to 40 megs. Still down from the 83 megs originally...

So nothing beats it for version control. RAR does have variable dictionary sizes but nothing like 7Zip... This would work wonders for releasing different versions of the same program as well. So you can have many variations of the operating system or utilities etc. Like manybe 6 versions of Linux that fit on 1 cd.... I have to check to see if it will take 6 individually compressed files and do the same thing or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom