The entry-level DSLR battle

sujoyp

Grand Master
Its possible that they got discontinued coz even nikon J2 is discontinued for Nikon J3 and S1

Sony SLT a37, a57 cameras and 70-400mm lens listed as discontiunued | Photo Rumors

OP
A

aadi007

Journeyman
I meant that the values are shown in the VF but not clear enough for me to read..
Canon 550D was better than D5100 but still required lot of effort to read...I think my eyesight is fine, never had any issues with my eye.

May be its got to do with the condition of the display pieces at the showroom.
I have asked one of my colleagues to get his Canon 550D, will try once more.

Thanks for all your replies.

OP
A

aadi007

Journeyman
Finally, got a chance to play with the Canon 550D.
Played quite a lot with the settings - ISO/shutter speed etc...
Also, changed lenses...we had a 50 mm F/1.8 for portraits and a 24-105 general purpose lens.
Was able to get gr8 shallow DOF images with the portait lens :D
I absolutely loved the feel of the camera. The controls are amazing, the response is super fast. Now, I am convinced that if I and when I upgrade, I will buy a DSLR or a mirrorless one.

No more P&S for me.

After spending a lot of time reading reviews, I have concluded that Nikon 5100D and upwards has a huge advantage in image quality particularly at high ISO compared to Canon.
But Canon has an edge in handling/ergonomics.

So, between the 550D/600D/5100D, which one will be your suggestion?
And what about autofocus speeds - very important for me.
I learnt that Nikon DSLRs do not have in built AF motor. Does it have any problems in real life regarding autofocus speed/size and price of lenses?

Using the normal kit lens, is there any noticeable difference in autofocus performance of Nikon D5100 with a Canon 550D/600D?

Last edited:

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
When I was about to buy my first DSLR, I did a pretty extensive research on exactly these models.
Nikon 5100 does NOT have any advantage in high ISO situation. I have checked that part myself and will not accept anyone else's results. In fact its quite the opposite. The 550D and 600D were perceivably better IQwise at higher ISOs.

If I were you, Ill put my money on the Canon 1100D or the 550D if you dont like the handling of the former.
For one, Nikon cameras at this price range generally have a slightly better build and finish as compared to the Canon counterparts. And slightly better handling too. But its no deal breaker. Now I am used to my 600D and I dont notice it at all.

The Canon 1100D is insane VFM compared to both the 5100D and 550D. I once found it selling at 21.*k on ebay. That is impossible to not love.

Stay away from the 3200D BTW. Its a step in the wrong direction IQ-wise.

I was cribbing I didnt get a Sony a37 (for its fast shooting abilities) until I tried one at croma the other day. If you are a manual-focus fan (which you should be) the EVF is a bad choice. Just stay away.

Try the 1100D, 5100D and 550D. You'll find one of them perfect for you.

Point to note about the Canon cameras is that the Live view mode is pretty useless. So I wouldnt exactly recommend the 600D for its flip-out LCD.

OP
A

aadi007

Journeyman
When I was about to buy my first DSLR, I did a pretty extensive research on exactly these models.
Nikon 5100 does NOT have any advantage in high ISO situation. I have checked that part myself and will not accept anyone else's results. In fact its quite the opposite. The 550D and 600D were perceivably better IQwise at higher ISOs.

If I were you, Ill put my money on the Canon 1100D or the 550D if you dont like the handling of the former.
For one, Nikon cameras at this price range generally have a slightly better build and finish as compared to the Canon counterparts. And slightly better handling too. But its no deal breaker. Now I am used to my 600D and I dont notice it at all.

The Canon 1100D is insane VFM compared to both the 5100D and 550D. I once found it selling at 21.*k on ebay. That is impossible to not love.

Stay away from the 3200D BTW. Its a step in the wrong direction IQ-wise.

I was cribbing I didnt get a Sony a37 (for its fast shooting abilities) until I tried one at croma the other day. If you are a manual-focus fan (which you should be) the EVF is a bad choice. Just stay away.

Try the 1100D, 5100D and 550D. You'll find one of them perfect for you.

Point to note about the Canon cameras is that the Live view mode is pretty useless. So I wouldnt exactly recommend the 600D for its flip-out LCD.

Thanks for the reply mate.
I do not think 1100D is a good camera...it has too many compromises to keep the price low. My colleague has one and I have played extensively with it and I dont like it at all...it doesnt even have a rubberised hand grip, forget other things.

About 5100D, I do not have practical experience...I think 550D images are good upto ISO 800 may be 1600...but as per reviews, theimage quality of 5100D at higher ISO's is several notches higher than 550D/600D. Not one, but all reviews (from sites which I refer) suggest the same.
Any other views on the same? For me, image quality and fast focus, operation are the primary criteria.

