The entry-level DSLR battle

clickclick

Journeyman
I use lens pen and its really great....it have 2 heads...one for dust and other only for lens glass...the lens glass gets very clean...no marks at all

No you dont need any filter to protect ur lens glass...just keep the lens cap in pocket and put it as soon as ur shoot is over...even for 10-15 mins

Poor quality UV filter degrade the quality of picture...its not worth.

So i should avoid the UV filter. And what lens pen do u use? The one i saw on ebay has one head which is of carbon something :p and the other end has a soft bristle brush.

Thanks

mastervk

In the zone
You can use uv filter but don't use cheap ones.use at least hoya milti coated.
People are divided over using uv filter to protect lens.many use many don't.
For sub 20k lens you might not want to use.
@sujoy
What is the use of other end off lens pen(other than brush)
Might watch video to learn hote to use lens pen

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
@sujoy
What is the use of other end off lens pen(other than brush)
Might watch video to learn hote to use lens pen

Brush end is to dust off the dirt. Then use carbon fiber end to clean the surface. Dust, if it remains on lens, can scratch the lens.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Sony has high noise problem? Maybe with A37 but not with high end models. Foe example the Nex5N has better noise performance than 550D (both CMOS). Apparently Sony makes the sensors for Nikon. I guess people dont by Sony because of choice/price of lenses

sujoyp

Grand Master
Actually recently sony launched all its lens lineup in India...just 2-3 days back I read the news....and the Prices of lenses are very comparable to what Nikon and canon offers...But I dont know about the performance of the lenses....

I love there Idea of SLT models ...will check there lenses in detail before comming into any conclusion

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Sony is the leader when it comes to sensors. They were the first to develop BSI CMOS. The evf is great too. Very bright and 100% accurate (in a99)

OP
A

aadi007

Journeyman
Marvel/Sujoy and others,
Can you please check out the high ISO performance of Sony A37 vs D5100?
As far as I know, A37 uses the same sensor which is available in A57. I would also expect the sensor to be same as NEX-5N

I always thought Sony is the leader in sensors and their sensors are used by other manufactures like Nikon,Olympus etc.
So, I was surprised to hear the feedback that their sensor is more noisy.

All,

I found this site: www.dxomark.com

It has ratings for sensors and lenses. I dont know if they are accurate but seems to be really helpful.
As per the site, in terms of sensors -

Nikon D3200 > D5100> Sony A57 (37) > D3100 > Canon 550D > Canon 1100D

Is the Sony NEX-5N available in India?

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
1. 5N is not available here
2. DxO Mark is the most reliable sensor rating website
3. I looked up D5100 vs A37 and found A37 to perform better at ISO1600

nac

Aspiring Novelist
DXO yet to rate A37. IQ of Sony SLT's are better than Canon peers and ISO performance are on par with Canon (more or less). As per DXO ratings, Nikon's DSLR (above D3100) took a big leap in IQ and ISO performance.

OP
A

aadi007

Journeyman
@nac: we can use Sony A57 for comparison..A37 has the same sensor.
@prashant: Nikon seems to have the best ISO performance (D5100 and above). Sony has similar ISO performance as Canon, while it scores much better than Canon overall

sujoyp

Grand Master
Sony would have performed that well but as u know its SLT thats it have transluscent shutter...which actually does not move...but it looses some light and due to that loss of 20-25% light the sensor may produce poorer image or grainier image...

I will read the review today and tell u the conclusion :)

Sony's prices are good...look at sony's site *www.sony.co.in/productcategory/dslr-camera-lens

And I read the review of A37....it seems good for video with full time focus...and inbuilt stabilizationn is really useful

the 7 fps is kindof myth....coz its jpeg...in raw it can take only 6 raw at 1 burst.

Good for new guys..

OP
A

aadi007

Journeyman
Need some help!

Today I tried out the D5100 and Canon 550D at a shop.
One problem, more so with D5100 is that when I look through the view finder, I am unable to see the aperture,shutter speed,ISO values etc..
I tried the diopter adjustments but it don't help...I don't wear glasses.

Canon was a bit better but still not easy enuff to read.

sujoyp

Grand Master
u mean they r soo dull that u were unable to see or u mean it was not there itself....I think in my D3100 I can see ISO,aperture,shots remaining and info like that...will have to check again

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Need some help!

Today I tried out the D5100 and Canon 550D at a shop.
One problem, more so with D5100 is that when I look through the view finder, I am unable to see the aperture,shutter speed,ISO values etc..
I tried the diopter adjustments but it don't help...I don't wear glasses.

Canon was a bit better but still not easy enuff to read.

That is odd. I have the 600D which is essentially identical to the 550D and its viewfinder displays those values very clearly. I'm not sure of the Nikon as I havent tried it. But what you saw seems to be specific to that particular piece. Or maybe the dioptre adjustment, but I'm not sure.

@nac: we can use Sony A57 for comparison..A37 has the same sensor.
@prashant: Nikon seems to have the best ISO performance (D5100 and above). Sony has similar ISO performance as Canon, while it scores much better than Canon overall

*www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos600d/16

And set the cameras you want to compare in the widget and a high ISO like 3200. I personally find the sony A57 > canon 600D > Nikon 5100 when you check for blotchiness..

sujoyp

Grand Master
BTW u guys know A37 and A57 is discontinued in some of japaneese and US sites...maybe in Jan 2013 sony may launch a upgraded version

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Aadi, It's sad you are not OK with the VF. But I think you should give it a try one more time. It shouldn't be that bad... Ask the sales rep or someone in the showroom.

Sujoy, He does see things but not clear enough...
And about "discontinued models". It's not even a year... May be some wrong info, like the one we heard for D800 few months back...

Top Bottom