The Complete Smartphone Buyer's Guide

ajaymailed

In the zone
Re: Mobile Buying Guide: November 2012

Sam, how about having some reliable benchmarks for smartphones in your guide. one can actually compare the hardware, browser performance too before choosing their smartphone. with lot of Cortex A5 powered phones recently in market, their real performance can be compared to an older Cortex A8, Scorpion. till recently i didnt knew how powerful Krait Soc was and kept assuming it only slightly better than Cortex A9 even though i saw HTC One S benchmarks giving huge performance gains.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

that will be too much trouble for me. i'll leave that part for users to do a bit of searching and find which is better.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

Looks like I better stay with my LG Optimus One for now unless I can up my budget. Seems like it's not a good idea to upgrade to a lower end phone from another lower end phone. Also LG Optimus One is much better product in terms of VFM.

ajaymailed

In the zone

how come Nokia Asha phones are doing so well in the market, oudated ARM 11 Procs, Lower RAM. Asha 305 has a resistive touch screen. Asha like feature phones probably saved Nokias cash reserves in 3rd quarter, they have been able to increase sales of feature phones slowing down the downfall. MMX, Karbonn, Spice probably arent doing enough. or may be people buying phones under 6-7K don't care much about OS, Functionality.
Nokia: How Asha series basic phones can change company's fortunes - Times Of India

Last edited:

arjoonpk

Broken In

heyy mannn.... first of all... awesome work.... now please can u also help me out.... I am planning on buying a new mobile..... i have narrowed down my list to-
1. galaxy s duos
2. galaxy s advance
3. galaxy s 2

right now i have a budget of 16 k exactly enough to buy s duos.... but i'm not sure 's duos' is a good buy for 16k...
what do you suggest... need i wait a little more, add some more k's to my budget, n go for "s advance"
or further more to get an "s 2".......
seeing the specs i am satisfied with "s advance" ... only that its rear look doesnt impress me...... but thats tolerable....
how do you rate 'these 3 phones, relative of their prices......
please do help me out....

perplexed

Journeyman

heyy mannn.... first of all... awesome work.... now please can u also help me out.... I am planning on buying a new mobile..... i have narrowed down my list to-
1. galaxy s duos
2. galaxy s advance
3. galaxy s 2

right now i have a budget of 16 k exactly enough to buy s duos.... but i'm not sure 's duos' is a good buy for 16k...
what do you suggest... need i wait a little more, add some more k's to my budget, n go for "s advance"
or further more to get an "s 2".......
seeing the specs i am satisfied with "s advance" ... only that its rear look doesnt impress me...... but thats tolerable....
how do you rate 'these 3 phones, relative of their prices......
please do help me out....

S advance has lived much beyond than what it was meant to be.. expect no future updates on it !!! S2 is total CLASS !! go for it if possible !!

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?

Hey.. I need a dual sim low budget phone.. Gone through your first post and shortlisted Nokia 110,112 , Samsung E2252. But..

Nokia 110,112 - No USB Connectivity.
Samsung E2252 - Many negative reviews (like not user friendly, lack of functionalites) found in Samsung's site.

Any other phone you recommend at maximum of 2500 Rs. USB connectivity, comfortablity in texting is preferable. No touchscreen phone plz.

doom2010

Journeyman

@sam
In the 20-25k section check the sony xperia p GPU i think its Mali 400MP instead of Mali 400 (single core).

ajaymailed

In the zone

Sam, have you observed in some browser benchmarks like BrowserMark, Sunspider we see Exynos powered Galaxy devices generally top, outperform even superior architecture like Krait which have far higher raw power. Krait blows every Cortex A9 Soc out of water in Linpack, Benchmark Pi but for some reason don't show similar performance in overall system benchmarks like Geekbench, Quadrant, AnTuTu and severely under perform in browser benchmarks. HTC One S, Optimus G, Nexus 4 and even the HTC One X/Tegra 3. But Note 2 & S3 perform consistently well in system & browser benchmarks, they generally top those benchmarks with except for iphone 5 & Rarz I which is powered by atom.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

@sam
In the 20-25k section check the sony xperia p GPU i think its Mali 400MP instead of Mali 400 (single core).

