The Galaxy S thread!

OP
kalpik

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Sorry to disturb u guys again, but I'm a bit skeptical about buying SGS as I had an horrifying experience with Samsung and the customer care literally sucks...so, is the lag and GPS issue that big or can be overcome.

And the other important aspect is, will Samsung provide future updates to this cell, coz they are worst in that department as well.

Otherwise, has anybody used Dell Streak...can anybody comment on it please.
Customer care of ALL companies suck :p

The GPS and lag can be fixed once rooted (FOR NOW).. I've seen internal firmware which don't require any GPS or lag fix.. This firmware should be out in a few weeks..

As per software support, I can bet a million dollars that this phone will see Gingerbread at LEAST!

Hrithan2020

In the zone
Customer care of ALL companies suck :p

Yeah, to a certain extent. But, for me (But, I guess there'll be quite a few who've had bad experience with it also), Nokia Care was good.

The GPS and lag can be fixed once rooted (FOR NOW).. I've seen internal firmware which don't require any GPS or lag fix.. This firmware should be out in a few weeks..

Great news!! Completely agree about the lag fix. But, GPS Fix, not sure. (I'm using Darky's v5.2 ROM, before was using Doc's, for both GPS failed to lock, though it could be because of the area I was in).

As per software support, I can bet a million dollars that this phone will see Gingerbread at LEAST!

Agreed! And hopefully, custom ROM's for Honeycomb at least :))

ladoo1985

Broken In
Can Anybody please confirm me the price for SGS in Delhi?
As I think it would be selling a lot lesser over there than in Pune(Rs 27000/-).

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Guys, rooted my SGS few days ago.
Now want to try some custom ROMs...

Tell me which one to go for
Android Candy: [S.B] Samsung Galaxy S Custom ROM List

My SGS info as of now,
Firmware version: 2.2
Baseband version: I9000DDJP2
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9 root@SE-S605 #1
Build Number: FROYO.DDJP6

OP
kalpik

kalpik

Guys, rooted my SGS few days ago.
Now want to try some custom ROMs...

Tell me which one to go for
Android Candy: [S.B] Samsung Galaxy S Custom ROM List

My SGS info as of now,
Firmware version: 2.2
Baseband version: I9000DDJP2
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9 root@SE-S605 #1
Build Number: FROYO.DDJP6
Doc's ROMs are the best!

blue_earth

Broken In
I finally got the Galaxy S 2 days ago :)

However, I already have a list of problems:

1. Why does the battery drain so fast? I have tried everything! Screen Brightness minimum, BT , GPS and WIFI Off always. I noticed that turning of "Background Data" tends to solve this problem quite a bit. In fact, I am pretty sure it will last more than 1.5 days, like my Omnia Pro B7610. But turning off Background Sync disables Android Market and Gmail push! Is there any way to define a sync interval for Background Syncing?

2. I tried using Gmail as Exchange. Only emails are synched. Contacts and Calender does not sync over Activesync! My winmo does it better (and lasts longer with push on)

3. Kies DOES NOT work with my phone. Downloaded the latest version 1.5.3.10103_02_1 but still nothing happens! It remains stuck at "Connecting the Device" with that animated bar moving left and right. The phone shows some MTP Application Screen with "Connected" and the bottom and some animation below it. I fail to understand how to get it to work. Even though froyo is available, I can't have it because of Kies.

Any solutions anyone? I'm kinda regretting spending nearly 28k for this phone :-(

Help would be very much appreciated.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
This is a good news for Galaxy S owners, Gingerbread has been ported to it. Enjoy...

Android 2.3 code released, Gingerbread ported to Galaxy S - GSMArena.com news

Regards.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Okz....

A big help required here.
Was trying to install the latest ROM for SGS. In the process it told it requires 2e recovery and not 3e.
Tried Odin (the wrong one) and now I'm into AT&T loop!!!

Fed up of trying out all those different options.
Just tell me if it needs to be reported to Samsung service center or it can be saved in any other way?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I was not finding any solution, today morning I went to Samsung Service center.

Told them I was trying to upgrade my phone via Kies and connection got lost, now only thing I get is this AT&T logo.
They took it inside and came back asking if I've downloaded it from net. I told yes and claimed I don't have any fcuking idea what has happened to it.

They told they are gonna change the software and would return the phone within tomorrow.
No mention about charges here (fingers crossed)
Hope I get back my precious asap :cry:

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hmm.. An Odin flash would have fixed it!
And u reply now, after I sent it to service center.
But what is this Odin flash? While searching for a solution I did not come across this term.

Only solution was USB plug (JTAG or Jteg or something like that)

OP
kalpik

kalpik

Sorry.. Didn't see this earlier..