The choice is between 5100D and 550D/600D

raja manuel

In the zone
The very first time I took my 600D out in public I found the flip out LCD and live view mode to be very useful as I was shooting above the heads of people who were crowding around a speaker. I continue to find this feature very useful when covering public functions unobtrusively.
I wouldn't call Live exposure simulation or the greater focus accuracy of CDAF useless either.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I understand that all the reviews praise the 5100D over the Canons. But I will take no review over my own observations :)
Also go to dpreview.com and in the reviews they have a widget to compare the images (in the "compared to" pages). Set the ISO to something like 1600 and check out 1100D,5100D and 550D. You'll be surprised.

Regarding the 1100D again, what are the features other than the rubber grip that you found missing?
Personally even my decision was to avoid the 1100D fro the plastic grip. But If you can find it a 21k, then (I paid 33.5 for my 600d) ? ;)

The live exposure simulation MAY be useful to some, but I'd much rather stick to the viewfinder EV scale to check for exposure and them manually have a look at the result to verify. Contrast focus system may be more accurate, but its painfully slow on this camera, near useless unless you have a still subject. That's just my view.

Regarding focus speed, I find that in decent light the focus of the 600D is decently fast, and that probably is true of the other two as well. I cant quite remember how the Nikon felt in this regard, so no comments there. In low light though the focus struggles quite a bit, but remember that I am talking of really low light conditions here, conditions so bad (11w cfl illuminating the verandah and I'm trying to focus on a grey cat about 20ft away from the bulb on the ground outside) that I dont really expect the focus to do any better for the price. IQ is good in all the four cameras and there is nearly nothing to separate them in that regard.

Last edited:

raja manuel

In the zone
I agree with pranav on the image quality part. I was originally considering the D5100 but when I compared the images on review sites I couldn't see picture quality as being a differentiator. I did see that post processing skill counted for a lot in real world use.

As for the 1100D vs. 550D/600D debate, one of my colleagues has a 1100D and I have seen him work magic with it.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Guys the sensor ISO is gradually getting better n better with every generation...

So basically both companies are plying mind games...get any of them
D5xxx is definitely better in focus and featues then D3xxx
and canon 1xxxD is inferior to xxxD ...both in focus speed and features

I use D3100 and miss only the bracketing option which is available in d5xxx series...remaining all is just fine
Pic quality of all of them is nearly same and ISO depends on generation of sensor.

Best thing is go to a shop and feel the cam yourself...its much easier to judge that way.

And if u r again thinking of lenses then both have equally good lens choices...equally comparative

navin00

Ezio Auditore da Firenze
Hello Guys,
I am going to buy my 1st DSLR my budget is around 40k, I don't know what should i look for here are my options..
1.Canon 600D with 18-55 lens
2.Sony Alpha A57K SLT SLR with 18-55 mm lens.
3.Canon EOS 550D SLR same kit
4.Canon D5100 same kit.

I am total mediocre in the field of buying DSLR camera but have some desire for brilliant shots.
Its all up to you guys help me out with any solution.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
You have narrowed down the models. Now what you have to do is... just check 'em in a local store and decide.

mastervk

In the zone
If you can extend your budget buy any of above dslr with tamron 17 50 non vc instead of kit lens.
Note that kit lens is very capable lens ..

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Almost all are equally good. It's just a matter of preference. Personally, I haven't tried a camera with EVF. So most likely I won't be considering Sony unless I am getting it as a gift ;)

Between 550D and 600D, I may likely to choose 550D as it does have price advantage and similar performance.

So, it's between 550D vs D5100. It's tight, but I will end up picking Canon over Nikon.

sujoyp

Grand Master
In my opinion
1. 550D is not available in market now...soo its very rare chance....u will get 600D available
2. Since Sony have launched all there lenses and third party lenses r equally available I will consider it a good option
Also sony have advantages of better video,inbody stabilisation,faster fps etc.
3. Nikon d5100 is good DSLR with best built among suggested...but D5200 is just comming very soon..

Soo final advise ....if you can wait a month...get d5200 ...it have awesome specs :)

If going right now D5100>A57>canon 600D

sujoyp

Grand Master
I dont think its anywhere a bad deal if u get D5200+18-55 for 42-43k

It have AF and maybe metering system of D7000 and also it have the latest sensor which will come in D7100 to be announced this year.

navin00

Ezio Auditore da Firenze
Today hopped into some shops and took a demo of Canon 600d and nikon d5100 both of them are good but d5100 is a bit whitish in daylight shots and i did not like this instability as i don't know technical facts about DSLR but what i feel like i should go for canon.

what say guys is my decision is right..?

Top Bottom