U8500 has single core Mali 400 which powers Xperia U, Go, Sola, P. It can be that the GPU is clocked higher in case of Xperia P. Else don't think it is possible to add more GPU cores to a chipset that way which generally ships with a single core Mali 400 GPU.

Sure? I saw here and in USB connectivity it is saying as no. Can you connect this phone via USB and sync contacts,messages etc.?

don't go for flipkart's spec. Check the pictures and as the mobile supports memory card, USB port is a must.

Sam, have you observed in some browser benchmarks like BrowserMark, Sunspider we see Exynos powered Galaxy devices generally top, outperform even superior architecture like Krait which have far higher raw power. Krait blows every Cortex A9 Soc out of water in Linpack, Benchmark Pi but for some reason don't show similar performance in overall system benchmarks like Geekbench, Quadrant, AnTuTu and severely under perform in browser benchmarks. HTC One S, Optimus G, Nexus 4 and even the HTC One X/Tegra 3. But Note 2 & S3 perform consistently well in system & browser benchmarks, they generally top those benchmarks with except for iphone 5 & Rarz I which is powered by atom.

some of these manufacturers optimize the OS for a particular task better (HTC is known to optimize & customize the browser if i remember). That can be one reason why LG mobile always take bottom spot. with Samsung & HTC coming as top 2.

shahidrajouri

Right off the assembly line

Sam bro I think you have a sound knowledge of Mobiles especially Androids. I am coming from the symbian world towards Android. Initially i set my buying price range for an android phone to upto 15k than searched the net and found that 15k is not enough to get a good phone, than 20k and now i will manage upto 25k for a decent android phone. but i am in a lot of confusion. I am a heavy mobile user and want for browsing, hd games, a decent camera up to 8Mp.
some suggest for Samsung galaxy s2, other suggest galaxy nexus and still other suggest for xperia p. Now totally confused that which one to buy.
I not going to change for 3 to 4 years, please suggest one that could survive for atleast 2 years in terms of updates.
thanks in advance.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Sam bro I think you have a sound knowledge of Mobiles especially Androids. I am coming from the symbian world towards Android. Initially i set my buying price range for an android phone to upto 15k than searched the net and found that 15k is not enough to get a good phone, than 20k and now i will manage upto 25k for a decent android phone. but i am in a lot of confusion. I am a heavy mobile user and want for browsing, hd games, a decent camera up to 8Mp.
some suggest for Samsung galaxy s2, other suggest galaxy nexus and still other suggest for xperia p. Now totally confused that which one to buy.
I not going to change for 3 to 4 years, please suggest one that could survive for atleast 2 years in terms of updates.
thanks in advance.

S2 is really old now. It is a power house but for same price you'll find better hardware. Galaxy Nexus is sold unofficially so if you care about warranty then skip it. But hardware wise GNext is a nice deal for 20-22k. Xperia P is slightly underpowered for what it offers. If you are selling out 25k, add 2k more and grab any of these: LG Optimus 4X HD, Sony Xperia S, HTC One S. One S is the cheapest of the lot but has similar hardware to Xperia S but with non-expandable memory as well as less resolution display and if you like playing games, better invest in one with expandable memory as 16GB card is cheap and most games have size of 1.5-2GB which will fill up the internal space really fast.

And if you care about official updates, none of these will get timely updates. Also i doubt the companies will support them for long but all of them will get unofficial update from Cyanogenmod team.

shahidrajouri

Right off the assembly line

Thanks sam for quick reply, 25k is the last boundary for me, can't spend more than this. Now which one in this sum?
yesterday read an add on "olx" someone is selling s3 1 month of age in 26000, should i go for it? haven't seen the condition yet.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

deal looks nice but a month old S3 for 26k. Something can be wrong here.

If you are not in a hurry, keep an eye on HS18 SuperDeals. They sometimes offer highend mobile with 5-6k discount so Xperia S & 4X HD should fall under your budget. Else your only option is HTC One S or Xperia P.

Top Bottom