the Arch Linux thread

Re: The Dark Side :Arch Linux

arch is a better option compared to gentoo :p IMO that is :D
what exactly IS this KDEmod thing ? Is it a new interface with KDE which is more than just the default KDE ? Does it look as good as this: ?

*img224.imageshack.us/img224/1817/cooldeskhg1.th.png

That's just a statement made by some random n00b.
but a n00b was n00bish enough not to notice it.

Last edited:
OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

what exactly IS this KDEmod thing ? Is it a new interface with KDE which is more than just the default KDE ? Does it look as good as this: ?

As per their web site here

KDEmod is a modular and tweaked package set of the K Desktop Environment that has been optimized for Arch Linux. It contains additional patches for eyecandy and functionality and a slightly enhanced Qt3 installation, and is available in Arch´s standard .pkg.tar.gz package format for i686 and x86_64.

Here are some screenshots

ihihihi KDEmod looks attractive now. Mwahahahahaha. Gautham Khush Hua. :twisted:

I guess this saturday night I will be free to install Arch.

@anyone who can help: Since I already use KDE on Sidux, can I keep my current configuration files and expect them to work on arch ?

praka123

left this forum longback

a difference - kdemod installs on /opt/ dir.inorder to prevent resident kde which is installed on default(if u choose to!).

a difference - kdemod installs on /opt/ dir.inorder to prevent resident kde which is installed on default(if u choose to!).
What I am going to do is to first install IceWM. (Hopefully one day I will be skilled enough to make an IceMod :(). Then I will use xterm for all the installing and chat via irssi to you guys at #think-digit and get the install over with.

But one problem arises. I wanted to try arch so that I get a light distro running Xfce. :(
Now KDEmod has made me greedy all over again and like debian, I again want to use KDE. :cry:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

^^Stick with the one you like, am using gnome on Arch (just coz it suits to my taste)

Greed is a bitter thing.

^^Stick with the one you like, am using gnome on Arch (just coz it suits to my taste)

Greed is a bitter thing.
well, I "like" KDE. But unfortunately I am too poor to run it. (in a manner of speaking).
I find Xfce 4.4 to be a good Gnome 2.22 alternative. But I don't like it as much.

And if I install KDE, then I won't install Xfce, LXDE, Gnome or any other Desktop Environment. I would just get myself some lighter KDE apps and install IceWM.

Pat

Beyond Smart

^^ You have the option of installing the "base" edition of KDEmod, which has just the base packages,few libraries and a very, very minimal set of applications. That is the version I am using and my system is really very responsive. I think you should give it a shot too..

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero

@FilledVoid, I don't intend to disturb your exams, but just buzz me please(on IRC) when you take a break from cramming :p. I'm planning Arch-64 today on my main PC and would appreciate if you have any/some pointers on 64bit.

Last edited:

installed
booted
text mode
damn
where do I find the install guide and beginners guide ?

or atleast tell me someplace on the net where I can get the text versions of both. I intend to place them in my root directory and open them.

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

@FilledVoid, I don't intend to disturb your exams, but just buzz me please(on IRC) when you take a break from cramming . I'm planning Arch-64 today on my main PC and would appreciate if you have any/some pointers on 64bit.

No problem I just messaged you . Check your PMs.

installed
booted
text mode
damn
where do I find the install guide and beginners guide ?

or atleast tell me someplace on the net where I can get the text versions of both. I intend to place them in my root directory and open them.

LOLOLOLOLOL How many times have everyone already told you . The beginner guide comes on the Install media.

Code:
Documentation

The guide you are now reading is available on the live system. Change to vc/2 with <ALT>-F2 and do:

less /arch/beginnersguide.txt

Less will allow you to page through the document. Change back to vc/1 with <ALT>-F1.

Change back to vc/2 if you need to reference the Beginners' Guide at any time.

amitava82

MMO Addict

hey it wasn't my fault.. I didn't even know wtf was Arch. At least I didn't go through docs or 10 forum posts before installing it like MHG.. >.<

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

hey it wasn't my fault.. I didn't even know wtf was Arch. At least I didn't go through docs or 10 forum posts before installing it like MHG.. >.<

Lol yes but all of you could have seen the Beginners Guide :) its included in the Install Media.

amitava82

MMO Addict

No thats not the point, this is the point:
*img261.imageshack.us/img261/2653/motivator7828186tv0sz3.th.jpg

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

Hahah yes thats one of those classic Fails by d1g1t :D. But anyway here's their view about it.

Many GNU/Linux distributions define themselves as “simple”. However, simplicity itself has many definitions.

Arch Linux defines simplicity as a lightweight base structure without unnecessary additions, modifications, or complications, that allows an individual user to shape the system according to their own needs. In short; an elegant, minimalist approach.

A lightweight base structure does not mean that the base system is small. Rather, the base system is devoid of all clutter that may obscure important parts of the system, or make access to them difficult or convoluted. It has a streamlined set of configuration files that are arranged for quick access and editing, with no cumbersome graphical configuration tools that tend to hide possibilities from the user. An Arch Linux system is therefore readily configurable to the very last detail.

On the other hand, Arch Linux keeps the inherent complexities of a GNU/Linux system intact, while exposing them to the user at the same time. Arch Linux developers and users believe that trying to hide the complexities of a system actually results in an even more complex system, and is therefore to be avoided.
Source : *wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way

Top Bottom