Here: [HOWTO] [REF] [FAQ] [Guides] [Tutorials] Flash/Root/ADB/ROM [MUST READ!] - xda-developers

Also, all info you will even need about Galaxy S: Samsung Galaxy S Series - XDA-Developers

Sorry.. Didn't see this earlier..

Here: [HOWTO] [REF] [FAQ] [Guides] [Tutorials] Flash/Root/ADB/ROM [MUST READ!] - xda-developers

Also, all info you will even need about Galaxy S: Samsung Galaxy S Series - XDA-Developers

Last edited:

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
I finally got the Galaxy S 2 days ago :)

However, I already have a list of problems:

1. Why does the battery drain so fast? I have tried everything! Screen Brightness minimum, BT , GPS and WIFI Off always. I noticed that turning of "Background Data" tends to solve this problem quite a bit. In fact, I am pretty sure it will last more than 1.5 days, like my Omnia Pro B7610. But turning off Background Sync disables Android Market and Gmail push! Is there any way to define a sync interval for Background Syncing?

No but you can do a selective sync. Also Android market doesn't get disabled if you disable background sync. There is no correlation between them.

*img191.imageshack.us/img191/9455/sync.png

2. I tried using Gmail as Exchange. Only emails are synched. Contacts and Calender does not sync over Activesync! My winmo does it better (and lasts longer with push on)

I am confused here. Do you use Microsoft Outlook at work? Are you on Android 2.1? If yes, then Android 2.1 only syncs mails; not calender and contacts. A workaround to this is to install Google Calender sync on your desktop PC and sync Exchange/Outlook with it.

Finally don't panic :).

blue_earth

Broken In
To be honest I didn't reply to his post as it looks more like an attempt to troll..

LOL. I guess looks can indeed be deceiving.

@amitabhishek: Thank you for being so kind to reply. Thankfully you don't think I am trolling. Quite frankly, I really don't have the time to do so :D

Anyways, I tried disabling background sync and starting android market. The moment it starts, it asks me to enable background sync or quit. There is no option to go ahead without enabling Background sync. This is what I meant by Android market getting disabled. I guess I'll have to manually enable background sync each time I want to download an app, which is gonna become a real pain after sometime.

I finally got Kies to work! :) Apparently, the USB drivers that come with kies somehow don't work with Galaxy S. Had to totally remove kies, clean the registry, download the drivers mentioned here: Connect Samsung Galaxy S with Kies on your PC - The MTP Error, reinstall and then got it to work! Upgraded to FroYo.

And no, I don't use Outlook. I was thinking of active syncing gmail instead of using the Gmail app as it would allow me to disable Background sync and yet get gmail pushed (correct me if I am wrong). Background Sync seems to be a real battery hog. I hope using Gmail as exchange doesn't take up so much battery and I can still get Push Mail.

Its a little disappointing to find out that after paying 28k for this device, I have to plug it in every 12-15 hours, if I wish to have the full android experience (i.e. having background sync with auto sync enabled). Using activesync as a workaround to get push mail kinda totally defeats the purpose.

Thanks for the help though :)

blue_earth

Broken In
@blue_earth, what r ur uses with this set?
Can u mention?

Well, they're pretty much straight forward. 7-10 calls a day, 20-25 sms/day, moderate amount of net browsing with opera mini (its fast!), wifi off, BT is generally off, GPS always off. Very less camera use (mayble twice or thrice a month). However, I have GMail push with the stock Gmail app that came along with it.

OP
kalpik

kalpik

Well, they're pretty much straight forward. 7-10 calls a day, 20-25 sms/day, moderate amount of net browsing with opera mini (its fast!), wifi off, BT is generally off, GPS always off. Very less camera use (mayble twice or thrice a month). However, I have GMail push with the stock Gmail app that came along with it.
What firmware version?

blue_earth

Broken In
What firmware version?

This is what I get in the "About Phone" Section:

Firmware Version: 2.2
Basebad Version: I9000DDJP2
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9 root@SE-S605 #1
Build Number: FroYo.DDJP6

I upgraded to FroYo via kies just yesterday. Its the official version. No roots or lag fixes applied.

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Have realistic expectations regarding the battery; if battery lasts from morning till evening on a single charge then its good IMHO. Remember your battery is still new and it will take time before it settles. Also it powers a device which has a giant AMOLED screen and is always connected so don't compare this phone with feature phones like Nokia.

If at all disable mobile network (i.e. GPRS) & wifi when not using them and set brightness to auto. Disabling auto sync defeats the purpose of this device.

OP
kalpik

kalpik

This is what I get in the "About Phone" Section:

Firmware Version: 2.2
Basebad Version: I9000DDJP2
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9 root@SE-S605 #1
Build Number: FroYo.DDJP6

I upgraded to FroYo via kies just yesterday. Its the official version. No roots or lag fixes applied.
The phone should last you one full day at least! Give it some time to settle..

Top Bottom