the Arch Linux thread

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Re: The Dark Side :Arch Linux

The GTK intergration sucks. Isn't there a way to apply firefox theme to GTK ?
Err... FF neither uses Qt nor GTK.. so you can't actually apply a "gtk" theme to it.

Tango looks ugly compared to Crystal SVG. I wonder why these guys chose tango.
Tango is fugly!

Arch is much more simple than I expected. I am surprised why Ubuntu is the newbie oriented distro and not Arch. Its so easy to use, its simply unnerving at times.
sudo apt-get convenience... and the sheer number of binary apps available.

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

Gentoo is just too good for you. You can never install gentoo.
Actually Gentoo isn't good enough for me is the right case. If I was so adamant on installing it I would. The only thing I can't bear is compiling for hours. The performance difference is probably going to be negligible and not to mention that I have more than ample resources to run anything I choose to.

The only reason I was thinking of trying Gentoo was pretty much what Qwerty said. You'll learn a load of stuff while doing it. Otherwise

Gentoo isn't good enough for me. Not Vice versa as you put it.

Last edited:

HA! In Soviet Russia kernel panics YOU!!

Using live cd, eh? You aren't fit to use gentoo.
I downloaded the live CD because it serves more than one purpose - it can act as an emergency recovary CD and at the same time I can install gentoo off it.
Hell, even arch is a live CD :p

PS: I doubt I would ever install gentoo-linux (though I might try gentoo-bsd) because It lacks KDEmod :p

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

Once again, you aren't fit to use gentoo. Do you even know anything about gentoo? One can easily avoid meta-packages, set right use flags, optimise the CXXFLAGS and achieve better results than kdemod. Maybe not so simple as using KDEmod but still better, IMO.

Once again, you aren't fit to use gentoo. Do you even know anything about gentoo? One can easily avoid meta-packages, set right use flags, optimise the CXXFLAGS and achieve better results than kdemod. Maybe not so simple as using KDEmod but still better, IMO.
I know, but it all comes at a cost - I need to compile a hell lot of big packages :mad:
You think P4 2.66GHz and 256MB DDR1 400MHz RAM will give me good compile times ? :p

besides, here too I can avoid meta-packages, set right use flags and some other things I didn't try yet. all that is done in pacman.conf or just while installing :)

no idea :p
but I never felt the need to do anything like that...

the options available with pacman are so good that the only complaint I have is that for many things, the pacman commands get unnessarily long :mad:

KDEmod is simply too beautiful... the KDE control center rocks. :D I can find all options there, including one to make GTK apps like firefox look KDE native :D :D :D

^ so ,atlast you found what is kdemod ? :|
???
I didn't quite get you...

as for performance, I barely notice much differences...

firefox hangs like hell... whats up with it ?

and wtf is kaboodle there in preference to kaffeine ? they have a horrible sense of choice...

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

edit you ~/.bashrc file metaaaaaaaaaaaal

add alises like

alias ls="ls -la"
alias cls="clear"
alias ns="netstat -t"

lolz

Top Bottom